* Requesting feedback on GUI design - TPM Required policy and Virtual TPM
@ 2021-02-05 14:18 Priyanka Pillai
From: Priyanka Pillai @ 2021-02-05 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hello,

*We have decided to remove the TPM Required Policy from the Server Power
Operations Page and move it to the Security Panel page. *
Our findings:
* TPM Required policy is rarely required to be disabled during the power
operations.
* Only in cases of troubleshooting or if a physical TPM card is not part of
the system, is when this setting needs to be disabled.
* In all other cases, it is not advisable to disable it.
* It affects the security of the host boot process.

Similarly, we shall be *adding Virtual TPM to the security page* as well,
since it’s usage is the same and it affects security of the logical
partitions boot process.

Does anyone from the community have any concerns regarding this?

Warm regards,
*Priyanka Pillai*
User Experience Designer
IBM iX : Interactive Experience

* Re: Requesting feedback on GUI design - TPM Required policy and Virtual TPM
@ 2021-02-05 16:09 ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2021-02-05 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Priyanka Pillai, openbmc

On 2/5/21 8:18 AM, Priyanka Pillai wrote:
> Hello, We have decided to remove the TPM Required Policy from...
> This Message Is From an External Sender
> This message came from outside your organization.
>
> Hello,
>
> *We have decided to remove the TPM Required Policy from the Server
> Power Operations Page and move it to the Security Panel page. *
> Our findings:
> * TPM Required policy is rarely required to be disabled during the
> power operations.
> * Only in cases of troubleshooting or if a physical TPM card is not
> part of the system, is when this setting needs to be disabled.
> * In all other cases, it is not advisable to disable it.
> * It affects the security of the host boot process.
>
> Similarly, we shall be *adding Virtual TPM to the security page* as
> well, since it’s usage is the same and it affects security of the
> logical partitions boot process.

Note this refers to the host's TPM (and not a TPM that measures the BMC
such as the BMC Trusted Boot design being discussed here
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/26169).

These findings sound right to me (but I am not a TPM expert).

Joseph