* About the behavior of inline extent
@ 2017-04-10  3:27 Qu Wenruo
From: Qu Wenruo @ 2017-04-10  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Mason, David Sterba, Josef Bacik, btrfs

Hi,

Recent btrfs/137 test case makes me wonder what's the designed behavior
of btrfs inline data extent.

The current behavior in fact is quite a chaos.
We need a standard of how inline extent should behave.

1) max_inline limit
    The problem of current max_inline is, it's never clear what it is
    limiting.

    For example, we don't allow page sized inline extent if not
    compressed.
    But we allow page sized inline extent if it's compressed.
    Is it just limiting size after compression?
    What if we really want to limit size before compression?

2) inline extent condition
    Is inline extent allowed if we have following regular extent?

    For plain extent, prealloc can cause regular extent to co-exist with
    inlined one.
    While normal write will only convert inlined extent to regular one.

    While for compressed extent, it can co-exist with regular extent, by
    # xfs_io -f -c "pwrite 0 4k" -c sync -c "pwrite 4k 16k" /mnt/btrfs/file

    So which is the correct behavior?
    Personally I think we should not allow co-exist, as it's already
    causing a lot of fixes for it, that's to say neither current
    behavior is correct.

3) inline extent and fallocate
    For inline extent, as long as we are calling fallocate inside the
    page size, only the isize is expanded.

    Only beyond page size, we get prealloc extents.
    (However inlined extent is still here, not converted)

    What's the designed behavior? Convert inline to regular or just
    leave it as is?

Thanks,
Qu

* Re: About the behavior of inline extent
@ 2017-04-10 14:17 ` Josef Bacik
From: Josef Bacik @ 2017-04-10 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qu Wenruo; +Cc: Chris Mason, David Sterba, btrfs

> On Apr 9, 2017, at 11:27 PM, Qu Wenruo <quwenruo@cn.fujitsu.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Recent btrfs/137 test case makes me wonder what's the designed behavior of btrfs inline data extent.
>
> The current behavior in fact is quite a chaos.
> We need a standard of how inline extent should behave.
>
> 1) max_inline limit
>   The problem of current max_inline is, it's never clear what it is
>   limiting.
>
>   For example, we don't allow page sized inline extent if not
>   compressed.
>   But we allow page sized inline extent if it's compressed.
>   Is it just limiting size after compression?
>   What if we really want to limit size before compression?

max_inline is for the actual space on disk.  Compression takes up less space, therefore you can fit bigger actual data into the inline area.

> 2) inline extent condition
>   Is inline extent allowed if we have following regular extent?
>
>   For plain extent, prealloc can cause regular extent to co-exist with
>   inlined one.
>   While normal write will only convert inlined extent to regular one.
>
>   While for compressed extent, it can co-exist with regular extent, by
>   # xfs_io -f -c "pwrite 0 4k" -c sync -c "pwrite 4k 16k" /mnt/btrfs/file
>
>   So which is the correct behavior?
>   Personally I think we should not allow co-exist, as it's already
>   causing a lot of fixes for it, that's to say neither current
>   behavior is correct.

Historically we didn't have [inline][regular] because inline was always < block size, so any change to the inline extent to extend it resulted in a regular extent.  Obviously that changed with fallocate, so it is perfectly reasonable to have [inline][regular extent]

> 3) inline extent and fallocate
>   For inline extent, as long as we are calling fallocate inside the
>   page size, only the isize is expanded.
>
>   Only beyond page size, we get prealloc extents.
>   (However inlined extent is still here, not converted)
>
>   What's the designed behavior? Convert inline to regular or just
>   leave it as is?

Leave it.  fallocate doesn't change anything about existing regular extents.  Calling fallocate on a range completely inside of a regular extent does nothing, why would this change with an inline extent?  Now past the inline extent you get a new extent, exactly the same behavior as a regular extent.  Thanks,

Josef

* Re: About the behavior of inline extent
@ 2017-04-10 15:34   ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2017-04-10 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Bacik; +Cc: Qu Wenruo, Chris Mason, btrfs

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 10:17:52AM -0400, Josef Bacik wrote:

> > On Apr 9, 2017, at 11:27 PM, Qu Wenruo <quwenruo@cn.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recent btrfs/137 test case makes me wonder what's the designed behavior of btrfs inline data extent.
> >
> > The current behavior in fact is quite a chaos.
> > We need a standard of how inline extent should behave.
> >
> > 1) max_inline limit
> >   The problem of current max_inline is, it's never clear what it is
> >   limiting.
> >
> >   For example, we don't allow page sized inline extent if not
> >   compressed.
> >   But we allow page sized inline extent if it's compressed.
> >   Is it just limiting size after compression?
> >   What if we really want to limit size before compression?
> >

> max_inline is for the actual space on disk.  Compression takes up less
> space, therefore you can fit bigger actual data into the inline area.

But in practice the other limits apply so we never inline file larger
than sectorsize. So the percieved behaviour is more like it's limit of
the file size, not the actual storage.

> > 2) inline extent condition
> >   Is inline extent allowed if we have following regular extent?
> >
> >   For plain extent, prealloc can cause regular extent to co-exist with
> >   inlined one.
> >   While normal write will only convert inlined extent to regular one.
> >
> >   While for compressed extent, it can co-exist with regular extent, by
> >   # xfs_io -f -c "pwrite 0 4k" -c sync -c "pwrite 4k 16k" /mnt/btrfs/file
> >
> >   So which is the correct behavior?
> >   Personally I think we should not allow co-exist, as it's already
> >   causing a lot of fixes for it, that's to say neither current
> >   behavior is correct.
>
> Historically we didn't have [inline][regular] because inline was
> always < block size, so any change to the inline extent to extend it
> resulted in a regular extent.  Obviously that changed with fallocate,
> so it is perfectly reasonable to have [inline][regular extent]

I'm not sure it's perfectly reasonable, makes things confusing. Does all
the extent handling code expect another extent after an inline?

In my understanding, more from the user's perspective, is that inline
extent covers entire file smaller than some limit, otherwise it's all
regular extents.

> > 3) inline extent and fallocate
> >   For inline extent, as long as we are calling fallocate inside the
> >   page size, only the isize is expanded.
> >
> >   Only beyond page size, we get prealloc extents.
> >   (However inlined extent is still here, not converted)
> >
> >   What's the designed behavior? Convert inline to regular or just
> >   leave it as is?
>
> Leave it.

"Convert."

> fallocate doesn't change anything about existing regular
> extents.  Calling fallocate on a range completely inside of a regular
> extent does nothing, why would this change with an inline extent?

Because this leads to unexpected extent layout, contradicting what we've
told users for a long time.  Inline + regular does not bring anything
special anyway.

@ 2017-04-11  2:20     ` Qu Wenruo
From: Qu Wenruo @ 2017-04-11  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsterba, Josef Bacik, Chris Mason, btrfs

At 04/10/2017 11:34 PM, David Sterba wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 10:17:52AM -0400, Josef Bacik wrote:
>>
>>> On Apr 9, 2017, at 11:27 PM, Qu Wenruo <quwenruo@cn.fujitsu.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Recent btrfs/137 test case makes me wonder what's the designed behavior of btrfs inline data extent.
>>>
>>> The current behavior in fact is quite a chaos.
>>> We need a standard of how inline extent should behave.
>>>
>>> 1) max_inline limit
>>>    The problem of current max_inline is, it's never clear what it is
>>>    limiting.
>>>
>>>    For example, we don't allow page sized inline extent if not
>>>    compressed.
>>>    But we allow page sized inline extent if it's compressed.
>>>    Is it just limiting size after compression?
>>>    What if we really want to limit size before compression?
>>>

>> max_inline is for the actual space on disk.  Compression takes up less
>> space, therefore you can fit bigger actual data into the inline area.
>
> But in practice the other limits apply so we never inline file larger
> than sectorsize. So the percieved behaviour is more like it's limit of
> the file size, not the actual storage.

+1 for file size here.

Although both makes sense, the file size limit cause less confuse and
easier to understand.

>>> 2) inline extent condition
>>>    Is inline extent allowed if we have following regular extent?
>>>
>>>    For plain extent, prealloc can cause regular extent to co-exist with
>>>    inlined one.
>>>    While normal write will only convert inlined extent to regular one.
>>>
>>>    While for compressed extent, it can co-exist with regular extent, by
>>>    # xfs_io -f -c "pwrite 0 4k" -c sync -c "pwrite 4k 16k" /mnt/btrfs/file
>>>
>>>    So which is the correct behavior?
>>>    Personally I think we should not allow co-exist, as it's already
>>>    causing a lot of fixes for it, that's to say neither current
>>>    behavior is correct.
>>
>> Historically we didn't have [inline][regular] because inline was
>> always < block size, so any change to the inline extent to extend it
>> resulted in a regular extent.  Obviously that changed with fallocate,
>> so it is perfectly reasonable to have [inline][regular extent]

Even without fallocating, compression also makes difference.

# xfs_io -f -c "pwrite 0 4K" -c sync -c "pwrite 4k 8K" -c sync
/mnt/btrfs/file

Without compression, it causes one 12K extent.

With compression, it causes one inline extent and one 8K compressed extent.

Furthermore, even for compression, the extent layout change if the first
write is smaller than 4K.

# xfs_io -f -c "pwrite 0 4K" -c sync -c "pwrite 4k 8K" -c sync
/mnt/btrfs/file
^^^ This will cause inline extent with regular compressed extent.

# xfs_io -f -c "pwrite 0 2K" -c sync -c "pwrite 4k 8K" -c sync
/mnt/btrfs/file
^^^ While this will cause one compressed regular extent without inlined one

At least this behavior is confusing.

> I'm not sure it's perfectly reasonable, makes things confusing. Does all
> the extent handling code expect another extent after an inline?

Not really until recent.

For example, send can't handle it (at least not at best practice) until
this patch:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9667783/

And such inline-then-regular can even cause read corruption, fixed by
this one:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9449103/

And even before it, such layout can cause -EIO when reading:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9137293/

So it has been proven to be bug prone.

> In my understanding, more from the user's perspective, is that inline
> extent covers entire file smaller than some limit, otherwise it's all
> regular extents.

+1 for all inline or all regular.

>>> 3) inline extent and fallocate
>>>    For inline extent, as long as we are calling fallocate inside the
>>>    page size, only the isize is expanded.
>>>
>>>    Only beyond page size, we get prealloc extents.
>>>    (However inlined extent is still here, not converted)
>>>
>>>    What's the designed behavior? Convert inline to regular or just
>>>    leave it as is?
>>
>> Leave it.
>
> "Convert."
>
>> fallocate doesn't change anything about existing regular
>> extents.  Calling fallocate on a range completely inside of a regular
>> extent does nothing, why would this change with an inline extent?

But at least the nbytes is not correct.

# xfs_io -f -c "pwrite 0 2K" -c sync -c "falloc 2k 2k" -c sync
/mnt/btrfs/file1

The nbytes of that inode is still 2K, not 4K.

Thanks,
Qu

@ 2017-04-11  2:27       ` Qu Wenruo
From: Qu Wenruo @ 2017-04-11  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsterba, Josef Bacik, Chris Mason, btrfs

At 04/11/2017 10:20 AM, Qu Wenruo wrote:

>>> max_inline is for the actual space on disk.  Compression takes up less
>>> space, therefore you can fit bigger actual data into the inline area.
>>
>> But in practice the other limits apply so we never inline file larger
>> than sectorsize. So the percieved behaviour is more like it's limit of
>> the file size, not the actual storage.
>
> +1 for file size here.
>
> Although both makes sense, the file size limit cause less confuse and
> easier to understand.

>>> Historically we didn't have [inline][regular] because inline was
>>> always < block size, so any change to the inline extent to extend it
>>> resulted in a regular extent.  Obviously that changed with fallocate,
>>> so it is perfectly reasonable to have [inline][regular extent]
>
> Even without fallocating, compression also makes difference.
>
> # xfs_io -f -c "pwrite 0 4K" -c sync -c "pwrite 4k 8K" -c sync
> /mnt/btrfs/file
>
> Without compression, it causes one 12K extent.

Sorry , one 4K and one 8K, both regular here.