* [U-Boot] powerpc 4xx support
@ 2017-11-14 18:21 Ivan Mikhaylov1
From: Ivan Mikhaylov1 @ 2017-11-14 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

hi everyone, I saw that powerpc 4xx cpus were removed from powerpc cpu tree with this commit
98f705c9cefdfdba62c069821bbba10273a0a8ed
powerpc: remove 4xx support

I can help to maintain this tree with further support and needs. As I understood reason of this
removal was change to Kconfig. Anything else should be done? In this case what process should be?
1. get cpu 4xx before removal
2. do the migration to kconfig
3. send patches via uboot mail list
something like this?

* [U-Boot] powerpc 4xx support
@ 2017-11-15  3:42 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2017-11-15  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 06:21:17PM +0000, Ivan Mikhaylov1 wrote:

> hi everyone, I saw that powerpc 4xx cpus were removed from powerpc cpu tree with this commit
> 98f705c9cefdfdba62c069821bbba10273a0a8ed
> powerpc: remove 4xx support
>
> I can help to maintain this tree with further support and needs. As I understood reason of this
> removal was change to Kconfig. Anything else should be done? In this case what process should be?
> 1. get cpu 4xx before removal
> 2. do the migration to kconfig
> 3. send patches via uboot mail list
> something like this?

So, we need active testing and maintenance.  To bring 4xx support back,
introduce patches that bring in core support and migrate the code to
using Kconfig only.  There must be no new entries to
scripts/config_whitelist.txt

--
Tom
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 06:21:17PM +0000, Ivan Mikhaylov1 wrote:
>
>> hi everyone, I saw that powerpc 4xx cpus were removed from powerpc
>> cpu tree with this commit
>> 98f705c9cefdfdba62c069821bbba10273a0a8ed
>> powerpc: remove 4xx support
>>
>> I can help to maintain this tree with further support and needs.

I would very much welcome to see ppc4xx actively maintained in
U-Boot again. :)

>> As I understood reason of this
>> removal was change to Kconfig. Anything else should be done? In
>> this case what process should be?
>> 1. get cpu 4xx before removal
>> 2. do the migration to kconfig
>> 3. send patches via uboot mail list
>> something like this?
>
> So, we need active testing and maintenance.  To bring 4xx support back,
> introduce patches that bring in core support and migrate the code to
> using Kconfig only.  There must be no new entries to
> scripts/config_whitelist.txt

Additionally to this, some (all?) device drivers would need to be
converted to DM (driver model).

Thanks,
Stefan

* [U-Boot] powerpc 4xx support
@ 2017-11-15  7:58 ` Cédric Le Goater
From: Cédric Le Goater @ 2017-11-15  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 11/14/2017 07:21 PM, Ivan Mikhaylov1 wrote:
> hi everyone, I saw that powerpc 4xx cpus were removed from powerpc cpu tree with this commit
> 98f705c9cefdfdba62c069821bbba10273a0a8ed
> powerpc: remove 4xx support

That was quite a cleanup !

> I can help to maintain this tree with further support and needs. As I understood reason of this
> removal was change to Kconfig. Anything else should be done? In this case what process should be?
> 1. get cpu 4xx before removal

I don't think you would want to re-add support for all
the cpus or all the boards. Just pick the ones you will
maintain for IBM needs.

Some recently added cpu/boards can serve as an example
to organize your patchset.

> 2. do the migration to kconfig

yes and also probably refresh some of the important drivers,
clk, sdram, reset, watchdog, etc.

You might want to add a device tree.

> 3. send patches via uboot mail list

yes definitively.

> something like this ?
Does QEMU support such cpu/machines ? It would be good
to contribute some models if it is not too much work.

Thanks,

C.