* [OE-core] The state of DKMS in the Yocto community
@ 2021-12-10 20:58 Alex Stewart
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alex Stewart @ 2021-12-10 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hey List,

I'm trying to work out the mysterious state of DKMS in OE-Core.

Our (NI) OE distributions rely heavily on DKMS to (un)install our
ecosystem of kernel drivers at runtime across our product lines. To
facilitate that, we authored a dkms_2.4.0.bb recipe [1] back in 2017,
which we have carried out-of-stream since.

We tried to upstream it, and the patched rev'ed a couple of times [2];
but it seems to have never made it into a yocto release.

Though some other recipes mention DKMS passingly, I don't see anywhere
that OE-Core officially supports it. Nor does my googling reveal anyone
else who uses DKMS. I find that a little hard to believe, though I
understand that it's probably relatively rare in the embedded space.

@all
So does anyone else on the list use DKMS in their yocto distribution?
Are you maintaining a DKMS recipe out-of-stream as well?

@maintainers
If NI upgraded our DKMS recipe to a more recent version than 2.4.0 and
submitted it again to OE-Core, would you accept it? If not, we will move
it to our own meta layer and accept that we are unique in this regard.

[1]
https://github.com/ni/openembedded-core/commit/5789a27b68d95f3840bb8c4cb0d7b28d538c9a50

[2] https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/message/100680

Alex Stewart
Software Engineer - NI Real-Time OS
NI (National Instruments)

alex.stewart@ni.com

* Re: [OE-core] The state of DKMS in the Yocto community
@ 2021-12-11 14:16 ` Leon Woestenberg
From: Leon Woestenberg @ 2021-12-11 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Alex,

with DKMS, do you mean cross-compiling out-of-kernel modules on the
build machine (that runs the Yocto/OpenEmbedded driven build)?

Or do you mean provisioning the target with enough tools to allow
compiling out-of-kernel modules there from source?

In the first case, yes, I can share such recipe for reasonably recent releases.

Regards,

Leon.

--
Leon Woestenberg
leon@sidebranch.com

Sidebranch Embedded Systems
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
http://www.sidebranch.com

@ 2021-12-11 15:24 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2021-12-11 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Stewart; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 3:58 PM Alex Stewart <alex.stewart@ni.com> wrote:

> Hey List,
>
> I'm trying to work out the mysterious state of DKMS in OE-Core.
>
> Our (NI) OE distributions rely heavily on DKMS to (un)install our
> ecosystem of kernel drivers at runtime across our product lines. To
> facilitate that, we authored a dkms_2.4.0.bb recipe [1] back in 2017,
> which we have carried out-of-stream since.
>
> We tried to upstream it, and the patched rev'ed a couple of times [2];
> but it seems to have never made it into a yocto release.
>
> Though some other recipes mention DKMS passingly, I don't see anywhere
> that OE-Core officially supports it. Nor does my googling reveal anyone
> else who uses DKMS. I find that a little hard to believe, though I
> understand that it's probably relatively rare in the embedded space.
>

> @all
> So does anyone else on the list use DKMS in their yocto distribution?
> Are you maintaining a DKMS recipe out-of-stream as well?
>

> @maintainers
> If NI upgraded our DKMS recipe to a more recent version than 2.4.0 and
> submitted it again to OE-Core, would you accept it? If not, we will move
> it to our own meta layer and accept that we are unique in this regard.

I used to have a DKMS recipe myself (at my previous employer), but
never submitted it, because generally speaking, there are better ways
to do things in OE.

DKMS tends to avoid proper cross compilation (which of course we
already do), or is often used to distribute proprietary code (which we
don't want to encourage), or is avoiding the need to upstream the
module code (which we also don't want to encourage).  It also only
tends to be used on a subset of the architectures that have enough
memory/cpu to build on target, so by definition it is a bit more
niche.

We of course already have the ability to build modules on the target
(we have a test case in core that does just that), so what is in core
can support what DKMS needs to build on target.

I don't see this as something that makes sense in oe-core (but maybe
I'm not fully understanding the case, and where the current support is
failing), but could of course be contributed to another layer.

Cheers,

Bruce

> [1]
> https://github.com/ni/openembedded-core/commit/5789a27b68d95f3840bb8c4cb0d7b28d538c9a50
>
> [2] https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/message/100680
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Alex Stewart
> Software Engineer - NI Real-Time OS
> NI (National Instruments)
>
> alex.stewart@ni.com

- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end
- "Use the force Harry" - Gandalf, Star Trek II

* Re: [OE-core] The state of DKMS in the Yocto community
@ 2021-12-13 12:28   ` Alex Stewart
From: Alex Stewart @ 2021-12-13 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield, raj.khem; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 12/11/21 09:24, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 3:58 PM Alex Stewart <alex.stewart@ni.com> wrote:
>> Hey List,
>>
>> I'm trying to work out the mysterious state of DKMS in OE-Core.
>>
>> Our (NI) OE distributions rely heavily on DKMS to (un)install our
>> ecosystem of kernel drivers at runtime across our product lines. To
>> facilitate that, we authored a dkms_2.4.0.bb recipe [1] back in 2017,
>> which we have carried out-of-stream since.
>>
>> We tried to upstream it, and the patched rev'ed a couple of times [2];
>> but it seems to have never made it into a yocto release.
>>
>> Though some other recipes mention DKMS passingly, I don't see anywhere
>> that OE-Core officially supports it. Nor does my googling reveal anyone
>> else who uses DKMS. I find that a little hard to believe, though I
>> understand that it's probably relatively rare in the embedded space.
>>

>> @all
>> So does anyone else on the list use DKMS in their yocto distribution?
>> Are you maintaining a DKMS recipe out-of-stream as well?
>>

>> @maintainers
>> If NI upgraded our DKMS recipe to a more recent version than 2.4.0 and
>> submitted it again to OE-Core, would you accept it? If not, we will move
>> it to our own meta layer and accept that we are unique in this regard.
> I used to have a DKMS recipe myself (at my previous employer), but
> never submitted it, because generally speaking, there are better ways
> to do things in OE.
>
> DKMS tends to avoid proper cross compilation (which of course we
> already do), or is often used to distribute proprietary code (which we
> don't want to encourage), or is avoiding the need to upstream the
> module code (which we also don't want to encourage).  It also only
> tends to be used on a subset of the architectures that have enough
> memory/cpu to build on target, so by definition it is a bit more
> niche.

Yeah; I agree. In our case, we have several dozen drivers split across
many product teams and largely distributing internally-controlled
source. At this stage, it isn't feasible for us to build them all within
OE - which is unfortunate.

Many of those drivers are also required to support both our OE
distribution, as well as a small matrix of supported generic Linux
desktop OSes. So having them manage their own DKMS packages reduces the
surface area for packaging errors.

I don't expect that either of those considerations is common in the OE
community.

> We of course already have the ability to build modules on the target
> (we have a test case in core that does just that), so what is in core
> can support what DKMS needs to build on target.

I'm not sure which test case you're referencing, do you have a link or
could you expand on what you mean?

> I don't see this as something that makes sense in oe-core (but maybe
> I'm not fully understanding the case, and where the current support is
> failing), but could of course be contributed to another layer.

That's fair. Our use case is motivated more by an organizational failure
than a failure of the OE tooling.

@Khem
You're maintaining the meta-oe layer; correct? Do you have any interest
in a DKMS recipe?

@ 2021-12-13 13:54     ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2021-12-13 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Stewart; +Cc: Khem Raj, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 7:28 AM Alex Stewart <alex.stewart@ni.com> wrote:

> On 12/11/21 09:24, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 3:58 PM Alex Stewart <alex.stewart@ni.com> wrote:
> >> Hey List,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to work out the mysterious state of DKMS in OE-Core.
> >>
> >> Our (NI) OE distributions rely heavily on DKMS to (un)install our
> >> ecosystem of kernel drivers at runtime across our product lines. To
> >> facilitate that, we authored a dkms_2.4.0.bb recipe [1] back in 2017,
> >> which we have carried out-of-stream since.
> >>
> >> We tried to upstream it, and the patched rev'ed a couple of times [2];
> >> but it seems to have never made it into a yocto release.
> >>
> >> Though some other recipes mention DKMS passingly, I don't see anywhere
> >> that OE-Core officially supports it. Nor does my googling reveal anyone
> >> else who uses DKMS. I find that a little hard to believe, though I
> >> understand that it's probably relatively rare in the embedded space.
> >>

> >> @all
> >> So does anyone else on the list use DKMS in their yocto distribution?
> >> Are you maintaining a DKMS recipe out-of-stream as well?
> >>

> >> @maintainers
> >> If NI upgraded our DKMS recipe to a more recent version than 2.4.0 and
> >> submitted it again to OE-Core, would you accept it? If not, we will move
> >> it to our own meta layer and accept that we are unique in this regard.
> > I used to have a DKMS recipe myself (at my previous employer), but
> > never submitted it, because generally speaking, there are better ways
> > to do things in OE.
> >
> > DKMS tends to avoid proper cross compilation (which of course we
> > already do), or is often used to distribute proprietary code (which we
> > don't want to encourage), or is avoiding the need to upstream the
> > module code (which we also don't want to encourage).  It also only
> > tends to be used on a subset of the architectures that have enough
> > memory/cpu to build on target, so by definition it is a bit more
> > niche.
>
> Yeah; I agree. In our case, we have several dozen drivers split across
> many product teams and largely distributing internally-controlled
> source. At this stage, it isn't feasible for us to build them all within
> OE - which is unfortunate.
>
> Many of those drivers are also required to support both our OE
> distribution, as well as a small matrix of supported generic Linux
> desktop OSes. So having them manage their own DKMS packages reduces the
> surface area for packaging errors.
>
> I don't expect that either of those considerations is common in the OE
> community.
>
> > We of course already have the ability to build modules on the target
> > (we have a test case in core that does just that), so what is in core
> > can support what DKMS needs to build on target.
>
> I'm not sure which test case you're referencing, do you have a link or
> could you expand on what you mean?

I was just referring to the kernel-devsrc package, and that it supports
both eSDK and on-target compilation of kernel modules. We have a
hello-mod that is part of the oe-tests (it is copied to the target, built
and insmod'd).

So we know that the actual build will work on the target and that all
the dependencies are in place. We just don't have any wrapping
framework around the build.

Cheers,

Bruce

@ 2021-12-13 14:06 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2021-12-13 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Stewart, openembedded-core

On Fri, 2021-12-10 at 14:58 -0600, Alex Stewart wrote:
> Hey List,
>
> I'm trying to work out the mysterious state of DKMS in OE-Core.
>
> Our (NI) OE distributions rely heavily on DKMS to (un)install our
> ecosystem of kernel drivers at runtime across our product lines. To
> facilitate that, we authored a dkms_2.4.0.bb recipe [1] back in 2017,
> which we have carried out-of-stream since.
>
> We tried to upstream it, and the patched rev'ed a couple of times [2];
> but it seems to have never made it into a yocto release.
>
> Though some other recipes mention DKMS passingly, I don't see anywhere
> that OE-Core officially supports it. Nor does my googling reveal anyone
> else who uses DKMS. I find that a little hard to believe, though I
> understand that it's probably relatively rare in the embedded space.
>

> @all
> So does anyone else on the list use DKMS in their yocto distribution?
> Are you maintaining a DKMS recipe out-of-stream as well?
>

> @maintainers
> If NI upgraded our DKMS recipe to a more recent version than 2.4.0 and
> submitted it again to OE-Core, would you accept it? If not, we will move
> it to our own meta layer and accept that we are unique in this regard.
>

> [1]
> https://github.com/ni/openembedded-core/commit/5789a27b68d95f3840bb8c4cb0d7b28d538c9a50
>
> [2] https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/message/100680

Speaking for OE-Core, I don't think DKMS belongs there. I must admit I'd
forgotten what it was at first but then the memories came back.

I realise why it exists but it doesn't really model best practises or encourages
the behaviour we ideally want to see so I don't think it is a good fit for core.

Whether it might be accepted or makes sense elsewhere isn't for me to say.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [OE-core] The state of DKMS in the Yocto community
@ 2021-12-14  5:28     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-12-14  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Stewart
  Cc: Bruce Ashfield, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 4:28 AM Alex Stewart <alex.stewart@ni.com> wrote:

> [...]
> surface area for packaging errors.
>
> I don't expect that either of those considerations is common in the OE
> community.
>
> > We of course already have the ability to build modules on the target
> > (we have a test case in core that does just that), so what is in core
> > can support what DKMS needs to build on target.
>
> I'm not sure which test case you're referencing, do you have a link or
> could you expand on what you mean?
>
> > I don't see this as something that makes sense in oe-core (but maybe
> > I'm not fully understanding the case, and where the current support is
> > failing), but could of course be contributed to another layer.
>
> That's fair. Our use case is motivated more by an organizational failure
> than a failure of the OE tooling.
>

> @Khem
> You're maintaining the meta-oe layer; correct? Do you have any interest

I cant say how much maintenance work it is upfront. I have been bitten with some
hairy recipes e.g. kernel-selftest which need active maintenance for
which I might not
have time to do myself. However, looking at what Bruce explains, it
seems the value
add it not as much either, so I am less inclined to have it unless
there are others in
community who will find it useful and service it timely manner and
test it, keep it working
with all test combinations etc

@ 2021-12-14 16:12       ` Alex Stewart
From: Alex Stewart @ 2021-12-14 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield, Khem Raj, Richard Purdie
  Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Converging threads.

Thanks all for the feedback. It sounds like there's no appetite for a
DKMS recipe, and I agree with the rationale for rejection.

I'll motion to have NI's DKMS recipe migrated to our meta-nilrt layer
and independently maintained until such a time as we can deprecate it.