* MT7612U WiFi USB dongle that start ad CDROM (contain Windows driver)
@ 2020-11-30 12:57 Menion
From: Menion @ 2020-11-30 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi all

I have just received a chinese USB dongle based on Mediatek MT7612U
that is quite particular...

When plugged in it starts with VID_0E8D&PID_2870 showing itself as a
SCSI CDROM, which can be mounted and contains the windows driver. In
windows, once you install such driver, it switches to the well known
VID_0E8D&PID_7612 detected as a Mediatek adapter and working ok.

In Linux of course it remains stuck at the "CDROM mode".

Is it something known at mt76 development and that can be managed?

* Re: MT7612U WiFi USB dongle that start ad CDROM (contain Windows driver)
@ 2020-11-30 15:13 ` Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2020-11-30 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Menion, linux-wireless

On Mon, 2020-11-30 at 13:57 +0100, Menion wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have just received a chinese USB dongle based on Mediatek MT7612U
> that is quite particular...
>
> When plugged in it starts with VID_0E8D&PID_2870 showing itself as a
> SCSI CDROM, which can be mounted and contains the windows driver. In
> windows, once you install such driver, it switches to the well known
> VID_0E8D&PID_7612 detected as a Mediatek adapter and working ok.
>
> In Linux of course it remains stuck at the "CDROM mode".
>
> Is it something known at mt76 development and that can be managed?

This is usually handled by the usb_modeswitch utility. Do you have it
installed? If you do, you may need to add the USB IDs to it.

Dan