* [Xenomai-help] thread in thread
@ 2007-02-24 18:27 roland Tollenaar
From: roland Tollenaar @ 2007-02-24 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi,

I have a xenomai task running in a Qt application. Its doing its tricks at 1 ms.

I just need brief confirmation of the following:

I have made my own separate thread (QThread) and then started a real
time task within that. I strongly get the feeling that a real-time
task is a thread of its own (I am not so knowledgeable of threads in
plain C ) and I have now ended up starting a thread in a thread?

Is this suspicion correct?

I also still need to discover how to stop a xenomai task from my
application. At the moment I have to kill the entire process with $
kill -9 PID . Any hints would be welcome.

Thanks.

Roland

* Re: [Xenomai-help] thread in thread
@ 2007-02-24 18:42 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2007-02-24 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: roland Tollenaar; +Cc: xenomai

roland Tollenaar wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I have a xenomai task running in a Qt application. Its doing its tricks at 1 ms.
 >
 > I just need brief confirmation of the following:
 >
 > I have made my own separate thread (QThread) and then started a real
 > time task within that. I strongly get the feeling that a real-time
 > task is a thread of its own (I am not so knowledgeable of threads in
 > plain C ) and I have now ended up starting a thread in a thread?
 >
 > Is this suspicion correct?

No, with Xenomai, a thread is real-time when it uses real-time services
and non real-time when it uses non real-time services. This is well
explained in the document "Native API tour". Furthermore, you can turn
a Linux thread into a Xenomai thread by running rt_task_shadow if you
have chosen the native API, or pthread_setschedparm if you have chosen
the POSIX API.

 > I also still need to discover how to stop a xenomai task from my
 > application. At the moment I have to kill the entire process with $
 > kill -9 PID . Any hints would be welcome.

You can terminate a Xenomai thread either by running ordinary Linux
pthread_cancel, or by running rt_task_delete if you prefer the native
API.

--

					    Gilles Chanteperdrix.

* Re: [Xenomai-help] thread in thread