* [Buildroot] any opinions on uClibc-ng test-suite?
@ 2016-10-17 18:41 Waldemar Brodkorb
From: Waldemar Brodkorb @ 2016-10-17 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

see here:
http://mailman.uclibc-ng.org/pipermail/devel/2016-October/001224.html

best regards
 Waldemar

* [Buildroot] any opinions on uClibc-ng test-suite?
@ 2016-10-17 21:08 ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2016-10-17 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 Hi Waldemar,

On 17-10-16 20:41, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> see here:
> http://mailman.uclibc-ng.org/pipermail/devel/2016-October/001224.html

 I'm replying here because I'm too lazy to subscribe to the uClibc-ng mailing
list...

 Normally I prefer that the test suite stays with the package. At least from the
buildroot point of view, we can solve the not-complete-toolchain issue by adding
a uClibc-test package that builds the uClibc tests after the toolchain has been
built. A bit similar to how linux-tools are separated from the linux kernel build.

 I would try, however, to reuse and expand libc-test if at all possible. If that
upstream agrees with it, it shouldn't be too hard to convert the make-based
runner to a shell-based runner. Hell, the target_template can almost be reused
as-is to generate runner shell fragments...

 Regards,
 Arnout

@ 2016-10-18  9:48   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2016-10-18  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 23:08:31 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

>  Normally I prefer that the test suite stays with the package.

Well, I agree in general. But for C library tests, it's a bit annoying
when they are bundled with the C library source code itself. Indeed,
this prevents from building those tests in an external toolchain
scenario.

So I actually find having tests separate from the C library tarball a
nicer way, as it allows to package them very easily, and use them even
with external toolchains.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] any opinions on uClibc-ng test-suite?
@ 2016-10-18  9:54     ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2016-10-18  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 18-10-16 11:48, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 23:08:31 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>
>>  Normally I prefer that the test suite stays with the package.
>
> Well, I agree in general. But for C library tests, it's a bit annoying
> when they are bundled with the C library source code itself. Indeed,
> this prevents from building those tests in an external toolchain
> scenario.
>
> So I actually find having tests separate from the C library tarball a
> nicer way, as it allows to package them very easily, and use them even
> with external toolchains.

 Ack that.

 Regards,
 Arnout