* mesh point and ap mode on same interface
@ 2017-10-06 12:00 Harms, Hannes
From: Harms, Hannes @ 2017-10-06 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k

Hi,

is it possible to run a mesh point and an access
point on the same physical interface?
I have tried with a WLE900VX QCA9880, kernel 4.10 with no success.

But according to this thread
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/ath10k/2016-September/008374.html
it should be possible.

iw list gives to following:

#valid interface combinations:
#         * #{ AP, mesh point } <= 8, #{ managed } <= 1,
#          total <= 8, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match ...

So it is not  a valid combination?

I have tried t bring up the ap interface with iw / hostapd,
after joining the mesh.

When I start the second interface, rtnetlink responds with
device or resource busy.

thanks,
Hannes

* Re: mesh point and ap mode on same interface
@ 2017-10-06 16:52 ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2017-10-06 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harms, Hannes, ath10k

On 10/06/2017 05:00 AM, Harms, Hannes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to run a mesh point and an access
> point on the same physical interface?
> I have tried with a WLE900VX QCA9880, kernel 4.10 with no success.
>
> But according to this thread
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/ath10k/2016-September/008374.html
> it should be possible.
>
> iw list gives to following:
>
> #valid interface combinations:
> #         * #{ AP, mesh point } <= 8, #{ managed } <= 1,
> #          total <= 8, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match ...
>
> So it is not  a valid combination?
>
> I have tried t bring up the ap interface with iw / hostapd,
> after joining the mesh.
>
> When I start the second interface, rtnetlink responds with
> device or resource busy.

IBSS + AP works on the CT firmware/driver, at least,
but our CT 10.1 (988x) firmware does not support MESH at this point.

I think I had to modify the driver to relax the valid combinations check,
and possibly the stock firmware cannot handle that.

Maybe someday we'll support MESH on 988x, but to date, there has not been
a lot of interest...

http://www.candelatech.com/ath10k.php

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

* Re: mesh point and ap mode on same interface
@ 2017-10-06 18:18   ` Peter Oh
From: Peter Oh @ 2017-10-06 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Greear, Harms, Hannes, ath10k

I have tried t bring up the ap interface with iw / hostapd,
>> after joining the mesh.
>>
>> When I start the second interface, rtnetlink responds with
>> device or resource busy.

If you give more details of your steps, people may help you more.
Btw, did you create a 2nd interface on the same radio and change the mac
address?

@ 2017-10-09  8:47     ` Harms, Hannes
       [not found]       ` <CADjYELwdUxEap_z=_HD4DS4FEQ2_2HP3w9cvDU-BTFLoOTDipg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Harms, Hannes @ 2017-10-09  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Oh, Ben Greear, ath10k

On 10/06/2017 20:18, Peter, Oh wrote
> I have tried t bring up the ap interface with iw / hostapd,
>>> after joining the mesh.
>>>
>>> When I start the second interface, rtnetlink responds with
>>> device or resource busy.
>>
> If you give more details of your steps, people may help you more.
> Btw, did you create a 2nd interface on the same radio and change the
> mac address?

Yes,  I changed the mac of the 2nd interface:

The mesh setup:

 > brctl addbr mesh-bridge
 > iw phy0 interface add wlan0 type mp mesh_id my_mesh
 > iw wlan0 set freq 5500 80 5530
 > ip link set dev wlan0 up
 > iw wlan0 mesh join my_mesh
 > brctl addif  mesh-bridge mesh0

The ap interface:

 > iw dev wlan0 interface add virtual_ap type __ap
 > ip link set dev virtual_ap address 04:f0:21:1b:7b:48
 > hostapd -B -dd hostapd.conf

the  hostapd config:

interface=virtual_ap
#ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
driver=nl80211
ssid=infra
hw_mode=a
channel=100
ht_capab=[HT40+]
ieee80211n=1
ieee80211ac=1
vht_oper_chwidth=1
vht_oper_centr_freq_seg0_idx=106
bridge=mesh-bridge

The 2nd interface is not running.  (device or resource busy)
What I do not understand is, that according to
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/ath10k/2016-September/008374.html
mesh + ap seems possible, even with some stock firmware versions.

* Re: mesh point and ap mode on same interface
       [not found]         ` <5c04c7fe-8cf8-ddd8-d6a7-f42629586a63@bowerswilkins.com>
@ 2017-10-09 19:14           ` Peter Oh
       [not found]           ` <067d234a-59f0-4175-55af-9354617057b9@tu-bs.de>
From: Peter Oh @ 2017-10-09 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Pedersen, Harms, Hannes; +Cc: Ben Greear, ath10k

@ 2017-10-11 18:10             ` Peter Oh
From: Peter Oh @ 2017-10-11 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannes Harms, Thomas Pedersen; +Cc: Ben Greear, ath10k

On 10/10/2017 06:04 AM, Hannes Harms wrote:

>> On 10/09/2017 08:08 AM, Thomas Pedersen wrote:
>>> On Oct 9, 2017 1:46 AM, "Harms, Hannes" <hannes.harms@tu-bs.de
>>> <mailto:hannes.harms@tu-bs.de>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     On 10/06/2017 20:18, Peter, Oh wrote
>>>
>>>         I have tried t bring up the ap interface with iw / hostapd,
>>>
>>>                 after joining the mesh.
>>>
>>>                 When I start the second interface, rtnetlink
>>>                 responds with
>>>                 device or resource busy.
>>>

>>>         If you give more details of your steps, people may help you
>>>         more.
>>>         Btw, did you create a 2nd interface on the same radio and
>>>         change the mac address?
>>>

>>>     Yes,  I changed the mac of the 2nd interface:
>>>
>>>     The mesh setup:
>>>
>>>     > brctl addbr mesh-bridge
>>>     > iw phy0 interface add wlan0 type mp mesh_id my_mesh
>>>     > iw wlan0 set freq 5500 80 5530
>>>     > ip link set dev wlan0 up
>>>     > iw wlan0 mesh join my_mesh
>>>     > brctl addif  mesh-bridge mesh0
>>>
>> Are you sure this configuration is what you're using?
>> there is no way to use DFS channels on mesh via iw at this moment.
>> and mesh id on brctl addif is different from interface add.
>>
>>>     The ap interface:
>>>
>>>     > iw dev wlan0 interface add virtual_ap type __ap
>>>     > ip link set dev virtual_ap address 04:f0:21:1b:7b:48
>>>     > hostapd -B -dd hostapd.conf
>>>
>> hostapd also does not allow interface to use DFS channels without
>> country_code parameter.
>>>
>>>     I think mesh and AP channel frequency + width need to match.
>>>
> Yes, you are right with the dfs channels,
> I was testing with some relaxed reg rules.
>
> However,  I  am still facing the original problem.
> For example if i run the following, the mesh is working (80Mhz),
> but ap does not come up.
>
> > iw phy0 interface add mesh0 type mp
> > ip link set dev mesh0 up
> > iw dev mesh0 mesh join "my_mesh" freq 5180 80MHz
> > sleep 5
> > iw phy0 interface add virtual_ap type __ap
> > ip link set dev virtual_ap address 04:f0:21:1b:7b:48
> > hostapd -B -dd hostapd.conf
>
> hostapd config:
> interface=virtual_ap
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
> driver=nl80211
> ssid=test
> hw_mode=a
> channel=36
> ht_capab=[HT40+]
> ieee80211n=1
> ieee80211ac=1
> vht_oper_chwidth=1
> vht_oper_centr_freq_seg0_idx=42
> country_code=US
> bridge=mesh-bridge

Since I don't have QCA9880 products, I'm not able to run it on the chip,
but the same steps using the same configurations work for me on QCA4019
based product.
since EBUSY most likely comes from cfg80211, you better trace down the
codes where the error comes.

@ 2017-11-08 12:49               ` Harms, Hannes
From: Harms, Hannes @ 2017-11-08 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ben Greear, ath10k, Peter Oh

Am 11.10.2017 um 20:10 schrieb Peter Oh:

>>> Are you sure this configuration is what you're using?
>>> there is no way to use DFS channels on mesh via iw at this moment.
>>> and mesh id on brctl addif is different from interface add.

>>> hostapd also does not allow interface to use DFS channels without
>>> country_code parameter.

>> Yes, you are right with the dfs channels,
>> I was testing with some relaxed reg rules.
>>
>> However,  I  am still facing the original problem.
>> For example if i run the following, the mesh is working (80Mhz),
>> but ap does not come up.
>>
>> > iw phy0 interface add mesh0 type mp
>> > ip link set dev mesh0 up
>> > iw dev mesh0 mesh join "my_mesh" freq 5180 80MHz
>> > sleep 5
>> > iw phy0 interface add virtual_ap type __ap
>> > ip link set dev virtual_ap address 04:f0:21:1b:7b:48
>> > hostapd -B -dd hostapd.conf
>>
>> hostapd config:
>> interface=virtual_ap
>> ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
>> driver=nl80211
>> ssid=test
>> hw_mode=a
>> channel=36
>> ht_capab=[HT40+]
>> ieee80211n=1
>> ieee80211ac=1
>> vht_oper_chwidth=1
>> vht_oper_centr_freq_seg0_idx=42
>> country_code=US
>> bridge=mesh-bridge
>>
> Since I don't have QCA9880 products, I'm not able to run it on the
> chip, but the same steps using the same configurations work for me on
> QCA4019 based product.
> since EBUSY most likely comes from cfg80211, you better trace down the
> codes where the error comes.
>> I also tried to join the mesh after the ap interface.
>> In this case the ap is running, but joining the mesh fails
>> with the same error. (device or resoure busy)
>>
>> thanks for your help & patience

I found a solution for the problem:

When joining the mesh with beacon interval  set  to 100
both  mesh and ap interface are coming up.

 > iw mesh0 mesh join my_mesh beacon-interval 100

The default beacon interval is 1000 for mesh interfaces.
It seems that QCA9880 is not working
with different beacon intervals for ap + mesh.

Anyway, I tested with mainline 4.14 and firmware-5.bin_10.2.4.70.61-2
and it is working now.

* Re: mesh point and ap mode on same interface
@ 2017-11-08 18:13                 ` Peter Oh
From: Peter Oh @ 2017-11-08 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harms, Hannes; +Cc: Ben Greear, ath10k

On 11/08/2017 04:49 AM, Harms, Hannes wrote:

>>> Yes, you are right with the dfs channels,
>>> I was testing with some relaxed reg rules.
>>>
>>> However,  I  am still facing the original problem.
>>> For example if i run the following, the mesh is working (80Mhz),
>>> but ap does not come up.

>>> hostapd config:
>>> interface=virtual_ap
>>> ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
>>> driver=nl80211
>>> ssid=test
>>> hw_mode=a
>>> channel=36
>>> ht_capab=[HT40+]
>>> ieee80211n=1
>>> ieee80211ac=1
>>> vht_oper_chwidth=1
>>> vht_oper_centr_freq_seg0_idx=42
>>> country_code=US
>>> bridge=mesh-bridge
>>>
>> Since I don't have QCA9880 products, I'm not able to run it on the
>> chip, but the same steps using the same configurations work for me on
>> QCA4019 based product.
>> since EBUSY most likely comes from cfg80211, you better trace down
>> the codes where the error comes.
>>> I also tried to join the mesh after the ap interface.
>>> In this case the ap is running, but joining the mesh fails
>>> with the same error. (device or resoure busy)
>>>
>>> thanks for your help & patience
>
> I found a solution for the problem:
>
> When joining the mesh with beacon interval  set  to 100
> both  mesh and ap interface are coming up.
>
> > iw mesh0 mesh join my_mesh beacon-interval 100
>
> The default beacon interval is 1000 for mesh interfaces.
> It seems that QCA9880 is not working
> with different beacon intervals for ap + mesh.

Good to hear that working.
But mesh beacon interval 1000 which is default value should work.
Any mesh beacon intervals of multiple of AP beacon intervals are
supposed to work
(In other words, mesh beacon intervals that are not aligned by multiple
of AP beacon intervals won't work). These are valid for both of QCA9880
and QCA4019 as far as I know.

@ 2017-11-15 10:01                     ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2017-11-15 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Oh; +Cc: Harms, Hannes, Ben Greear, ath10k, linux-wireless

(adding linux-wireless for a cfg80211 question)

Peter Oh <peter.oh@bowerswilkins.com> writes:
> On 11/08/2017 04:49 AM, Harms, Hannes wrote:
>
>> I found a solution for the problem:
>>
>> When joining the mesh with beacon interval  set  to 100
>> both  mesh and ap interface are coming up.
>>
>> > iw mesh0 mesh join my_mesh beacon-interval 100
>>
>> The default beacon interval is 1000 for mesh interfaces.
>> It seems that QCA9880 is not working
>> with different beacon intervals for ap + mesh.
>
> Good to hear that working. But mesh beacon interval 1000 which is
> default value should work. Any mesh beacon intervals of multiple of AP
> beacon intervals are supposed to work.
>
> (In other words, mesh beacon intervals that are not aligned by
>multiple of AP beacon intervals won't work). These are valid for both
>of QCA9880 and QCA4019 as far as I know.

It would be nice if ath10k could print a warning if the beacon intervals
are not compatible. Or is there a way to enforce the beacon interval
with help of cfg80211 or mac80211?

--=20
Kalle Valo=

From: Kalle Valo @ 2017-11-15 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Oh; +Cc: Harms, Hannes, Ben Greear, linux-wireless, ath10k

@ 2017-11-15 10:13                       ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2017-11-15 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo, Peter Oh; +Cc: Harms, Hannes, Ben Greear, ath10k, linux-wireless

On 11/15/2017 11:01 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
> (adding linux-wireless for a cfg80211 question)
>
> Peter Oh <peter.oh@bowerswilkins.com> writes:
>> On 11/08/2017 04:49 AM, Harms, Hannes wrote:
>>
>>> I found a solution for the problem:
>>>
>>> When joining the mesh with beacon interval  set  to 100
>>> both  mesh and ap interface are coming up.

>>> The default beacon interval is 1000 for mesh interfaces.
>>> It seems that QCA9880 is not working
>>> with different beacon intervals for ap + mesh.
>>
>> Good to hear that working. But mesh beacon interval 1000 which is
>> default value should work. Any mesh beacon intervals of multiple of AP
>> beacon intervals are supposed to work.
>>
>> (In other words, mesh beacon intervals that are not aligned by
>> multiple of AP beacon intervals won't work). These are valid for both
>> of QCA9880 and QCA4019 as far as I know.
>
> It would be nice if ath10k could print a warning if the beacon intervals
> are not compatible. Or is there a way to enforce the beacon interval
> with help of cfg80211 or mac80211?

There is beacon interval checking in utility function
cfg80211_check_combinations() ->
cfg80211_iter_combinations() -> cfg80211_calculate_bi_data() for that.
However, it seems brcmfmac is the only user of that function according
to lxr (or elixir).

Regards,
Arend

From: Arend van Spriel @ 2017-11-15 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo, Peter Oh; +Cc: Harms, Hannes, Ben Greear, linux-wireless, ath10k

@ 2017-11-15 10:27                         ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2017-11-15 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend van Spriel
  Cc: Peter Oh, Harms, Hannes, Ben Greear, ath10k, linux-wireless

Arend van Spriel <arend.vanspriel@broadcom.com> writes:

> On 11/15/2017 11:01 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> (adding linux-wireless for a cfg80211 question)
>>
>> Peter Oh <peter.oh@bowerswilkins.com> writes:

>>> Good to hear that working. But mesh beacon interval 1000 which is
>>> default value should work. Any mesh beacon intervals of multiple of AP
>>> beacon intervals are supposed to work.
>>>
>>> (In other words, mesh beacon intervals that are not aligned by
>>> multiple of AP beacon intervals won't work). These are valid for both
>>> of QCA9880 and QCA4019 as far as I know.
>>
>> It would be nice if ath10k could print a warning if the beacon intervals
>> are not compatible. Or is there a way to enforce the beacon interval
>> with help of cfg80211 or mac80211?
>
> There is beacon interval checking in utility function
> cfg80211_check_combinations() ->
> cfg80211_iter_combinations() -> cfg80211_calculate_bi_data() for that.

Nice, that looks useful. Thanks for the tip.

> However, it seems brcmfmac is the only user of that function according
> to lxr (or elixir).

git-grep says the same.

--=20
Kalle Valo=

From: Kalle Valo @ 2017-11-15 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend van Spriel
  Cc: Harms, Hannes, Ben Greear, linux-wireless, ath10k, Peter Oh

Arend van Spriel <arend.vanspriel@broadcom.com> writes:

> On 11/15/2017 11:01 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> (adding linux-wireless for a cfg80211 question)
>>
>> Peter Oh <peter.oh@bowerswilkins.com> writes:

>>> Good to hear that working. But mesh beacon interval 1000 which is
>>> default value should work. Any mesh beacon intervals of multiple of AP
>>> beacon intervals are supposed to work.
>>>
>>> (In other words, mesh beacon intervals that are not aligned by
>>> multiple of AP beacon intervals won't work). These are valid for both
>>> of QCA9880 and QCA4019 as far as I know.
>>
>> It would be nice if ath10k could print a warning if the beacon intervals
>> are not compatible. Or is there a way to enforce the beacon interval
>> with help of cfg80211 or mac80211?
>
> There is beacon interval checking in utility function
> cfg80211_check_combinations() ->
> cfg80211_iter_combinations() -> cfg80211_calculate_bi_data() for that.

Nice, that looks useful. Thanks for the tip.

> However, it seems brcmfmac is the only user of that function according
> to lxr (or elixir).

git-grep says the same.

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: mesh point and ap mode on same interface
@ 2017-11-15 10:36                           ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2017-11-15 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: Peter Oh, Harms, Hannes, Ben Greear, ath10k, linux-wireless

On 11/15/2017 11:27 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Arend van Spriel <arend.vanspriel@broadcom.com> writes:
>
>> On 11/15/2017 11:01 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
>>> (adding linux-wireless for a cfg80211 question)

>>> It would be nice if ath10k could print a warning if the beacon intervals
>>> are not compatible. Or is there a way to enforce the beacon interval
>>> with help of cfg80211 or mac80211?
>>
>> There is beacon interval checking in utility function
>> cfg80211_check_combinations() ->
>> cfg80211_iter_combinations() -> cfg80211_calculate_bi_data() for that.
>
> Nice, that looks useful. Thanks for the tip.

Initally was added by:

commit 0c317a02ca982ca093e71bf07cb562265ba40032
Author: Purushottam Kushwaha <pkushwah@qti.qualcomm.com>
Date:   Wed Oct 12 18:26:51 2016 +0530

     cfg80211: support virtual interfaces with different beacon intervals

And last touched by Johannes:

commit 4c8dea638c16141adb046fd2e0cab51dfe43650c
Author: Johannes Berg <johannes.berg@intel.com>
Date:   Fri Oct 21 14:25:13 2016 +0200

     cfg80211: validate beacon int as part of iface combinations

The last commit message has some info on how to use in case of AP/mesh.

>> However, it seems brcmfmac is the only user of that function according
>> to lxr (or elixir).
>
> git-grep says the same.

Yeah. git-grep has not sunk in my system yet ;-)

Regards,
Arend

From: Arend van Spriel @ 2017-11-15 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: Harms, Hannes, Ben Greear, linux-wireless, ath10k, Peter Oh