* How to get an fb device with Sumo on i.MX6?
@ 2019-11-24 20:54 Clay Montgomery
       [not found] ` <CAP9ODKpzFN3YDqv4FrCNYsxh=UzVueu3Az5AsFZyVMOiYDOM+w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Clay Montgomery @ 2019-11-24 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Hello,

    I am trying to migrate a project from Yocto Pyro (3.14 kernel) to
Sumo and a newer kernel on the i.MX6 Wandboard Quad.

I am following the instructions in the i.MX_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide,
to build. To summarize, I am using:

     repo init  -u
https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-manifest  -b
imx-linux-sumo  -m  imx-4.14.98-2.0.0_ga.xml
     DISTRO=fsl-imx-fb  MACHINE=wandboard  source fsl-setup-release.sh
-b  build-fb
     bitbake  fsl-image-machine-test

The problem is that the built linux image has no fb device and this
causes many other problems, such as with V4L2, OpenGL ES and even NXP's
unit tests, such as:

     ./mxc_vpu_test -D "-f0 -x0 -i akiyo.mp4"

         [ERR]   unable to open fb0

Even 'fbset' fails, with:
     open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory

As best as I can tell, fb support should be enabled. Here is the
relevant portion of my defconfig:

CONFIG_DRM=y
CONFIG_DRM_VIVANTE=y
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_MXS=y
CONFIG_FB_MXC_SYNC_PANEL=y
CONFIG_FB_MXC_MIPI_DSI=y
CONFIG_FB_MXC_MIPI_DSI_SAMSUNG=y
CONFIG_FB_MXC_TRULY_WVGA_SYNC_PANEL=y
CONFIG_FB_MXC_TRULY_PANEL_TFT3P5079E=y
CONFIG_FB_MXC_TRULY_PANEL_TFT3P5581E=y
CONFIG_FB_MXC_LDB=y
CONFIG_FB_MXC_HDMI=y
CONFIG_FB_MXS_SII902X=y
CONFIG_FB_MXC_DCIC=m
CONFIG_HANNSTAR_CABC=y
CONFIG_FB_MXC_EINK_PANEL=y
CONFIG_FB_MXC_EINK_V2_PANEL=y
CONFIG_LCD_CLASS_DEVICE=y
CONFIG_LCD_L4F00242T03=y
CONFIG_LCD_PLATFORM=y
CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_PWM=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DETECT_PRIMARY=y
CONFIG_MXC_IPU=y
CONFIG_MXC_IPU_V3_PRE=y
CONFIG_MXC_SIM=y
CONFIG_MXC_MIPI_CSI2=y
CONFIG_MXC_HDMI_CEC=y
CONFIG_MXC_GPU_VIV=y

I have found that the fb device will work if I select the
'CONFIG_DRM_ETNAVIV' option, instead of 'CONFIG_DRM_VIVANTE', but I need
the Vivante option to get their newer drivers.

   Can someone please advise how I can resolve this issue?

Thank You, Clay Montgomery

* Re: [meta-freescale] How to get an fb device with Sumo on i.MX6?
       [not found] ` <CAP9ODKpzFN3YDqv4FrCNYsxh=UzVueu3Az5AsFZyVMOiYDOM+w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-11-25 16:15   ` Clay Montgomery
From: Clay Montgomery @ 2019-11-25 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hi Otavio,

   But, my project requires the GPU, VPU and IPU accelerators and the
new Vivante 6.2.4.p4.0 package which has more complete OpenGL ES drivers
than the ETNAVIV.

Is it possible to use the Vivante 6.2.4.p4.0 package with Zeus?

Regards, Clay

@ 2019-11-25 16:21     ` Prabhu
From: Prabhu @ 2019-11-25 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clay Montgomery; +Cc: Otavio Salvador, meta-freescale

since this is prebuild package sometimes incompatibility comes due to libc.
Give a try if works with the libc version in  Zeus then good to go.

@ 2019-11-25 22:30       ` Clay Montgomery
From: Clay Montgomery @ 2019-11-25 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prabhu, meta-freescale

Prabhu,

    Do you mean glibc or libgcc? The versions of these change with every
release of Yocto, so I don't think a pre-built package for Sumo can work
with any other Yocto release.  The package in question (Vivante
6.2.4.p4.0) builds with Sumo, which is fine.

The issue is that the fb device is gone. Much of the system is broken
with no fb device. I do not see how anyone could use it, except,
perhaps, with wayland.

Thanks, Clay

On 11/25/2019 10:21 AM, Prabhu wrote:
> since this is prebuild package sometimes incompatibility comes due to
> libc. Give a try if works with the libc version in  Zeus then good to go.
>
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 10:15 AM Clay Montgomery <clay@montgomery1.com
> <mailto:clay@montgomery1.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Otavio,
>
>        But, my project requires the GPU, VPU and IPU accelerators and the
>     new Vivante 6.2.4.p4.0 package which has more complete OpenGL ES
>     drivers
>     than the ETNAVIV.
>
>     Is it possible to use the Vivante 6.2.4.p4.0 package with Zeus?
>
>     Regards, Clay
>

>     On 11/25/2019 5:36 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>     > Hello Clay,
>     >
>     > On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 5:54 PM Clay Montgomery
>     <clay@montgomery1.com <mailto:clay@montgomery1.com>> wrote:
>     >>      I am trying to migrate a project from Yocto Pyro (3.14
>     kernel) to
>     >> Sumo and a newer kernel on the i.MX6 Wandboard Quad.
>     > Wandboard work with Linux mainline so I'd use this for new projects,
>     > based on Zeus.
>     >
>     >
>     >

* Re: How to get an fb device with Sumo on i.MX6?
       [not found] ` <CAP9ODKpzFN3YDqv4FrCNYsxh=UzVueu3Az5AsFZyVMOiYDOM+w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-12-03  1:31 ` Clay Montgomery
From: Clay Montgomery @ 2019-12-03  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

I will share what I found about the broken fb device issue on the i.MX6.

I got a reply from a developer within NXP that indicates there is a
known bug with their fb device support with the 4.14.98 kernel. It seems
that the last kernel where the fb works is probably 4.9.51, which they
recommend.

I suspect this may be the same issue which caused NXP to decide to drop
all support for fb (and X11) on the i.MX8. However, this issue affects
the i.MX6 also and I see no indication that it will ever be fixed, since
NXP's plan seems to be to support Wayland only, at least on the i.MX8.

This seems strange to me because it freezes development on the i.MX6 at
the 4.9.51 kernel, unless Wayland is used. Even a lot of NXP's own unit
tests for the GPU, VPU, IPU and V4L2 will not run without fb, even
though their release notes for their Yocto support claim they tested on
a lot of boards. It seems that testing merely means booting and not
actually running unit tests.

If I have this wrong or anyone can shed more light on this situation,
please do.

Thanks, Clay Montgomery

@ 2019-12-03  8:57   ` Andrey Zhizhikin
From: Andrey Zhizhikin @ 2019-12-03  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clay Montgomery; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hello Clay,

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:31 AM Clay Montgomery <clay@montgomery1.com> wrote:

> I will share what I found about the broken fb device issue on the i.MX6.
>
> I got a reply from a developer within NXP that indicates there is a
> known bug with their fb device support with the 4.14.98 kernel. It seems
> that the last kernel where the fb works is probably 4.9.51, which they
> recommend.

Do you have any additional information here to share about the kernel
issue? I was looking into updating the 4.9.y branch of linux-freescale
and could look into this as well. Perhaps there are commits from NXP
that I can isolate to have this resolved...

> [...]
> > CONFIG_FB_MXC_DCIC=m
> > CONFIG_HANNSTAR_CABC=y
> > CONFIG_FB_MXC_EINK_PANEL=y
> > CONFIG_FB_MXC_EINK_V2_PANEL=y
> > CONFIG_LCD_CLASS_DEVICE=y
> > CONFIG_LCD_L4F00242T03=y
> > CONFIG_LCD_PLATFORM=y
> > CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_PWM=y
> > CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
> > CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DETECT_PRIMARY=y
> > CONFIG_MXC_IPU=y
> > CONFIG_MXC_IPU_V3_PRE=y
> > CONFIG_MXC_SIM=y
> > CONFIG_MXC_MIPI_CSI2=y
> > CONFIG_MXC_HDMI_CEC=y
> > CONFIG_MXC_GPU_VIV=y
> >
> > I have found that the fb device will work if I select the
> > 'CONFIG_DRM_ETNAVIV' option, instead of 'CONFIG_DRM_VIVANTE', but I
> > need the Vivante option to get their newer drivers.
> >
> >   Can someone please advise how I can resolve this issue?
> >
> >   Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Andrey.

* Re: [meta-freescale] How to get an fb device with Sumo on i.MX6?
@ 2019-12-03 21:00     ` Clay Montgomery
From: Clay Montgomery @ 2019-12-03 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Zhizhikin; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hi Andrey,

    I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide.

I just tested two more kernel versions, 4.9.67 and 4.8.17 and found that
the fb device is broken on these also.
This means this issue is older than I thought. As best as I can tell,
NXP has not released a BSP that actually works for DISTRO='fsl-imx-fb'
on the i.MX6 for almost 3 years. The last release that I know works was
Pyro, but that is using the 5.0.11.p8 version of the Vivante package,
which was released in May, 2017.

This issue may be complicated by incorrect settings of the kernel config
options. I have listed what I am using below, which worked with Pyro.

Thanks, Clay

@ 2019-12-04 21:33       ` mfuzzey
From: mfuzzey @ 2019-12-04 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clay Montgomery; +Cc: Andrey Zhizhikin, meta-freescale

I would strongly advise using any NXP code.
Use latest mainline kernel DRM drivers and etnaviv if you need GPU.

The NXP framebuffer has been a dead end for years as it doesn't integrate
into the DRM subsystem.

Note if you need a classic framebuffer interface to userspace for some
reason (/dev/fb) you still get that with fbdev emulation on top of DRM.

@ 2019-12-10 22:32         ` Clay Montgomery
From: Clay Montgomery @ 2019-12-10 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Fuzzey, meta-freescale

Martin, Otavio, Andrey,

I did some more testing and found the situation is actually worse than I
thought. Even the X11 and Wayland support is completely non-functional,
in addition to fb, on the i.MX6. The linux kernel version makes no
difference. I have tried 4.8 to 4.14. It's obvious that NXP is not even
testing on the i.MX6 anymore, despite what their documentation and
release notes claim.

  This means the Vivante 6.2.4 package is COMPLETELY USELESS on the
i.MX6. If there is anyone who has actually gotten this to work in any
mode, please reply.

  I will look at Etnaviv again, but I doubt it provides the OpenGL ES
extensions required to accelerate video, or OpenCL, or the VDK with
emulator, performance tuning tools, etc.

If NXP never provides another release that is functional on i.MX6, then
mainline and Etnaviv is the only way to use kernels past 4.1.15.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards, Clay

@ 2019-12-11 15:10           ` Andy Pont
From: Andy Pont @ 2019-12-11 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clay Montgomery; +Cc: meta-freescale

Clay wrote...

>I did some more testing and found the situation is actually worse than
>I thought. Even the X11 and Wayland support is completely
>non-functional, in addition to fb, on the i.MX6. The linux kernel
>version makes no difference. I have tried 4.8 to 4.14. It's obvious
>that NXP is not even testing on the i.MX6 anymore, despite what their
>documentation and release notes claim.
>  This means the Vivante 6.2.4 package is COMPLETELY USELESS on the
>i.MX6. If there is anyone who has actually gotten this to work in any
>mode, please reply.
I’m not using Sumo for my current i.MX6 project having moved onto Zeus.

My image currently builds with kernel 4.14.98 and is using the Vivante
6.2.4 package to give OpenGL acceleration (to a commercial application)
which is accessed using /dev/fb0 and the Frambuffer interface described
in the i.MX6 Graphics User Guide.

The only thing that I don’t currently have running is the kernel splash
screen.

-Andy.

* Re: [meta-freescale] How to get an fb device with Sumo on i.MX6?
@ 2019-12-11 17:46             ` Clay Montgomery
From: Clay Montgomery @ 2019-12-11 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Pont; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hi Andy,

   NXP does not use Zeus yet, so I think you are using a mainline kernel
(from kernel.org)?

It is encouraging that you got the Vivante 6.2.4 package running on the
i.MX6 with fb.

Did you do anything special to get this to work, or could it be that it
works just because you have moved to the mainline kernel?

Can you please share your defconfig file?

@ 2019-12-11 19:25               ` Andrey Zhizhikin
From: Andrey Zhizhikin @ 2019-12-11 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clay Montgomery; +Cc: Andy Pont, meta-freescale

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 6:46 PM Clay Montgomery <clay@montgomery1.com> wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
>   NXP does not use Zeus yet, so I think you are using a mainline kernel (from kernel.org)?

There is a support for Zeus available in meta-freescale layer, and it
is actually operable. There are also 2 distros available in
meta-freescale-distro layer: NXP (Freescale) and Community. Community
is targeting mainline kernels and does not use Vivante package, while
NXP distro has Vivante installed. There are also 2 kernel flavors
provided in meta-freescale layer: linux-fslc (as close as possible to
mainline) and linux-imx (NXP one).

I've actually tried to upmerge both (v4.9.x), but linux-imx has a
tremendous amount of patches which are not mainlined and some
cherry-picks from 3.x! kernels, which made it so difficult for me to
advance the patchlevel. linux-fslc is on the contrary stands really
close to mainline and could easily be updated to the latest
patchlevel.

They way one control which kernel is to be built (if I'm not mistaken)
is described in the patchset [1]. Basically, one would need to define
an additional MACHINEOVERRIDES and the magic is done under the hood.

Distros differs by "c" letter next to fsl prefix, for example:
fsl-wayland being Wayland NXP and fslc-wayland being Wayland
Community.

[1]: https://www.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/meta-freescale/2017-March/020290.html

> It is encouraging that you got the Vivante 6.2.4 package running on the i.MX6 with fb.
>
> Did you do anything special to get this to work, or could it be that it works just because you have moved to the mainline kernel?
>
> Can you please share your defconfig file?
>
> Thank you for your assistance.
>
> Regards, Clay
>

> On 12/11/2019 9:10 AM, Andy Pont wrote:
>
> Clay wrote...
>

> I did some more testing and found the situation is actually worse than I thought. Even the X11 and Wayland support is completely non-functional, in addition to fb, on the i.MX6. The linux kernel version makes no difference. I have tried 4.8 to 4.14. It's obvious that NXP is not even testing on the i.MX6 anymore, despite what their documentation and release notes claim.
>  This means the Vivante 6.2.4 package is COMPLETELY USELESS on the i.MX6. If there is anyone who has actually gotten this to work in any mode, please reply.
>
> I’m not using Sumo for my current i.MX6 project having moved onto Zeus.
>
> My image currently builds with kernel 4.14.98 and is using the Vivante 6.2.4 package to give OpenGL acceleration (to a commercial application) which is accessed using /dev/fb0 and the Frambuffer interface described in the i.MX6 Graphics User Guide.
>
> The only thing that I don’t currently have running is the kernel splash screen.
>
> -Andy.

Andrey.