* Re: Surface Go 3 Driver Issues
       [not found] <CAAuYzEQjRhYpLpMhZP6CjoqZ01EPd2G6G2juFDO39=6F_PtMTw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-11-22  3:56 ` Alex Hung
From: Alex Hung @ 2021-11-22  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Hayes; +Cc: platform-driver-x86, luzmaximilian

On 2021-11-17 11:54 p.m., Drew Hayes wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> I'm reaching out to you about some potential driver issues on
> Microsoft's new Surface Go 3. The device was introduced by Microsoft a
> little over a month ago. We have found that the device's power and
> volume buttons do not work, even though they worked in previous versions
> of the hardware (Surface Go 1 and 2). We've replicated the issue on two
> different devices (Pentium + m3) with various kernel versions (4.15,
> 5.8, 5.14.18).
>
> Maximilian Luz (copied on this thread) describes what he's found here
> <https://github.com/linux-surface/linux-surface/issues/595#issuecomment-939537267>.
> Would you be able to read his findings and suggest what we should try
> next to get the buttons working?

BIOS needs to report 5 button array explicitly otherwise
button_array_present() will report false. When BIOS fails to report it
intel-hid also provides a DMI quirk to workaround it, ex.
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.14.11/source/drivers/platform/x86/intel-hid.c#L73
(or see commit 56678a5f44ef5f0)

I didn't find dmidecode log file in the bug report but you can run "sudo
dmidecode -t 1" to get system vendor and product name. If you can
provide DMI data I can write a patch for testing.

Please note intel-hid was changed to intel/hid.c in 5.15 so two patches
may need testing for 5.14 (your version) and for 5.16rc2.

--
Cheers,
Alex Hung

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-11-22  3:56 UTC | newest]