* Bitbake: checksums handling for local directories
@ 2021-12-22 17:54 Shmuel Hazan
       [not found] ` <f9956bd115ac0ed26d7ef966e89bd8dc1d30a667.camel@linuxfoundation.org>
From: Shmuel Hazan @ 2021-12-22 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi everyone,

I noticed a strange behavior of bitbake, and I am not sure whether it is a bug:

Let say that I have a simple recipe that takes the directory `THISDIR/files/A` and install all the files inside of it:

SRC_URI = "file://A/"
S = "${WORKDIR}/A"
do_install() {
    install -m 644 ${S}/* ${D}
}

Let say that I have one file called "my_file" inside of that directory.

It will work great, and I will get a package with "/myfile" -- until I will rename a file to "/myfile1" in the directory. Since the file content stayed the same, do_fetch won't be triggered and as a result, the package will stay the same and have "/myfile".

The only proper way to workaround it was to mark this recipe's do_fetch as nostamp:

do_fetch[nostamp] = "1"

I am currently working with bitbake 1.46.0.

Questions:
1. Is this a known issue?
2. I could not find any reference to a similar issue / a recent change that could have caused the issue, am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks,
Shmuel.

* Re: [yocto] Bitbake: checksums handling for local directories
       [not found] ` <f9956bd115ac0ed26d7ef966e89bd8dc1d30a667.camel@linuxfoundation.org>
@ 2021-12-22 18:57   ` Shmuel Hazan
From: Shmuel Hazan @ 2021-12-22 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: richard.purdie, yocto

On Wed, 2021-12-22 at 18:10 +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-12-22 at 17:54 +0000, Shmuel Hazan wrote:
> > I noticed a strange behavior of bitbake, and I am not sure whether
> > it is a
> > bug:
> >
> > Let say that I have a simple recipe that takes the directory
> > `THISDIR/files/A`
> > and install all the files inside of it:

> > SRC_URI = "file://A/"
> > S = "${WORKDIR}/A"
> > do_install() {
> >     install -m 644 ${S}/* ${D}
> > }
> >
> > Let say that I have one file called "my_file" inside of that
> > directory.
> >
> > It will work great, and I will get a package with "/myfile" --
> > until I will
> > rename a file to "/myfile1" in the directory. Since the file
> > content stayed
> > the same, do_fetch won't be triggered and as a result, the package
> > will stay
> > the same and have "/myfile".
> >
> > The only proper way to workaround it was to mark this recipe's
> > do_fetch as
> > nostamp:
> >
> > do_fetch[nostamp] = "1"
> >
> > I am currently working with bitbake 1.46.0.
> >
> > Questions:
> > 1. Is this a known issue?
> > 2. I could not find any reference to a similar issue / a recent
> > change that
> > could have caused the issue, am I doing something wrong here?
>
> I'm pretty sure we fixed bugs like that in more recent versions.

Thanks!

For a reference, b4975d2ecf615ac4c240808fbc5a3f879a93846b
(fetch2/checksum/siggen: Fix taskhashes not tracking file directories)
from 2~ months ago seems to solve that issue.

I see that the checksum code was not changed for a long time, is there
a chance that someone would accept a backport of this commit to
Dunfell/1.46?