* [LARTC] Need big buffer!
@ 2007-02-08 17:42 Bob Puff@NLE
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Bob Puff@NLE @ 2007-02-08 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Hi gang,

I have an application that is sending streaming media to a server.  The encoder computer sends an
average of 200kbit stream; but for short, 1 second bursts, can hit 400-500kbits.  After it does one
of these bursts, it reduces its output for another second or two, so that it maintains its average
of 200kbits.

The problem is that it is sending UDP packets into a DSL link that has a fixed upstream cap of
300kbit.  All is fine until it decides to burst, then I get dropped packets.

Is there a way I can insert a linux box after the encoding machine that I can use some traffic
shaping to:

1. Make sure it never sends more than 300k up (I do know how to do this now)
2. Make a big buffer so that I can still get all the data through the pipe, albeit with some delay,
when these bursts happen.  I would need this buffer to handle at least 2 seconds worth, maybe more.

I need something like this:

Time    IN       OUT
(secs)  (kbit)   (kbit)
----------------------