* is there a rationale for the numerous "^::$" lines:
@ 2020-10-29 19:58 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2020-10-29 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

  just noticed the myriad of .rst content of the form:

  ... blah blah woof woof:
  ::

     code snippet

if memory serves, that would be equivalent to the simpler:

  ... blah blah woof woof::

      code snippet

as a trailing "::", as long as it is not preceded by white space, has
the same effect. not suggesting massive refactoring, just wondering if
there is a subtle difference between the two.

rday

                         http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: [docs] is there a rationale for the numerous "^::$" lines:
@ 2020-10-29 20:45 ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2020-10-29 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 8:58 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

you are correct, they are equivalent. we've been rushing with these
changes, and it's lack of consistency

>   just noticed the myriad of .rst content of the form:
>
>   ... blah blah woof woof:
>   ::
>
>      code snippet
>
> if memory serves, that would be equivalent to the simpler:
>
>   ... blah blah woof woof::

I tend to prefer this form, and I tried to use this one for the files
I edited.. We should agree on which one to use, and fix
inconsistencies.

@ 2020-10-29 20:53   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2020-10-29 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 29 Oct 2020, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 8:58 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >

> you are correct, they are equivalent. we've been rushing with these
> changes, and it's lack of consistency
>
> >   just noticed the myriad of .rst content of the form:
> >
> >   ... blah blah woof woof:
> >   ::
> >
> >      code snippet
> >
> > if memory serves, that would be equivalent to the simpler:
> >
> >   ... blah blah woof woof::
>
> I tend to prefer this form, and I tried to use this one for the files
> I edited.. We should agree on which one to use, and fix
> inconsistencies.

  if no one objects, i can probably whip up a perl script this weekend
and transmogrify all of this to the shorter form for consistency.

rday

* Re: [docs] is there a rationale for the numerous "^::$" lines:
@ 2020-10-29 20:56     ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2020-10-29 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 9:53 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Oct 2020, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 8:58 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> > >

> > you are correct, they are equivalent. we've been rushing with these
> > changes, and it's lack of consistency
> >
> > >   just noticed the myriad of .rst content of the form:
> > >
> > >   ... blah blah woof woof:
> > >   ::
> > >
> > >      code snippet
> > >
> > > if memory serves, that would be equivalent to the simpler:
> > >
> > >   ... blah blah woof woof::
> >
> > I tend to prefer this form, and I tried to use this one for the files
> > I edited.. We should agree on which one to use, and fix
> > inconsistencies.
>
>   if no one objects, i can probably whip up a perl script this weekend
> and transmogrify all of this to the shorter form for consistency.

what if I object to doing that with perl ;)

@ 2020-10-29 21:02       ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2020-10-29 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 29 Oct 2020, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 9:53 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 29 Oct 2020, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 8:58 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> > > >

> > > you are correct, they are equivalent. we've been rushing with these
> > > changes, and it's lack of consistency

> > > I tend to prefer this form, and I tried to use this one for the files
> > > I edited.. We should agree on which one to use, and fix
> > > inconsistencies.
> >
> >   if no one objects, i can probably whip up a perl script this weekend
> > and transmogrify all of this to the shorter form for consistency.
>
> what if I object to doing that with perl ;)

COBOL it is then.

rday