* wireless driver crashing frequently
@ 2017-02-15  9:54 ravin goyal
From: ravin goyal @ 2017-02-15  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hello, I have a banana pi m2+ running raspbian lite 3.4.112-sun8i
I am running hostapd on it

My wireless chip is AP6212 ,when I start hostapd sometime it runs
sometime it leads to kernel crash

please follow this link to see the kernel messages: https://clbin.com/PXBSB?hl

I have been told to ask my doubt here since it is the problem of the
driver in the kernel

To make hostapd work properly I have to manuallly run this command

modprobe -v bcmdhd op_mode=2

bcmdhd is my wireless driver

after this hostapd is able to broadcast the ssid, if i don't provide
the op_mode=2 while loading the module, hostapd will not broadcast the
ssid.

any help on this ?

Regards
Ravin

* Re: wireless driver crashing frequently
@ 2017-02-15 10:28 ` Arend Van Spriel
From: Arend Van Spriel @ 2017-02-15 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ravin goyal, linux-wireless

On 15-2-2017 10:54, ravin goyal wrote:
> Hello, I have a banana pi m2+ running raspbian lite 3.4.112-sun8i
> I am running hostapd on it
>
> My wireless chip is AP6212 ,when I start hostapd sometime it runs
> sometime it leads to kernel crash
>
> please follow this link to see the kernel messages: https://clbin.com/PXBSB?hl
>
> I have been told to ask my doubt here since it is the problem of the
> driver in the kernel
>
> To make hostapd work properly I have to manuallly run this command
>
> modprobe -v bcmdhd op_mode=2
>
> bcmdhd is my wireless driver
>
> after this hostapd is able to broadcast the ssid, if i don't provide
> the op_mode=2 while loading the module, hostapd will not broadcast the
> ssid.
>
> any help on this ?

You are asking the wrong crowd. bcmdhd is an android driver. In upstream
linux we have brcmfmac. Are you running android or upstream linux. At
least you are on a pretty old kernel so I suspect android.

Regards,
Arend

* Re: wireless driver crashing frequently
@ 2017-02-15 10:38   ` ravin goyal
From: ravin goyal @ 2017-02-15 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend Van Spriel; +Cc: linux-wireless

that is what I have found on my banana pi board running raspbian lite
3.4.112-sun8i.
removing bcmdhd results in removing my wlan0 interface from the
list(iwconfig/ifconfig/ip).

@ 2017-02-15 10:50     ` Arend Van Spriel
From: Arend Van Spriel @ 2017-02-15 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ravin goyal; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 15-2-2017 11:38, ravin goyal wrote:
> that is what I have found on my banana pi board running raspbian lite
> 3.4.112-sun8i.
> removing bcmdhd results in removing my wlan0 interface from the
> list(iwconfig/ifconfig/ip).

Ok. If it is raspbian that choose to include bcmdhd in their distro I
would suggest to file the bug there [1].

Regards,
Arend

[1] https://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs

* Re: wireless driver crashing frequently
@ 2017-02-15 10:55       ` ravin goyal
From: ravin goyal @ 2017-02-15 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend Van Spriel; +Cc: linux-wireless

okay thanks for the help.

regards
ravin

@ 2017-02-15 14:42         ` Arend Van Spriel
From: Arend Van Spriel @ 2017-02-15 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ravin goyal; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 15-2-2017 11:55, ravin goyal wrote:
> okay thanks for the help.

No intent to blow you off. I just do not support that driver nor anyone
else on this list.

Regards,
Arend