* A suggestion: more readable human commands
@ 2021-06-15 10:51 it-developer
From: it-developer @ 2021-06-15 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi there,

I would like to suggest you a new improvement.

Why not adding a new layer of abstraction for commands or to make more
explicitly the commands?

For instance:

To merge a single file from one branch to another:

git checkout <branch_name> <path_to_file> --patch

would be like more readable human like this:

git merge <path_file> to <dst_branch>

It uses a more natural language.

Best regards.

* Re: A suggestion: more readable human commands
@ 2021-06-15 10:59 ` Bagas Sanjaya
From: Bagas Sanjaya @ 2021-06-15 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: it-developer, git

On 15/06/21 17.51, it-developer@abelardolg.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I would like to suggest you a new improvement.
>
> Why not adding a new layer of abstraction for commands or to make more
> explicitly the commands?
>
> For instance:
>
> To merge a single file from one branch to another:
>
> git checkout <branch_name> <path_to_file> --patch
>
> would be like more readable human like this:
>
> git merge <path_file> to <dst_branch>
>
> It uses a more natural language.
>
> Best regards.

What workflow you do so that you need to merge single file?

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara

* Re: A suggestion: more readable human commands
@ 2021-06-15 11:55 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2021-06-15 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: it-developer; +Cc: git

On Jun 15 2021, it-developer@abelardolg.com wrote:

> To merge a single file from one branch to another:
>
> git checkout <branch_name> <path_to_file> --patch
>
> would be like more readable human like this:
>
> git merge <path_file> to <dst_branch>

This is ambigous if a branch or tag named <path_file> or to exists, and
the usual disambiguation using -- will not work.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1