* [Buildroot] STM32F767ZI Nucleo
@ 2018-09-20  7:35 Czybor Michael
From: Czybor Michael @ 2018-09-20  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

i'am new with Buildroot. I have some experiences with Petalinux from Xilinx. Now I will "create" a linux image for my STM32-Board.

I have a Windows 7 PC and a VMWare-Ubuntu-Machine.

1.)    Is there a Buildroot-Config for my Board?

2.)    I made an example image with a STM32F4-Config, in the Output directory where several files. What is the meaning of that files?

3.)    What is the right tool to "Flash" the output files to my board?

4.)    How can I debug and develop an app on the running linux image made with Buildroot and can I use VisualGDB for that purpose?

Thank you!

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] STM32F767ZI Nucleo
@ 2018-09-20  8:03 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2018-09-20  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 07:35:09 +0000, Czybor Michael wrote:

> i'am new with Buildroot. I have some experiences with Petalinux from Xilinx. Now I will "create" a linux image for my STM32-Board.
>
> I have a Windows 7 PC and a VMWare-Ubuntu-Machine.
>
> 1.)    Is there a Buildroot-Config for my Board?

No, and from a quick read the STM32F767ZI Nucleo doesn't seem to have
external RAM, so only the RAM inside the MCU is available, and its size
is insufficient to run Linux. Are you sure it is possible to run Linux
on this specific board ?

We have existing configurations for two other STM32 boards, which have
external RAM, and are therefore able to run Linux:

  configs/stm32f429_disco_defconfig
  configs/stm32f469_disco_defconfig

> 2.)    I made an example image with a STM32F4-Config, in the Output directory where several files. What is the meaning of that files?

Please read the Buildroot manual and the slides at
https://bootlin.com/doc/training/buildroot/buildroot-slides.pdf.
There's plenty of documentation available that explains what's in the
output/ folder.

> 3.)    What is the right tool to "Flash" the output files to my board?

It depends on your board.

> 4.)    How can I debug and develop an app on the running linux image made with Buildroot and can I use VisualGDB for that purpose?

If you can indeed run Linux (see point 1), then you can do
remote debugging, as explained in
https://bootlin.com/doc/training/buildroot/buildroot-slides.pdf slide
275 and following.

I had never heard of VisualGDB, but I guess it's just an UI on top of
GDB, so you should be able to do remote debugging as well.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] STM32F767ZI Nucleo
@ 2018-09-20  9:04   ` Czybor Michael
From: Czybor Michael @ 2018-09-20  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Thomas,

thank you for your quick reply.

1.) What is the minimum RAM-Size to run linux?

2.) Output files:

I read that document, before I wrote my question. I found a rootfs.cpio folder and I gues it is the rootfs.

But what is a *.bin file?
Why I have five *.bin file versions?
And what is a xipImage-file?
Finally, what is a *.dtb file?

The documentation tells about one bootloader and one kernel file and a rootfs, as far as I understand it...

Best Regards,
Michael

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

@ 2018-09-20  9:08     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2018-09-20  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 09:04:01 +0000, Czybor Michael wrote:

> thank you for your quick reply.
>
> 1.) What is the minimum RAM-Size to run linux?

It depends on how much tuning you're ready to make. Without doing a lot
of tuning, I would say 8 MB of RAM is really the minimum. And indeed
the STM32F4/STM32F7 platforms that can run Linux have 8 or 16 MB of
external RAM: https://elinux.org/STM32#STM32F4_based.

> 2.) Output files:
>
> I read that document, before I wrote my question. I found a rootfs.cpio folder and I gues it is the rootfs.
>
> But what is a *.bin file?

A file containing some binary stuff.

> Why I have five *.bin file versions?

I have no idea which .bin files you're talking about.

> And what is a xipImage-file?

A Linux kernel image.

> Finally, what is a *.dtb file?

A Device Tree file.

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2018-09-20  9:33       ` Czybor Michael
From: Czybor Michael @ 2018-09-20  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

you wrote: " I have no idea which .bin files you're talking about."

the "binary stuff" could be the bootloader, is this right?

I found four versions (not five :-)):

a.) stm32f429i-disco.bin
b.) stm32f469i-disco.bin
c.) stm32429i-eval.bin
d.) stm32746g-eval.bin

But I started the build process only with one configuration?

One more question about the device-tree-file. If I like to use UIO-Devices, than I must edit the device-tree.

1.) Can I use UIO-Device-Drivers?

2.) How do I input a different device tree?

Thank you for your help and I see what my next steps are!

Best Regards,
Michael

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----
On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 09:04:01 +0000, Czybor Michael wrote:

> thank you for your quick reply.
>
> 1.) What is the minimum RAM-Size to run linux?

It depends on how much tuning you're ready to make. Without doing a lot
of tuning, I would say 8 MB of RAM is really the minimum. And indeed
the STM32F4/STM32F7 platforms that can run Linux have 8 or 16 MB of
external RAM: https://elinux.org/STM32#STM32F4_based.

> 2.) Output files:
>
> I read that document, before I wrote my question. I found a rootfs.cpio folder and I gues it is the rootfs.
>
> But what is a *.bin file?

A file containing some binary stuff.

> Why I have five *.bin file versions?

I have no idea which .bin files you're talking about.

> And what is a xipImage-file?

A Linux kernel image.

> Finally, what is a *.dtb file?

A Device Tree file.

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2018-09-20 11:11         ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2018-09-20 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

Please don't top post.

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 09:33:48 +0000, Czybor Michael wrote:

> you wrote: " I have no idea which .bin files you're talking about."
>
> the "binary stuff" could be the bootloader, is this right?
>
> I found four versions (not five :-)):
>
> a.) stm32f429i-disco.bin
> b.) stm32f469i-disco.bin
> c.) stm32429i-eval.bin
> d.) stm32746g-eval.bin

These are built by the afboot-stm32 package, which indeed is the
bootloader for STM32 platforms. See
https://github.com/mcoquelin-stm32/afboot-stm32.

> But I started the build process only with one configuration?

afboot-stm32 builds a bootloader for all boards it supports, and we
install all of them.

> One more question about the device-tree-file. If I like to use UIO-Devices, than I must edit the device-tree.
>
> 1.) Can I use UIO-Device-Drivers?

Yes, why wouldn't you be able to use them ?

> 2.) How do I input a different device tree?

Either you patch the Device Tree in your kernel tree, or add a new one
in your kernel tree. Or you can use the option
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_DTS_PATH to point to an arbitrary Device Tree
file.

Best regards,

Thomas