* connecting omap and comp using usb cable
@ 2007-03-27 15:46 Wael Adel
       [not found] ` <31e679430703270851q3f1e1f6o57a88339accd8fa9@mail.gmail.com>
From: Wael Adel @ 2007-03-27 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap-open-source

hi all,
i want to communicate with the OMAP kit through the usb cable.

so i made the following small program as a first step  to open the
device as follows: (Note that i have made by taking copy of flash
recovery program omapf1)
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <usb.h>

#define OMAP_VENDOR     0x0451
#define OMAP_PRODUCT    0x3f00
#define IN_EP   0x81
#define OUT_EP  0x02

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
  usb_init();
  usb_find_busses();

       fprintf (stderr, "Waiting to OMAP-USB connection\n");
        for (;;)
        {
                sleep (1);

                int     n= usb_find_devices ();
                if (n)
                {
                        struct usb_bus  *bus;
                        for (bus= usb_get_busses (); bus; bus= bus->next)
                        {
                                struct usb_device       *dev;

                                for (dev= bus->devices; dev; dev= dev->next)
                                {
                                        usb_dev_handle  *handle;
                                        if (dev->descriptor.idVendor
== OMAP_VENDOR  &&

dev->descriptor.idProduct == OMAP_PRODUCT  &&
                                                (handle= usb_open
(dev)) != NULL)
                                        {
                                                printf("Device is
opened successfully\n");
                                        }
                                }
                        }
                }
        }
  return 0;
}

but u guess what?
when i run this small program,i got the following output:

Waiting to OMAP-USB connection

note that i checked that the usb cable is connected well between my
comp and the kit.
Also i checked that jumper 3 is set to pins (1,2)
do u have any ideas why the device is not found?
thanks in advance.

* Re: connecting omap and comp using usb cable
       [not found]   ` <bd205c5f0703270858y79c08e9dg65dfe1a04f4087fc@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-03-27 16:10     ` Wael Adel
From: Wael Adel @ 2007-03-27 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Balbi; +Cc: linux-omap-open-source

@ 2007-03-27 16:17       ` Felipe Balbi
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2007-03-27 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wael Adel; +Cc: linux-omap-open-source

Hello Wael,

On 3/27/07, Wael Adel <showairovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/27/07, Wael Adel <showairovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> > i m using A-A usb cable to connect my comp to the OMAP kit.OK
> > so that the OMAP kit would b the device (slave) of the usb bus while
> > the host of the bus would b my computer ?

Yes, that's right. But I think you don't need to write another
application if you can use
what's already there.

Try to build your device's kernel with support to USB Gadget. And
enable CONFIG_USB_ETH. This'll build a module called g_ether. This
module will let your USB Device work as a Ethernet card. This way you
will be able to ssh into the device and work on that.

I don't know if this will help ya... I don't know what's your objectives.

If you could tell us a bit more...

> > is there any problem in that?

No problem at all.. this is the correct way to do it.

@ 2007-03-27 16:33         ` Wael Adel
From: Wael Adel @ 2007-03-27 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Balbi; +Cc: linux-omap-open-source

On 3/27/07, Felipe Balbi <felipebalbi@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Hello Wael,
>
> On 3/27/07, Wael Adel <showairovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/27/07, Wael Adel <showairovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > i m using A-A usb cable to connect my comp to the OMAP kit.OK
> > > so that the OMAP kit would b the device (slave) of the usb bus while
> > > the host of the bus would b my computer ?
>
> Yes, that's right. But I think you don't need to write another
> application if you can use
> what's already there.
>
> Try to build your device's kernel with support to USB Gadget. And
> enable CONFIG_USB_ETH. This'll build a module called g_ether. This
> module will let your USB Device work as a Ethernet card. This way you
> will be able to ssh into the device and work on that.

but my problem is not at the device side, it is at the host side.
note that i tried  to run the code i have sent at the host side, this
was written in the flash recovery program.

As for the device side i load the gadgetfs module not ethernet module
but i may try what u have said to me, but still dont know how can the
host read data from the device(OMAP kit)

> I don't know if this will help ya... I don't know what's your objectives.
>
> If you could tell us a bit more...

All what i want is just to make OMAP kit  be able to send/receive data
from my comp and
also i want to make my comp be able to receive/send data from/to my
device (OMAP)