* new sparse release?
@ 2021-07-26 11:20 Jeff Layton
From: Jeff Layton @ 2021-07-26 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sparse; +Cc: Luc Van Oostenryck

It's been quite a while since we've had a new sparse release and there
are some fixes that I'd like to see in the fedora package. I could just
cut a release from a current git snapshot, but I don't want to do that
if there are any plans to do a release soon.

Any idea when the next sparse release will be?

Jeff Layton <jlayton@kernel.org>

* Re: new sparse release?
@ 2021-07-26 15:50 ` Luc Van Oostenryck
From: Luc Van Oostenryck @ 2021-07-26 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Layton; +Cc: linux-sparse, Luc Van Oostenryck

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 07:20:28AM -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:
> It's been quite a while since we've had a new sparse release and there
> are some fixes that I'd like to see in the fedora package. I could just
> cut a release from a current git snapshot, but I don't want to do that
> if there are any plans to do a release soon.
>
> Any idea when the next sparse release will be?

I've been quite a bit side-tracked lately and as such I had nothing
really planned. But yes, it's been a while with enough changes already.
I've a few minor fixes I would like to add and a bigger series (but
one 'm not really happy with). I'll see what I can do n the next days
but the idea would be to do a -rc next WE and the full release a few
days later (so around Aug 5) if nothing serious come up.

Would this be OK for you?

-- Luc

* Re: new sparse release?
@ 2021-07-27 12:48   ` Jeff Layton
From: Jeff Layton @ 2021-07-27 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luc Van Oostenryck; +Cc: linux-sparse, Luc Van Oostenryck

On Mon, 2021-07-26 at 17:50 +0200, Luc Van Oostenryck wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 07:20:28AM -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > It's been quite a while since we've had a new sparse release and there
> > are some fixes that I'd like to see in the fedora package. I could just
> > cut a release from a current git snapshot, but I don't want to do that
> > if there are any plans to do a release soon.
> >
> > Any idea when the next sparse release will be?
>
> I've been quite a bit side-tracked lately and as such I had nothing
> really planned. But yes, it's been a while with enough changes already.
> I've a few minor fixes I would like to add and a bigger series (but
> one 'm not really happy with). I'll see what I can do n the next days
> but the idea would be to do a -rc next WE and the full release a few
> days later (so around Aug 5) if nothing serious come up.
>
> Would this be OK for you?

Yeah, sounds fine. No huge rush for any of this, to be clear, but it
would be nice to have an updated release in the near future.

Thanks!
--

@ 2021-08-31 12:51     ` Jeff Layton
From: Jeff Layton @ 2021-08-31 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luc Van Oostenryck; +Cc: linux-sparse, Luc Van Oostenryck

On Tue, 2021-07-27 at 08:48 -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Mon, 2021-07-26 at 17:50 +0200, Luc Van Oostenryck wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 07:20:28AM -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > > It's been quite a while since we've had a new sparse release and there
> > > are some fixes that I'd like to see in the fedora package. I could just
> > > cut a release from a current git snapshot, but I don't want to do that
> > > if there are any plans to do a release soon.
> > >
> > > Any idea when the next sparse release will be?
> >
> > I've been quite a bit side-tracked lately and as such I had nothing
> > really planned. But yes, it's been a while with enough changes already.
> > I've a few minor fixes I would like to add and a bigger series (but
> > one 'm not really happy with). I'll see what I can do n the next days
> > but the idea would be to do a -rc next WE and the full release a few
> > days later (so around Aug 5) if nothing serious come up.
> >
> > Would this be OK for you?
> >

> Yeah, sounds fine. No huge rush for any of this, to be clear, but it
> would be nice to have an updated release in the near future.
>
> Thanks!

Hi Luc,

Just checking back in. Were you still planning to do an -rc for 0.6.4?

@ 2021-08-31 12:58       ` Luc Van Oostenryck
From: Luc Van Oostenryck @ 2021-08-31 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Layton; +Cc: linux-sparse, Luc Van Oostenryck

> Hi Luc,
>
> Just checking back in. Were you still planning to do an -rc for 0.6.4?
>
> Thanks,

Hi,

Sorry, I've had a few unplanned things to handle here.
I'll do a -rc1 this evening, when I'm back home and,
if everything is fine, as I hope it will, the release somewhere
between Friday & Saturday.

-- Luc

* Re: new sparse release?
@ 2009-09-25 17:12 ` Christopher Li
From: Christopher Li @ 2009-09-25 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Layton; +Cc: linux-sparse, Josh Triplett

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 5:31 AM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@poochiereds.net> wrote:
> The sparse package in Fedora is based on the latest release of sparse
> (0.4.1). That seems to be really old (from 2007) and is lacking
> important patches (like the one to ignore the __cold__ attribute).
>
> Would it be possible to cut a newer release sometime in the near future
> so that distros can pick up a new official version?

Sure, I mean to do that. Currently the sparse wiki is up. I have been
syncing bits from chrisl branch from time to time.

I just need to:
- Get a PGP key.
- Sign the new release tag.
- Run magic git command to generate stat of changes.
- Add change log.
- make dist.
- Upload the tar package.
- Announce the release to mailing list.

I will cut 0.4.2.0-rc1 one over the week end.

Thanks

Chris

* new sparse release?
@ 2009-09-25 12:31 Jeff Layton