* [RFC] gtk+ and gdk-pixbuf
@ 2009-06-03 17:03 Florian Boor
From: Florian Boor @ 2009-06-03 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

looking at the recipes of GTK+ and gdk-pixbuf I get the impression these should
conflict with each other.
I would like to make the changes soon to avoid that more people run into
problems with this. I have seen several reports of issues that are likely to be
caused by a gtk vs. gdk-pixbuf build conflict.

Greetings

Florian

--
The dream of yesterday                  Florian Boor
is the hope of today                    Tel: +49 271-771091-15

* Re: [RFC] gtk+ and gdk-pixbuf
@ 2009-06-03 20:23 ` Phil Blundell
From: Phil Blundell @ 2009-06-03 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: openembedded-devel

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 19:03 +0200, Florian Boor wrote:
> looking at the recipes of GTK+ and gdk-pixbuf I get the impression these should
> conflict with each other.
> I would like to make the changes soon to avoid that more people run into
> problems with this. I have seen several reports of issues that are likely to be
> caused by a gtk vs. gdk-pixbuf build conflict.

Yeah, it does look like they would clobber each other.  Although
gdk-pixbuf used to be a separate library in gtk1 days, the gdk-pixbuf
recipe that we have in OE right now just builds the library that's
bundled with GTK+.  I guess the standalone gdk-pixbuf recipe was added
to eliminate the requirement for building X and the whole other
dependency stack that GTK requires if you just want the pixbuf
functions.

Adding PROVIDES = "gdk-pixbuf" to gtk would probably clear it up.  I
don't think bitbake really understands conflicts so that's probably as
good as it gets.

p.

* Re: [RFC] gtk+ and gdk-pixbuf
@ 2009-06-03 20:43   ` Leon Woestenberg
From: Leon Woestenberg @ 2009-06-03 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: openembedded-devel

Hello,

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Phil Blundell <pb@reciva.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 19:03 +0200, Florian Boor wrote:

> bundled with GTK+.  I guess the standalone gdk-pixbuf recipe was added
> to eliminate the requirement for building X and the whole other
> dependency stack that GTK requires if you just want the pixbuf
> functions.

Exactly.

The pixbuf stuff is still handy for framebuffer devices, but the
gdk-pixbuf recipe should not DEPEND on the complete X11 stuff.

Leon

* Re: [RFC] gtk+ and gdk-pixbuf
@ 2009-06-03 22:38   ` Florian Boor
From: Florian Boor @ 2009-06-03 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

Phil Blundell schrieb:
> Adding PROVIDES = "gdk-pixbuf" to gtk would probably clear it up.  I
> don't think bitbake really understands conflicts so that's probably as
> good as it gets.

yes indeed, that's a good idea. I'll do it in this way.

Greetings

Florian

--
The dream of yesterday                  Florian Boor
is the hope of today                    Tel: +49 271-771091-15
and the reality of tomorrow.            Fax: +49 271-771091-19
[Robert Hutchings Goddard, 1904]        florian.boor@kernelconcepts.de

1D78 2D4D 6C53 1CA4 5588  D07B A8E7 940C 25B7 9A76

* Re: [RFC] gtk+ and gdk-pixbuf
@ 2009-06-03 22:57     ` Andrea Adami
From: Andrea Adami @ 2009-06-03 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Please elaborate how to handle such cases (hildon-thumbnail):

http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/commit/?id=6e13bf0bd8e0c147aabe7324df3a29ee338e2056

Patch to be reverted ?

Thanks in advance

Andrea