* [Qemu-devel] QEMU advent calendar
@ 2018-07-13  8:34 Richard Jansson
From: Richard Jansson @ 2018-07-13  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi

I checked in on the QEMU advent calendar side of which I have very fond
memories. I'm very impressed and grateful for the work that you've put into
this site. My question to you is the following, what are your plans for the
continuation of the program?

In case there's anything I can do I'll gladly put in some work to help you
out to support you in your noble cause :)

Regards
Richard

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU advent calendar
@ 2018-07-16  9:15 ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2018-07-16  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jansson, qemu-devel
  Cc: Kashyap Chamarthy, Stefan Hajnoczi, Laurent Vivier, Alberto Garcia

On 13.07.2018 10:34, Richard Jansson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I checked in on the QEMU advent calendar side of which I have very fond
> memories. I'm very impressed and grateful for the work that you've put into
> this site. My question to you is the following, what are your plans for the
> continuation of the program?

 Hi Richard,

thanks for the kind words and your interest in the QEMU advent calendar!
This year, QEMU had its 15th anniversary, so we indeed already thought
about doing a third round of the QEMU advent calendar this year...

> In case there's anything I can do I'll gladly put in some work to help you
> out to support you in your noble cause :)

The problem is to come up with ideas for 24 suitable images [1], and to
prepare them (it's quite time-consuming). So far, we're not certain yet
whether we could do a 2018 edition of the calendar since we hardly have
any images yet. So if you've got ideas for some images, and/or could
help to prepare some, that would be very appreciated! Please get in
touch with us off-list in that case (to avoid to spoil the surprise for
the public).

 Cheers,
  Thomas

[1] See my announcement mail from 2016 for the rules of suitable images:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2016-12/msg00039.html

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU advent calendar
@ 2018-07-16 10:14   ` Kashyap Chamarthy
From: Kashyap Chamarthy @ 2018-07-16 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth
  Cc: Richard Jansson, qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi, Laurent Vivier,
	Alberto Garcia

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 11:15:43AM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 13.07.2018 10:34, Richard Jansson wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I checked in on the QEMU advent calendar side of which I have very fond
> > memories. I'm very impressed and grateful for the work that you've put into
> > this site. My question to you is the following, what are your plans for the
> > continuation of the program?
>
>  Hi Richard,
>
> thanks for the kind words and your interest in the QEMU advent calendar!
> This year, QEMU had its 15th anniversary, so we indeed already thought
> about doing a third round of the QEMU advent calendar this year...
>
> > In case there's anything I can do I'll gladly put in some work to help you
> > out to support you in your noble cause :)
>
> The problem is to come up with ideas for 24 suitable images [1], and to
> prepare them (it's quite time-consuming). So far, we're not certain yet
> whether we could do a 2018 edition of the calendar since we hardly have
> any images yet. So if you've got ideas for some images, and/or could
> help to prepare some, that would be very appreciated! Please get in
> touch with us off-list in that case (to avoid to spoil the surprise for
> the public).

Yeah, what Thomas said above.

That said, I've been on the fence for the 2018 edition.  As Thomas said,
we've been thinking about it for some months, and I've jotted down some
ideas and images; just haven't gotten around to make images and other
related tasks.  I've been trying to make time, but was consumed with
several things work and non-work related, that it was hard so far.  :-(

Still, there is time, and I don't want to "give up" -- it'll be nice to
do a 15-year edition.  Maybe I'll get renewed energy after discussions
at the KVM Forum in Edinburgh later this year (in October) and make
time.  And it's also nice to see renewed interest here!

--
/kashyap

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Advent Calendar
@ 2016-12-08 14:22   ` Martin Steigerwald
From: Martin Steigerwald @ 2016-12-08 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth; +Cc: qemu-devel, Kashyap Chamarthy

Am Donnerstag, 8. Dezember 2016, 09:14:06 CET schrieb Thomas Huth:
> On 07.12.2016 23:15, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
[…]
> > Considered
> >
> > http://aros.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > or some of its distributions?
>
> Yes, just yesterday, somebody else suggested that to me. So far, I only
> thought this OS would run on some Amiga hardware and clones, I wasn't
> aware of the icaros distribution which also runs on x86. I'll have a
> closer look when time permits...

Also AROS itself is available for x86. Thats actually where it started. m68k
ports nowadays also used in a free replacement Kickstart ROM for WinUAE, other
emulators and I think also physical classic Amiga´s came at a later time.

The Icaros distribution my be just fine as a show case for QEMU.

Martin

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Advent Calendar
@ 2016-12-08  8:14 ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2016-12-08  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Steigerwald, qemu-devel; +Cc: Kashyap Chamarthy

On 07.12.2016 23:15, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Dear Thomas, Dear Kashyap, dear QEMU developers,
>
> What a wonderful idea!
>
> Thank you.

Thanks for the kind words!

> Considered
>
> http://aros.sourceforge.net/
>
> or some of its distributions?

Yes, just yesterday, somebody else suggested that to me. So far, I only
thought this OS would run on some Amiga hardware and clones, I wasn't
aware of the icaros distribution which also runs on x86. I'll have a
closer look when time permits...

 Thanks,
  Thomas

* [Qemu-devel] QEMU Advent Calendar