* FILESYSTEMS(5) SMB and VFAT feedback
@ 2017-11-05 12:19 Jonny Grant
       [not found] ` <c94369a9-102f-1c4f-19b4-2b7bc029a321-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org>
From: Jonny Grant @ 2017-11-05 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Kerrisk; +Cc: linux-man

Hello Michael

Two pieces of feedback about this page:

1) I expect this sunsite should be a link to
https://www.samba.org/samba/smbfs/  ?

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/filesystems.5.html

smb       is a network filesystem that supports the SMB protocol,
                  used by Windows for Workgroups, Windows NT, and Lan Man‐
                  ager.

                  To use smb fs, you need a special mount program, which can
                  be found in the ksmbfs package, found at

⟨ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Filesystems/smbfs⟩.

BTW, could "smbmount" to kernel man pages?

2)   vfat      is an extended DOS filesystem used by Microsoft Windows95
                  and Windows NT.  vfat adds the capability to use long
file‐
                  names under the MSDOS filesystem.

I'd be inclined to call it an "extended FAT filesystem", can that be
changed? No one refers to it as DOS for around 22 years. Everyone calls
it FAT.

ie

"is an extended FAT filesystem supported since Microsoft Windows95 and
Windows NT 3.5.  vfat adds the capability to use long file‐names under
the FAT filesystem."

Cheers
Jonny

* Re: FILESYSTEMS(5) SMB and VFAT feedback
       [not found] ` <c94369a9-102f-1c4f-19b4-2b7bc029a321-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-05 19:31   ` walter harms
From: walter harms @ 2017-11-05 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-man

Am 05.11.2017 13:19, schrieb Jonny Grant:
> Hello Michael
>
> Two pieces of feedback about this page:
>
> 1) I expect this sunsite should be a link to
> https://www.samba.org/samba/smbfs/  ?
>

> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/filesystems.5.html
>

> smb       is a network filesystem that supports the SMB protocol,
>                  used by Windows for Workgroups, Windows NT, and Lan Man‐
>                  ager.
>
>                  To use smb fs, you need a special mount program, which can
>                  be found in the ksmbfs package, found at
>
> ⟨ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Filesystems/smbfs⟩.
>

> BTW, could "smbmount" to kernel man pages?
>

> 2)   vfat      is an extended DOS filesystem used by Microsoft Windows95
>                  and Windows NT.  vfat adds the capability to use long
> file‐
>                  names under the MSDOS filesystem.
>

> I'd be inclined to call it an "extended FAT filesystem", can that be
> changed? No one refers to it as DOS for around 22 years. Everyone calls
> it FAT.

I thing that is more correct, it is an "extended FAT filesystem". But a
lot of people still call is DOS filesystem.

re,
 wh

@ 2017-11-06 22:24   ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2017-11-06 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonny Grant; +Cc: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, linux-man

On 11/05/2017 01:19 PM, Jonny Grant wrote:
> Hello Michael
>
> Two pieces of feedback about this page:

Hello Johnny,

I've pushed some changes in response to this.
Please see Git.

Cheers,

Michael

--