* ceph-ci.git and pull requests
@ 2017-01-03 17:23 Casey Bodley
From: Casey Bodley @ 2017-01-03 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Sacred Order of the Squid Cybernetic

Hi,

I had pushed a branch to ceph/ceph-ci.git for testing, but was unable to
open a pull request for it against ceph/ceph.git. The github ui wouldn't
let me target branches in ceph-ci.git, presumably because it doesn't
recognize it as a fork if ceph.git.

Has anyone else been able to figure this out?

Thanks,
Casey

* Re: ceph-ci.git and pull requests
@ 2017-01-03 17:40 ` Samuel Just
From: Samuel Just @ 2017-01-03 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Casey Bodley; +Cc: The Sacred Order of the Squid Cybernetic

Hmm, I always push branches like that to my own github account
ceph.git as well and do the PR from there.
-Sam

@ 2017-01-03 19:00   ` Ken Dreyer
From: Ken Dreyer @ 2017-01-03 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Just; +Cc: Casey Bodley, The Sacred Order of the Squid Cybernetic

Right, I don't think GitHub allows an "upstream" repo and a "fork"
repo to exist within the same org (github.com/ceph). I do the same
thing Sam suggests.

- Ken

@ 2017-01-03 21:08     ` Nathan Cutler
From: Nathan Cutler @ 2017-01-03 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Dreyer, Samuel Just
  Cc: Casey Bodley, The Sacred Order of the Squid Cybernetic

Hi Casey:

Here's what I do, which I think is essentially the same as Sam and Ken
are doing:

git clone https://github.com/smithfarm/ceph
git remote add ceph-ci https://github.com/ceph/ceph
<prepare wip-foo branch>
git push origin wip-foo
<open PR>
git push ceph-ci wip-foo
<wait for http://shaman.ceph.com to build>
<test in Sepia>

HTH,
Nathan

* Re: ceph-ci.git and pull requests
@ 2017-01-03 21:25       ` Casey Bodley
From: Casey Bodley @ 2017-01-03 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Sacred Order of the Squid Cybernetic

Fair enough. In this case, I was going to push a backport to ceph-ci.git
so that packages would be available when the backport team was ready to
validate it. In other cases, it can be useful to target a PR against a
public branch so that other devs with access can add fixes and continue
testing.

Casey

@ 2017-01-03 21:55         ` Nathan Cutler
From: Nathan Cutler @ 2017-01-03 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Casey Bodley, The Sacred Order of the Squid Cybernetic

> Fair enough. In this case, I was going to push a backport to ceph-ci.git
> so that packages would be available when the backport team was ready to
> validate it.

That's probably not necessary. Typically, multiple backport PRs are
ganged up in an integration branch for testing purposes. For example,
the current hammer integration branch looks like this:
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/17151#note-37

The scripting used to prepare the integration branches is described
here:
http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph-releases/wiki/HOWTO_populate_the_integration_branch

Nathan