* UML HowTo rewrite
@ 2020-04-20  8:01 Anton Ivanov
From: Anton Ivanov @ 2020-04-20  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: linux-um

Johannes,

Can we have a couple of sections on how to use time travel, virtio, etc so I can add the to the new howtos?

--
Anton R. Ivanov
Cambridgegreys Limited. Registered in England. Company Number 10273661

* Re: UML HowTo rewrite
@ 2020-04-20  8:30 ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2020-04-20  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Ivanov; +Cc: linux-um

Hi Anton,

> Can we have a couple of sections on how to use time travel, virtio,
> etc so I can add the to the new howtos?

Yeah, I guess that makes sense, at least for the parts that are actually
done :)

Want to merge it, and I'll add something as patches later? Seems easier
(especially for new content)?

johannes

* Re: UML HowTo rewrite
@ 2020-04-20  8:33   ` Anton Ivanov
From: Anton Ivanov @ 2020-04-20  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: linux-um

On 20/04/2020 09:30, Johannes Berg wrote:
> Hi Anton,
>
>> Can we have a couple of sections on how to use time travel, virtio,
>> etc so I can add the to the new howtos?
>
> Yeah, I guess that makes sense, at least for the parts that are actually
> done :)
>
> Want to merge it, and I'll add something as patches later? Seems easier
> (especially for new content)?

Sure. I hope to finish cleaning up the base content today and we can handle
everything as PRs/Patches from there onward.

@ 2020-04-22 13:30     ` Anton Ivanov
From: Anton Ivanov @ 2020-04-22 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: linux-um

On 20/04/2020 09:33, Anton Ivanov wrote:

> On 20/04/2020 09:30, Johannes Berg wrote:
>> Hi Anton,
>>
>>> Can we have a couple of sections on how to use time travel, virtio,
>>> etc so I can add the to the new howtos?
>>
>> Yeah, I guess that makes sense, at least for the parts that are actually
>> done :)
>>
>> Want to merge it, and I'll add something as patches later? Seems easier
>> (especially for new content)?
>
> Sure. I hope to finish cleaning up the base content today and we can handle
> everything as PRs/Patches from there onward.

The initial content is more or less in place.

Comments and PRs to change/add things are welcome.

https://github.com/kot-begemot-uk/uml-howto-v2

@ 2020-04-22 13:47       ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2020-04-22 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Ivanov; +Cc: linux-um

On Wed, 2020-04-22 at 14:30 +0100, Anton Ivanov wrote:

> The initial content is more or less in place.

Great. I actually saw it (you posted a link to a PR before) and pointed
a colleague who was interested in what I'm doing with all my time-travel
simulation and UML to it. I told him feedback would surely be welcome :)

> Comments and PRs to change/add things are welcome.
>
> https://github.com/kot-begemot-uk/uml-howto-v2

Are you going to submit it to the Documentation/ folder in the kernel?

I'd much prefer to contribute changes to the kernel after it lands
there, otherwise I'd have to jump through (legal) approval hoops ...

Btw, one thing that I think is useful to document is how to run
*without* an image - you don't need a full OS inside. Most of my use
cases just run something like

./linux mem=256M root=none hostfs=/ rootfstype=hostfs rootflags=/ init=/some/script.sh

Would be a worthwhile addition, I think?

Anyway, like I said above, I'm happy to contribute to this but would
prefer if it's in the kernel first.

johannes

* Re: UML HowTo rewrite
@ 2020-04-22 13:53         ` Anton Ivanov
From: Anton Ivanov @ 2020-04-22 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: linux-um

On 22/04/2020 14:47, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-04-22 at 14:30 +0100, Anton Ivanov wrote:
>> The initial content is more or less in place.
> Great. I actually saw it (you posted a link to a PR before) and pointed
> a colleague who was interested in what I'm doing with all my time-travel
> simulation and UML to it. I told him feedback would surely be welcome :)
>
>> Comments and PRs to change/add things are welcome.
>>
>> https://github.com/kot-begemot-uk/uml-howto-v2
> Are you going to submit it to the Documentation/ folder in the kernel?

Yes. A couple of revisions, reviews and PRs first though :)

> I'd much prefer to contribute changes to the kernel after it lands
> there, otherwise I'd have to jump through (legal) approval hoops ...

Easier to deal with the early "high flux" change rate when it is out of
tree.

> Btw, one thing that I think is useful to document is how to run
> *without* an image - you don't need a full OS inside. Most of my use
> cases just run something like
>
> ./linux mem=256M root=none hostfs=/ rootfstype=hostfs rootflags=/ init=/some/script.sh

hostfs and hostfs use as root is in the Advanced section.

As I do not use it, can you review it (it is mostly copied from the old
howto).

IMHO hostfs can be significantly improved by using inotify. It has been
on my TODO list for a while now.

> Would be a worthwhile addition, I think?
>
> Anyway, like I said above, I'm happy to contribute to this but would
> prefer if it's in the kernel first.

I have a little bit more content to add to the Developing section, but as I said - I am happy to do it after we add it to the tree if everyone thinks that this is better.