* Git book figure bug
@ 2015-09-02  7:45 Jesper Jørgensen
From: Jesper Jørgensen @ 2015-09-02  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

I am learning how git works, and is using the excellent book on the official site.
I believe I have located a mistake in one of the images.
It is  about Figure 3.17 on this page : http://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Branching-Basic-Branching-and-Merging

As far as I understand it, the right most snapshot called C5 should have been named C6.
The texts describes a new snapshot being made from the merge of the 2 branches.
Having 2 snapshots both named C5 does not seem like it can be possible.

Best regards
JESPER JØRGENSEN, Prevas A/S
Software developer, Aarhus
Hedeager 1, DK-8200 Aarhus N
Phone +45 87438070
Mobile +45 40282198
jesper.jorgensen@prevas.dk
www.prevas.dk

* Re: Git book figure bug
@ 2015-09-02  8:36 ` Chris Packham
From: Chris Packham @ 2015-09-02  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Jørgensen; +Cc: git, Scott Chacon

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 7:45 PM, Jesper Jørgensen
<Jesper.Jorgensen@prevas.dk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am learning how git works, and is using the excellent book on the official site.
> I believe I have located a mistake in one of the images.
> It is  about Figure 3.17 on this page : http://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Branching-Basic-Branching-and-Merging
>
> As far as I understand it, the right most snapshot called C5 should have been named C6.
> The texts describes a new snapshot being made from the merge of the 2 branches.
> Having 2 snapshots both named C5 does not seem like it can be possible.

Indeed you are correct. Looks like this was fixed a while ago
https://github.com/progit/progit2/commit/3491527b33251fcacd8d2964bf7fb5e0f1cfe455
but hasn't made it into the "live" website.

* Re: Git book figure bug
@ 2015-09-02  8:39 ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2015-09-02  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Jørgensen; +Cc: git

Hi Jesper,

On 2015-09-02 09:45, Jesper Jørgensen wrote:

> I am learning how git works, and is using the excellent book on the
> official site.
> I believe I have located a mistake in one of the images.
> It is  about Figure 3.17 on this page :
> http://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Branching-Basic-Branching-and-Merging
>
> As far as I understand it, the right most snapshot called C5 should
> have been named C6.
> The texts describes a new snapshot being made from the merge of the 2 branches.
> Having 2 snapshots both named C5 does not seem like it can be possible.

Your hunch is correct, and it should be C6, that's why it was changed:

https://github.com/progit/progit2/blob/master/book/03-git-branching/images/basic-merging-2.png

I do not know why it is still displayed incorrectly on https://git-scm.com/, but your best bet would be to report this as a bug: https://github.com/git/git-scm.com/issues

But make sure first that there is not another ticket opened for the same bug!

Ciao,
Johannes