* debian rootfs for ramdisk and NFS
@ 2018-06-04 20:33 Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2018-06-04 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci; +Cc: matthew.hart

Hi Ana,

In testing the debian rootfs images for NFS, Matt Hart and I both
noticed that the full.rootfs.tar.xz images don't work for NFS because
the systemd network init causes a (re)init of networking while actively
using an NFSroot.  This causes things to grind to a halt.

So the first question is whether anyone knows if systemd can be made
pursuaded to not try to reconfigure networking.

Ideally, we'd like a single rootfs image to be either a ramdisk, where
it might need to (re)configure networking and an NFSroot where it
definitely should not reconfigure networking.

It would be a shame to have to have different images for ramdisk vs. NFS
just for network init.

Ideas?

Kevin

* Re: [kernelci] debian rootfs for ramdisk and NFS
@ 2018-06-06  8:11 ` Tomeu Vizoso
From: Tomeu Vizoso @ 2018-06-06  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci; +Cc: matthew.hart

On 06/04/2018 10:33 PM, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> Hi Ana,
>
> In testing the debian rootfs images for NFS, Matt Hart and I both
> noticed that the full.rootfs.tar.xz images don't work for NFS because
> the systemd network init causes a (re)init of networking while actively
> using an NFSroot.  This causes things to grind to a halt.
>
> So the first question is whether anyone knows if systemd can be made
> pursuaded to not try to reconfigure networking.
>
> Ideally, we'd like a single rootfs image to be either a ramdisk, where
> it might need to (re)configure networking and an NFSroot where it
> definitely should not reconfigure networking.
>
> It would be a shame to have to have different images for ramdisk vs. NFS
> just for network init.
>
> Ideas?

Just as a data point, the debos scripts should be very close to what I
was using when I tried NFS for running test suites. So I think it should
be doable, but I don't know why it's happening.

Regards,

Tomeu

* Re: [kernelci] debian rootfs for ramdisk and NFS
@ 2018-06-06  8:14   ` matthew.hart
From: matthew.hart @ 2018-06-06  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomeu Vizoso; +Cc: kernelci

On 6 June 2018 at 09:11, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu.vizoso@collabora.com> wrote:
> On 06/04/2018 10:33 PM, Kevin Hilman wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ana,
>>
>> In testing the debian rootfs images for NFS, Matt Hart and I both
>> noticed that the full.rootfs.tar.xz images don't work for NFS because
>> the systemd network init causes a (re)init of networking while actively
>> using an NFSroot.  This causes things to grind to a halt.
>>
>> So the first question is whether anyone knows if systemd can be made
>> pursuaded to not try to reconfigure networking.
>>
>> Ideally, we'd like a single rootfs image to be either a ramdisk, where
>> it might need to (re)configure networking and an NFSroot where it
>> definitely should not reconfigure networking.
>>
>> It would be a shame to have to have different images for ramdisk vs. NFS
>> just for network init.
>>
>> Ideas?
>

> Just as a data point, the debos scripts should be very close to what I was
> using when I tried NFS for running test suites. So I think it should be
> doable, but I don't know why it's happening.

Looks like this overlay is forcing a DHCP on all interfaces that begin with 'e'
https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-build/blob/master/jenkins/debian/debos/overlays/networkd/etc/systemd/network/wired.network

@ 2018-06-06 19:18     ` Ana Guerrero Lopez
From: Ana Guerrero Lopez @ 2018-06-06 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci

On 06/06/18 10:14, Matt Hart wrote:
> On 6 June 2018 at 09:11, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu.vizoso@collabora.com> wrote:
>> On 06/04/2018 10:33 PM, Kevin Hilman wrote:
>>> Hi Ana,
>>>
>>> In testing the debian rootfs images for NFS, Matt Hart and I both
>>> noticed that the full.rootfs.tar.xz images don't work for NFS because
>>> the systemd network init causes a (re)init of networking while actively
>>> using an NFSroot.  This causes things to grind to a halt.
>>>
>>> So the first question is whether anyone knows if systemd can be made
>>> pursuaded to not try to reconfigure networking.
>>>
>>> Ideally, we'd like a single rootfs image to be either a ramdisk, where
>>> it might need to (re)configure networking and an NFSroot where it
>>> definitely should not reconfigure networking.
>>>
>>> It would be a shame to have to have different images for ramdisk vs. NFS
>>> just for network init.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>
>> Just as a data point, the debos scripts should be very close to what I was
>> using when I tried NFS for running test suites. So I think it should be
>> doable, but I don't know why it's happening.
> Looks like this overlay is forcing a DHCP on all interfaces that begin with 'e'
> https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-build/blob/master/jenkins/debian/debos/overlays/networkd/etc/systemd/network/wired.network

I just committed: https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-build-staging/pull/34
I'm building the Debian rootfs builder job with this right now in
staging, could you
please test with the resulting images and tell if it works?

Ana

* Re: [kernelci] debian rootfs for ramdisk and NFS
@ 2018-06-06 21:00       ` Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2018-06-06 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ana Guerrero Lopez; +Cc: kernelci

"Ana Guerrero Lopez" <ana.guerrero@collabora.com> writes:

> On 06/06/18 10:14, Matt Hart wrote:

>>> Just as a data point, the debos scripts should be very close to what I was
>>> using when I tried NFS for running test suites. So I think it should be
>>> doable, but I don't know why it's happening.
>> Looks like this overlay is forcing a DHCP on all interfaces that begin with 'e'
>> https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-build/blob/master/jenkins/debian/debos/overlays/networkd/etc/systemd/network/wired.network
>>

> I just committed: https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-build-staging/pull/34
> I'm building the Debian rootfs builder job with this right now in
> staging, could you
> please test with the resulting images and tell if it works?

It works!

I tested the armel images (on both armel and arm64 boards) using
initrd.gpio.gz ramdisk with a pivot to the full.rootfs via NFS, and it
worked without a network reconfigure.  Yay!!

Note that I didn't test this with LAVA, I just used my local pyboot
setup, but I had to patch pyboot to deal with that automatic login.

@Matt: Is LAVA going to be confused by the automatic root login part?
Seems like when it sees the "login:" prompot, it will try to login, even
though a login isn't needed.

Kevin