* [Ksummit-discuss] Results: Linux Foundation Technical Board Election 2018
@ 2018-11-14  2:26 ` H. Peter Anvin
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2018-11-14  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech-board-discuss; +Cc: Kernel Summit Discussions

The TAB elections are now complete. Thank you to all the candidates for
putting their names forward, and a big thank you to everyone who helped handle
the election logistics.

With 95 ballots cast, the top 5 candidates received:

  Chris Mason		67 votes
  Laura Abbott		62 votes
  Olof Johansson	53 votes
  Dan Williams		47 votes
  Kees Cook		45 votes

The next highest voted candidate received 41 votes.

Full results are available on request.

Thanks again to everyone who participated, and congratulations and thank you
for stepping up to the elected candidates.

	-hpa

* [Tech-board-discuss] Results: Linux Foundation Technical Board Election 2018
@ 2018-11-14  2:26 ` H. Peter Anvin
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2018-11-14  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech-board-discuss; +Cc: Kernel Summit Discussions

The TAB elections are now complete. Thank you to all the candidates for
putting their names forward, and a big thank you to everyone who helped handle
the election logistics.

With 95 ballots cast, the top 5 candidates received:

  Chris Mason		67 votes
  Laura Abbott		62 votes
  Olof Johansson	53 votes
  Dan Williams		47 votes
  Kees Cook		45 votes

The next highest voted candidate received 41 votes.

Full results are available on request.

Thanks again to everyone who participated, and congratulations and thank you
for stepping up to the elected candidates.

	-hpa

* Re: [Tech-board-discuss] [Ksummit-discuss] Results: Linux Foundation Technical Board Election 2018
  (?)
@ 2018-11-14  2:47 ` laurent.pinchart
From: laurent.pinchart @ 2018-11-14  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hpa; +Cc: tech-board-discuss

Hi Peter,

On Tuesday, 13 November 2018, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> The TAB elections are now complete. Thank you to all the candidates for
> putting their names forward, and a big thank you to everyone who helped handle
> the election logistics.
>
> With 95 ballots cast, the top 5 candidates received:
>
>   Chris Mason		67 votes
>   Laura Abbott		62 votes
>   Olof Johansson	53 votes
>   Dan Williams		47 votes
>   Kees Cook		45 votes
>
> The next highest voted candidate received 41 votes.
>
> Full results are available on request.

Out of personal (and I think probably expected) interest, could I get the full results? Thanks.

> Thanks again to everyone who participated, and congratulations and thank you
> for stepping up to the elected candidates.

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [Tech-board-discuss] Results: Linux Foundation Technical Board Election 2018
@ 2018-11-14  3:51   ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2018-11-14  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Peter Anvin; +Cc: Tech Board Discuss, Kernel Summit Discussions

I just wanted to thank everyone for a pretty well reasoned, democratic
and *open* election process.

I'm still burned from what happened with ICANN...

I hope that the TAB continues in its useful role in representing the
linux community and that 2019 will be a better year. My christmas
wish:

No spectres.

* Re: [Tech-board-discuss] Results: Linux Foundation Technical Board Election 2018
@ 2018-11-14  3:51   ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2018-11-14  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Peter Anvin; +Cc: Tech Board Discuss, Kernel Summit Discussions

@ 2018-11-14 10:32     ` Jani Nikula
From: Jani Nikula @ 2018-11-14 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht, H. Peter Anvin; +Cc: Tech Board Discuss, Kernel Summit Discussions

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018, Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just wanted to thank everyone for a pretty well reasoned, democratic
> and *open* election process.

To play the devil's advocate, the TAB election process is democratic and
open to anyone travelling to the conference and handing out a few
hundred dollars to the Linux Foundation. It's only some approximation of
democratic and open, and we should not be complacent about that.

That said, I do applaud all candidates for running, and extend my
congrats to the elected ones.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center

From: Jani Nikula @ 2018-11-14 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht, H. Peter Anvin; +Cc: Tech Board Discuss, Kernel Summit Discussions

@ 2018-11-14 17:27       ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2018-11-14 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Nikula; +Cc: Tech Board Discuss, Kernel Summit Discussions, Dave Taht

On 14 Nov 2018, at 2:32, Jani Nikula wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018, Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just wanted to thank everyone for a pretty well reasoned,
>> democratic
>> and *open* election process.
>
> To play the devil's advocate, the TAB election process is democratic
> and
> open to anyone travelling to the conference and handing out a few
> hundred dollars to the Linux Foundation. It's only some approximation
> of
> democratic and open, and we should not be complacent about that.

I do understand your larger point, but it's important to remember the
Linux Foundation maintains a travel fund to help bring community members
to the conferences.

-chris

From: Chris Mason @ 2018-11-14 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Nikula; +Cc: Tech Board Discuss, Kernel Summit Discussions

@ 2018-11-14 17:39         ` Roland Dreier
From: Roland Dreier @ 2018-11-14 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: clm; +Cc: tech-board-discuss, ksummit-discuss, dave.taht

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 9:28 AM Chris Mason <clm@fb.com> wrote:
> On 14 Nov 2018, at 2:32, Jani Nikula wrote:
> > To play the devil's advocate, the TAB election process is democratic
> > and
> > open to anyone travelling to the conference and handing out a few
> > hundred dollars to the Linux Foundation. It's only some approximation
> > of
> > democratic and open, and we should not be complacent about that.
>
> I do understand your larger point, but it's important to remember the
> Linux Foundation maintains a travel fund to help bring community members
> to the conferences.

That is of course a positive thing but requiring travel to a
conference to vote still imposes a substantial barrier.  There are
many reasons that someone may not be able to or simply not want to
undertake a multi-day trip to cast a vote, beyond financial barriers.

One might argue that requiring travel limits voting to those with
sufficient "skin in the game", but the burden of travel does not fall
evenly - for example the journey to Edinburgh is much easier for a
Scot than someone from New Zealand.  I don't think anyone would argue
that we prefer to have more Scots and fewer Kiwis voting on the TAB.

 - R.

From: Roland Dreier @ 2018-11-14 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: clm; +Cc: jani.nikula, tech-board-discuss, ksummit-discuss

@ 2018-11-26 17:56   ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2018-11-26 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hpa; +Cc: tech-board-discuss

Hello,

On Wednesday, 14 November 2018 04:47:01 EET Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 November 2018, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > The TAB elections are now complete. Thank you to all the candidates for
> > putting their names forward, and a big thank you to everyone who helped
> > handle the election logistics.
> >
> > With 95 ballots cast, the top 5 candidates received:
> >
> >   Chris Mason		67 votes
> >   Laura Abbott		62 votes
> >   Olof Johansson	53 votes
> >   Dan Williams		47 votes
> >   Kees Cook		45 votes
> >

> > The next highest voted candidate received 41 votes.
> >
> > Full results are available on request.
>
> Out of personal (and I think probably expected) interest, could I get the
> full results? Thanks.

Ping ?

@ 2018-11-26 20:57     ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2018-11-26 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart; +Cc: tech-board-discuss

On 26 Nov 2018, at 12:56, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Wednesday, 14 November 2018 04:47:01 EET Laurent Pinchart wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 13 November 2018, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>> The TAB elections are now complete. Thank you to all the candidates
>>> for
>>> putting their names forward, and a big thank you to everyone who
>>> helped
>>> handle the election logistics.
>>>
>>> With 95 ballots cast, the top 5 candidates received:
>>>
>>>   Chris Mason		67 votes
>>>   Laura Abbott		62 votes
>>>   Olof Johansson	53 votes
>>>   Dan Williams		47 votes
>>>   Kees Cook		45 votes
>>>

>>> The next highest voted candidate received 41 votes.
>>>
>>> Full results are available on request.
>>
>> Out of personal (and I think probably expected) interest, could I get
>> the
>> full results? Thanks.
>
> Ping ?

Just replied privately, this got lost in the travel/thanksgiving backlog
sorry.

-chris

* Re: [Tech-board-discuss] [Ksummit-discuss] Results: Linux Foundation Technical Board Election 2018
@ 2018-11-26 22:21       ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2018-11-26 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Mason; +Cc: tech-board-discuss

Hi Chris,

On Monday, 26 November 2018 22:57:41 EET Chris Mason wrote:
> On 26 Nov 2018, at 12:56, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> >> Out of personal (and I think probably expected) interest, could I get
> >> the full results? Thanks.
> >
> > Ping ?
>
> Just replied privately, this got lost in the travel/thanksgiving backlog
> sorry.

No worries. Thank you for the answer.

Laurent Pinchart