* sdio_f0_readb()
@ 2017-07-13 16:04 Ian Molton
From: Ian Molton @ 2017-07-13 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Hansson; +Cc: linux-mmc

Hi folks,

What is the function sdio_f0_readb() so special for? it seems to be used
by a tiny handful of drivers and is equivalent to sdio_readb() with the
function parameter set to 0.

Its twin sdio_f0_writeb() does some very minimal checking for register
bounds.

Is it really worth all this abstraction for a few (usually wifi)
drivers? surely the driver knows which registers it should touch anyway?
its not like most bus drivers perform this sort of checking...

Should this be done away with before more drivers start using it? I'm
happy to submit a patch to remove sdio_f0*()

-Ian

* Re: sdio_f0_readb()
@ 2017-07-14  9:12 ` Ulf Hansson
From: Ulf Hansson @ 2017-07-14  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Molton; +Cc: linux-mmc

On 13 July 2017 at 18:04, Ian Molton <ian@mnementh.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> What is the function sdio_f0_readb() so special for? it seems to be used
> by a tiny handful of drivers and is equivalent to sdio_readb() with the
> function parameter set to 0.
>
> Its twin sdio_f0_writeb() does some very minimal checking for register
> bounds.
>
> Is it really worth all this abstraction for a few (usually wifi)
> drivers? surely the driver knows which registers it should touch anyway?
> its not like most bus drivers perform this sort of checking...
>
> Should this be done away with before more drivers start using it? I'm
> happy to submit a patch to remove sdio_f0*()

Why not just submit the patch - and let people discuss about it? :-)

Kind regards
Uffe