* [MPTCP] Re: some squashing needed?
@ 2019-09-27 23:27 Peter Krystad
From: Peter Krystad @ 2019-09-27 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

On Fri, 2019-09-27 at 17:02 +0200, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> On 26/09/2019 19:20, Paolo Abeni wrote:
> > On Thu, 2019-09-26 at 17:05 +0200, Florian Westphal wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > from Paolo.
> > >
> > > But I figured it would make sense to share this now and discuss
> > > how to proceed from here first.
> >
> > The above branch is based on mptcp_net-next export branch hash
> > a45bdbe6701b
>
> Great, still the last one. So everything is in it.
>
> > There is a small diff vs such hash, see below. Mostily checkpack fixes,
> > a trivial functional fix in mptcp_setsockopt(), and a bunch of likely
> > not interesting debug messages dropped - side note: we may want remove
> > more of them.
>
> I guess that we indeed need to remove most of these pr_debug() at some
> points. Thank you for having done that!
> Also great to have looked at checkpatch and making sure each commit can
> compile :-)
>
> For the fix in mptcp_setsockopt(), was it due to a bad "squash"?
>
> For the diff, it looks good to me.
>
> *@Peter/@Mat*: is it also OK for you?

I don't see the above sha, but I did a diff between 0921 and 0927 tags in
export and I am satisfied with the minor diffs.

Peter.

@ 2019-09-28  7:11 Matthieu Baerts
From: Matthieu Baerts @ 2019-09-28  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

Hi Florian,

On 27/09/2019 23:11, Florian Westphal wrote:
> Matthieu Baerts <matthieu.baerts(a)tessares.net> wrote:
>> On 27/09/2019 17:51, Florian Westphal wrote:
>>> I can fold Peters mptcp prefix patch for crypto where needed and push a
>>> v2, let me know.
>>
>> I just pushed a new tree on mptcp_net-next repo on Github based on your
>> branch :)
>
> Awesome.
>
>> I didn't want to block anybody but I can re-create a new one again later
>> if needed!
>
> Great.
>
>> Also I don't mind squashing this patch and also do the same for the
>> remaining functions (subflow_ ones I guess). I can do that on Monday if
>> it is OK for you.
>
> Sure.
>
> I squashed Peters patch, you can get a branch with it folded by pulling
> git://git.breakpoint.cc/fw/mptcp-next.git export_squash_11
>
> The diff between current export and this branch is Peters patch, nothing
> else.

Great, thank you for that!
I just re-created the tree using your branch.

> If you could prefix the path management api that would be great (to avoid
> confusion with 'power management') subflow would be good too.

Sure I will do that on Monday. I will also apply all accepted patches.

I saw that Peter started this refactoring work for the PM but I didn't
see the patches. I will see what I can do on Monday. I don't mind
looking at that not to disturb Peter while he is looking at IPv6 support :)

>> Also, before recreating the new tree, I remove all (Git) refs to the
>> previous ones. If someone uses our repo with Topgit (we never know :) ),
>> please do the same on your side!
>
> Sorry, not following.  What would you like me to do?

Nothing to do on your side. Only for those who are using TopGit. I guess
only the CI and me.

I removed all these refs from our Github repo:
- refs/heads/t/*
- refs/top-bases/*
- refs/heads/for-review
- (refs/heads/export → but that's normal)

When recreating the tree, I used the same naming convention. Then most
of these refs have been overridden, the rest is no longer used.

But I guess that's not a problem being the only user of these refs :-)

> I plan to work on a v2 of the snmp counters on Monday, esp. dropping all
> the unused/dubious counters.

Excellent!

> If there is anything else please let me know.

Thank you. I don't think there are anything else needed before sending
the RFCv2 to netdev apart from the cover letter draft.

On my side, I will:
- prefix exposed functions related to subflows
- prefix exposed functions related to PM (or apply Peter's patch)
- apply: "mptcp: fix retransmit timer update"
- apply: "mptcp: add MIB counter infrastructure" (if ready)
- apply: "mptcp: Remove all traces of checksum support" (if OK)
- apply: "mptcp: Implement interim path manager" (if it is OK)

Do you see anything else I can do on my side?

I would like to have a look at supporting MPTCPv1 but I don't want to
slow down any defined plans :)

> I still need to do v2 of the 'poll' patch set, I will do that next after
> the snmp counters are done.

Thank you for that! I guess it is not needed to have it in our RFCv2,
right? Or do you think it would be better there? I also don't know if
the goal is to squash these new commit or add them at the end.

Cheers,
Matt
--
Matthieu Baerts | R&D Engineer