* linux-v5.10.y-dovetail
@ 2021-05-20 18:35 Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2021-05-20 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum; +Cc: Xenomai

Hi Philippe,

first, is source.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai4/linux-evl.git already
replacing git.evlproject.org/linux-evl.git? At least CI is currently
stuck over the latter [update: was stuck, it's moving again].

Regarding 5.10, I think we are getting closer to the point where our
users also need a merging stable branch to track what happens
dovetail-wise (at least I have such folks). Would you move
linux-v5.10.y-dovetail in that way forward from now on? Or is there a
need for one more hard rebase first?

Some linux-v5.10.y-dovetail-rebase for the latest version could still be
provided in order to ease export to downstream kernels. That would bring
us in line with how -rt is maintained e.g.

If you need help on the stable side, let me know.

Thanks,
Jan

* Re: linux-v5.10.y-dovetail
@ 2021-05-22 10:02 ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2021-05-22 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Xenomai

Hi Jan,

Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> writes:

> Hi Philippe,
>
> first, is source.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai4/linux-evl.git already
> replacing git.evlproject.org/linux-evl.git? At least CI is currently
> stuck over the latter [update: was stuck, it's moving again].

Not yet, I'll announce when the switch to
source.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai4 is complete, with a grace period of one
week from that point to update the automated procedures there may be,
before the trees at git.evlproject.org are decommissioned eventually. In
the meantime, I'll make sure both sides remain on sync.

> Regarding 5.10, I think we are getting closer to the point where our
> users also need a merging stable branch to track what happens
> dovetail-wise (at least I have such folks). Would you move
> linux-v5.10.y-dovetail in that way forward from now on? Or is there a
> need for one more hard rebase first?
>
> Some linux-v5.10.y-dovetail-rebase for the latest version could still be
> provided in order to ease export to downstream kernels. That would bring
> us in line with how -rt is maintained e.g.
>
> If you need help on the stable side, let me know.

I don't plan to maintain merging branches myself, only rebase ones. I'll
rename the stable branches to *-rebase shortly, in order to follow the
same convention as -rt, clearing the namespace for pulling the work of
whoever wants to maintain merging branches.

--
Philippe.

* Re: linux-v5.10.y-dovetail
@ 2021-05-23 12:58   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2021-05-23 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum; +Cc: Xenomai

On 22.05.21 12:02, Philippe Gerum wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Philippe,
>>
>> first, is source.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai4/linux-evl.git already
>> replacing git.evlproject.org/linux-evl.git? At least CI is currently
>> stuck over the latter [update: was stuck, it's moving again].
>>

> Not yet, I'll announce when the switch to
> source.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai4 is complete, with a grace period of one
> week from that point to update the automated procedures there may be,
> before the trees at git.evlproject.org are decommissioned eventually. In
> the meantime, I'll make sure both sides remain on sync.

OK, then it was fine to switch CI already.

>> Regarding 5.10, I think we are getting closer to the point where our
>> users also need a merging stable branch to track what happens
>> dovetail-wise (at least I have such folks). Would you move
>> linux-v5.10.y-dovetail in that way forward from now on? Or is there a
>> need for one more hard rebase first?
>>
>> Some linux-v5.10.y-dovetail-rebase for the latest version could still be
>> provided in order to ease export to downstream kernels. That would bring
>> us in line with how -rt is maintained e.g.
>>
>> If you need help on the stable side, let me know.
>>

> I don't plan to maintain merging branches myself, only rebase ones. I'll
> rename the stable branches to *-rebase shortly, in order to follow the
> same convention as -rt, clearing the namespace for pulling the work of
> whoever wants to maintain merging branches.

Sounds good. Then I will create the merges. I suppose will that also be
useful to append some -rebase to tag applied to rebased branched, to
avoid conflicts with the merging branch.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, T RDA IOT

* Re: linux-v5.10.y-dovetail
@ 2021-05-23 13:17     ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2021-05-23 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Xenomai

Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> writes:

> On 22.05.21 12:02, Philippe Gerum wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Philippe,
>>>
>>> first, is source.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai4/linux-evl.git already
>>> replacing git.evlproject.org/linux-evl.git? At least CI is currently
>>> stuck over the latter [update: was stuck, it's moving again].
>>>

>> Not yet, I'll announce when the switch to
>> source.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai4 is complete, with a grace period of one
>> week from that point to update the automated procedures there may be,
>> before the trees at git.evlproject.org are decommissioned eventually. In
>> the meantime, I'll make sure both sides remain on sync.
>>

> OK, then it was fine to switch CI already.
>
>>> Regarding 5.10, I think we are getting closer to the point where our
>>> users also need a merging stable branch to track what happens
>>> dovetail-wise (at least I have such folks). Would you move
>>> linux-v5.10.y-dovetail in that way forward from now on? Or is there a
>>> need for one more hard rebase first?
>>>
>>> Some linux-v5.10.y-dovetail-rebase for the latest version could still be
>>> provided in order to ease export to downstream kernels. That would bring
>>> us in line with how -rt is maintained e.g.
>>>
>>> If you need help on the stable side, let me know.
>>>

>> I don't plan to maintain merging branches myself, only rebase ones. I'll
>> rename the stable branches to *-rebase shortly, in order to follow the
>> same convention as -rt, clearing the namespace for pulling the work of
>> whoever wants to maintain merging branches.
>>

> Sounds good. Then I will create the merges. I suppose will that also be
> useful to append some -rebase to tag applied to rebased branched, to
> avoid conflicts with the merging branch.

Indeed. I'll run a script asap.

--
Philippe.