* [RFC] ath10k: interface combination with monitor
@ 2019-11-01 17:03 ` Tom Psyborg
From: Tom Psyborg @ 2019-11-01 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k; +Cc: linux-wireless

Hi

Is there a way to run monitor mode interface independent on STA/AP
interface presence or their state?
I am using airodump-ng/airmon-ng and I've noticed that while mon
interface is brought up airodump-ng is unable to find any beacons
unless sta interface is brought down. That is with QCA9880 devices,
while with QCA9377 airodump-ng only finds beacons if the sta interface
is associated to an AP.
Does this need firmware change to work or driver changes are sufficient?

From: Tom Psyborg @ 2019-11-01 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k; +Cc: linux-wireless

Hi

Is there a way to run monitor mode interface independent on STA/AP
interface presence or their state?
I am using airodump-ng/airmon-ng and I've noticed that while mon
interface is brought up airodump-ng is unable to find any beacons
unless sta interface is brought down. That is with QCA9880 devices,
while with QCA9377 airodump-ng only finds beacons if the sta interface
is associated to an AP.
Does this need firmware change to work or driver changes are sufficient?

* Re: [RFC] ath10k: interface combination with monitor
@ 2019-11-01 17:09   ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2019-11-01 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Psyborg, ath10k; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 11/1/19 10:03 AM, Tom Psyborg wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there a way to run monitor mode interface independent on STA/AP
> interface presence or their state?
> I am using airodump-ng/airmon-ng and I've noticed that while mon
> interface is brought up airodump-ng is unable to find any beacons
> unless sta interface is brought down. That is with QCA9880 devices,
> while with QCA9377 airodump-ng only finds beacons if the sta interface
> is associated to an AP.
> Does this need firmware change to work or driver changes are sufficient?

I would expect it to work.  Have you tried -ct firmware on 9880 in this
manner?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

From: Ben Greear @ 2019-11-01 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Psyborg, ath10k; +Cc: linux-wireless

@ 2019-11-01 18:29     ` Tom Psyborg
From: Tom Psyborg @ 2019-11-01 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Greear; +Cc: ath10k, linux-wireless

Tried this fw: https://www.candelatech.com/downloads/firmware-2-ct-full-community-21.bin
Used ath10k driver as there is no ct driver for 5.4 yet.

Same as with QCA firmware

From: Tom Psyborg @ 2019-11-01 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Greear; +Cc: linux-wireless, ath10k