* Is it possible to send all batman-adv traffic through http proxy cache?
@ 2020-08-28 22:00 Chuck Ritola
From: Chuck Ritola @ 2020-08-28 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Is it possible to send all batman-adv ethernet traffic through an HTTP
proxy cache such as Squid?

This is for building a fairly large mesh network on amateur radio with
some links having limited bandwidth. To improve performance a proxy
cache would be installed inside each node, which stores to cache any
HTTP responses tagged as cacheable and sniffs for HTTP requests
through said switch for requests matching any cache entry. It then
blocks the request from being forwarded and responds to the request
itself with the cached data.

I'm having difficulty figuring out how to get batman-adv to pass all
of its raw ethernet traffic (presumably with mesh headers removed)
through outside software such as Squid before performing its
switching.

Another consideration was ALFRED but it doesn't appear to be easily
integratable with existing software.

* Re: Is it possible to send all batman-adv traffic through http proxy cache?
@ 2020-09-04 18:44 ` Linus Lüssing
From: Linus Lüssing @ 2020-09-04 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 06:00:59PM -0400, Chuck Ritola wrote:
> Is it possible to send all batman-adv ethernet traffic through an HTTP
> proxy cache such as Squid?

Not really, there are a bunch of headers too many for an HTTP
caching proxy to work with batman-adv.

I'm wondering, are HTTP caching proxies actually still useful these
days where all major sides have switched to HTTPS?

> Another consideration was ALFRED but it doesn't appear to be easily
> integratable with existing software.

Alfred is more useful for little bits of information, not really
for complete packet streams.

The "best" solution I could think of right now for limited uplink
bandwidths is hosting content within your mesh network instead.
Like setting up a Seafile or MediaGoblin, for instance.

Or using P2P technologies, like Bittorrent. Although you might
need to be careful with this particular one that it won't greedly
occupy the rest of the bandwidth your uplink has left, if content is
still mainly shared over the uplink and not within the mesh.

Regards, Linus

* Re: Is it possible to send all batman-adv traffic through http proxy cache?
@ 2020-09-04 19:03   ` A. James Lewis
From: A. James Lewis @ 2020-09-04 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

You could set up a transparent proxy, in the route to the batman
gateway,,, you've have to look at the exact details of how the
routing/NAT is set up, but I'd bet you could do some pretty clever stuff:-

https://tldp.org/HOWTO/TransparentProxy.html

James

--
*ค. ﻝค๓єร ɭєฬเร* (james@fsck.co.uk)
"Engineering does not require science. Science helps a lot but people

* Re: Is it possible to send all batman-adv traffic through http proxy cache?
@ 2020-09-08 15:47     ` Chuck Ritola
From: Chuck Ritola @ 2020-09-08 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

> I'm wondering, are HTTP caching proxies actually still useful these
days where all major sides have switched to HTTPS?
(Linus)
>You could set up a transparent proxy, in the route to the batman
gateway,,, you've have to look at the exact details of how the
routing/NAT is set up, but I'd bet you could do some pretty clever stuff:-
(James)

This would be mostly-mesh hosting with almost no uplink. We are
allowed to carefully gateway some internet content such as 44-block
IPs and maybe sites with 'safe' content such as NOAA. The choke point
is not the internet gateways like it would for a traditional 802.x
mesh but the speed of the hops themselves, as this involves VHF/UHF
with 20-1000 kilobit speeds to get 20-100mi hop lengths. Sometimes ghz
802.xx is used for last-mile, cities, etc. AREDN does a bit of this on
ghz but I wanted to go layer-2.

Amateur radio in the US is governed by FCC Part 97, which forbids
encrypted communications (the wording is 'intent to obscure its
meaning') so it pretty much has to be HTTP with no 'S'. A sidenote:
Authentication hashing is still ok. Sniffing traffic is encouraged.

The idea was to keep things simple by staying browser-based where
practical. Cacheable HTTP would be passively cached at every hop with
the storage for it. Even if part of the network got cratered there
would still be a 'ghost' of the content in the cache, and so long as
it was frequently accessed and had an unlimited age, said ghost could
propagate through the caches indefinitely.

I considered BitTorrent but it requires a tracking host, which means
centralization. Freenet looked interesting but by the time I remove
all of the encryption and obfuscation to make it legal for amateur
radio it ends up having similar functionality as per-hop cache proxy.