* Audio miniconference at LPC/KS - draft schedule
@ 2016-10-27 22:17 Mark Brown
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Mark Brown @ 2016-10-27 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Takashi Sakamoto, Liam Girdwood, vinod.koul,
	Luis R. Rodriguez, Eric Laurent

The audio miniconference is next Tuesday, starting at 9am in Sweeney CDE
at the Santa Fe Convention Center.

Currently the set of topics we have on the wiki and from e-mail for
discussion is:

 - mmap/no IRQ mode
 - Time stamp reporting (both current APIs and addition of ability to
   push down PCM sync)
 - USB audio power and latency performance
 - Standardizing HDMI / DP interface
 - SoundWire support
 - Tracepoints for PCM parameter support
 - Low latency audio
 - Propagating digital configuration through the DAPM graph
 - Userspace and configuration integration (how will topology etc get
   integrated in OSes)
 - Move of ASoC clocking into the clock API
 - HDA/ASoC integration
 - UCM scaling, does it scale well…?
 - How to improve upstreaming vendor drivers?
 - Stable / LTS kernel maintenance
 - Para Virtualized audio driver support
 - Userspace drivers (for IEEE 1394 and other things)
 - Dropping the DICE driver
 - Media Controller API integration
  - Is there anything new here or should we just drop this entirely?

which is quite a list but some of those should be fairly simple to
discuss so hopefully fairly quick.  I've made some effort to sort this
into a rough order but it's very much a first pass so suggestions for
changes are welcome.  Similarly are there are other things people think
we should discuss?

There's also some discussion of incoporating the kernel wide topic of
inter-device dependenices into the audio miniconference since this
affects audio (especially ASoC) quite a bit as well as several other
subsystems, that is likely to be just after a break or first thing in
the morning in order to allow others who aren't interested in audio
specifically to join (and hopefully if this happens we can convince them
to get involved in working on audio!).

I look forward to seeing many of you in Santa Fe next week!

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Audio miniconference at LPC/KS - draft schedule
@ 2016-10-28  8:01 ` Liam Girdwood
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Liam Girdwood @ 2016-10-28  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown
  Cc: alsa-devel, Takashi Iwai, Takashi Sakamoto, vinod.koul,

On Thu, 2016-10-27 at 23:17 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> which is quite a list but some of those should be fairly simple to
> discuss so hopefully fairly quick.  I've made some effort to sort this
> into a rough order but it's very much a first pass so suggestions for
> changes are welcome.  Similarly are there are other things people think
> we should discuss?

I can do a short intro and Q&A on Sound Open Firmware for anyone
interested in open source audio DSP firmwares (especially how we can
optimise firmware for ALSA, Pulseaudio, Linux etc).

Thanks

Liam

* Re: Audio miniconference at LPC/KS - draft schedule
@ 2016-10-28 11:47   ` Lars-Peter Clausen
From: Lars-Peter Clausen @ 2016-10-28 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Girdwood, Mark Brown
  Cc: alsa-devel, Takashi Iwai, Takashi Sakamoto, vinod.koul,

On 10/28/2016 10:01 AM, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-10-27 at 23:17 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
>
>> which is quite a list but some of those should be fairly simple to
>> discuss so hopefully fairly quick.  I've made some effort to sort this
>> into a rough order but it's very much a first pass so suggestions for
>> changes are welcome.  Similarly are there are other things people think
>> we should discuss?
>
> I can do a short intro and Q&A on Sound Open Firmware for anyone
> interested in open source audio DSP firmwares (especially how we can
> optimise firmware for ALSA, Pulseaudio, Linux etc).

Yes, I'm very interested in that, please do.

* Re: Audio miniconference at LPC/KS - draft schedule
@ 2016-10-28 15:39   ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2016-10-28 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Girdwood
  Cc: alsa-devel, Takashi Iwai, Takashi Sakamoto, vinod.koul,

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 09:01:03AM +0100, Liam Girdwood wrote:

> I can do a short intro and Q&A on Sound Open Firmware for anyone
> interested in open source audio DSP firmwares (especially how we can
> optimise firmware for ALSA, Pulseaudio, Linux etc).

That'd be good.

@ 2016-10-29 14:05 ` Takashi Sakamoto
From: Takashi Sakamoto @ 2016-10-29 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, alsa-devel
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood, Luis R. Rodriguez, vinod.koul, Eric Laurent

On 2016年10月28日 07:17, Mark Brown wrote:
> Currently the set of topics we have on the wiki and from e-mail for
> discussion is:
>
>  - mmap/no IRQ mode
>  - Time stamp reporting (both current APIs and addition of ability to
>    push down PCM sync)
>  - USB audio power and latency performance
>  - Standardizing HDMI / DP interface
>  - SoundWire support
>  - Tracepoints for PCM parameter support
>  - Low latency audio
>  - Propagating digital configuration through the DAPM graph
>  - Userspace and configuration integration (how will topology etc get
>    integrated in OSes)
>  - Move of ASoC clocking into the clock API
>  - HDA/ASoC integration
>  - UCM scaling, does it scale well…?
>  - How to improve upstreaming vendor drivers?
>  - Stable / LTS kernel maintenance
>  - Para Virtualized audio driver support
>  - Userspace drivers (for IEEE 1394 and other things)

I updated the wiki with a link to my presentation.
http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016:audio

>  - Dropping the DICE driver
>  - Media Controller API integration
>   - Is there anything new here or should we just drop this entirely?

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto

* Re: Audio miniconference at LPC/KS - draft schedule
@ 2016-10-31 23:39   ` Ughreja, Rakesh A
From: Ughreja, Rakesh A @ 2016-10-31 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Sakamoto, Mark Brown, alsa-devel
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Shah, Hardik T, Liam Girdwood, Koul, Vinod,
	Luis R. Rodriguez, Eric Laurent, Kale, Sanyog R, Bossart,
	Pierre-louis

Updated the SoundWire presentation link in WiKi
http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016:audio#topic_proposals

Direct link to presentation
https://github.com/rakeshughreja/soundwire/blob/master/SoundWire_Plumbers.pdf

Regards,
Rakesh

@ 2016-11-02  8:30 ` Koul, Vinod
From: Koul, Vinod @ 2016-11-02  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: broonie, alsa-devel; +Cc: liam.r.girdwood, tiwai, ckeepax, o-takashi

Hi Mark, Takashi,

We need to find some time to discuss these..

- ASoC HDA..
- Byte controls TLV issue raised by Sakomoto-san (need charles here as
well)

Thanks
~Vinod

--
~Vinod

* Re: Audio miniconference at LPC/KS - draft schedule
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-11-02 13:17 ` Lars-Peter Clausen
From: Lars-Peter Clausen @ 2016-11-02 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, alsa-devel
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Takashi Sakamoto, Liam Girdwood, vinod.koul,

On 10/28/2016 12:17 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
>  - Propagating digital configuration through the DAPM graph

The diagrams can be found at http://metafoo.de/the_new_asoc.svg

* Re: Audio miniconference at LPC/KS - draft schedule
@ 2016-11-13  3:33   ` Takashi Sakamoto
From: Takashi Sakamoto @ 2016-11-13  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koul, Vinod, broonie, alsa-devel; +Cc: liam.r.girdwood, tiwai, ckeepax

Hi,

On Nov 2 2016 17:30, Koul, Vinod wrote:

> Hi Mark, Takashi,
>
> We need to find some time to discuss these..
>
> - ASoC HDA..
> - Byte controls TLV issue raised by Sakomoto-san (need charles here as
> well)

I find this message now.
(Hobbyists don't have so much time for their hobbies, against your
expectation.)

If you really hope to discuss this issue, please prepare for it with
enough time. At least, you, Charles and Mark don't realize
disadvantages of the abuse and its negative effects to user space, and
it takes a long time for me to change your minds.

On the other hand, I have little motivation to this issue. I have a
batch of tasks for my commitment to this subsystem. So I don't mind
that you continue the abuse, as long as it's just within ALSA SoC
part.

Anyway, in next time, please inform this kind of proposals in advance.
Then, I can use my time to prepare for sharing fundamental information,
for good discussion.

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto

* Re: Audio miniconference at LPC/KS - draft schedule
@ 2016-11-13  6:09     ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2016-11-13  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Sakamoto; +Cc: liam.r.girdwood, tiwai, alsa-devel, broonie, ckeepax

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 12:33:05PM +0900, Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Nov 2 2016 17:30, Koul, Vinod wrote:
> >
> >Hi Mark, Takashi,
> >
> >We need to find some time to discuss these..
> >
> >- ASoC HDA..
> >- Byte controls TLV issue raised by Sakomoto-san (need charles here as
> >well)
>
> I find this message now.
> (Hobbyists don't have so much time for their hobbies, against your
> expectation.)
>
> If you really hope to discuss this issue, please prepare for it with
> enough time. At least, you, Charles and Mark don't realize
> disadvantages of the abuse and its negative effects to user space, and
> it takes a long time for me to change your minds.

Well we did plan for it. Unfortunately some topics took more time than
expected and we got evicted from the room earlier than we thought!

> On the other hand, I have little motivation to this issue. I have a
> batch of tasks for my commitment to this subsystem. So I don't mind
> that you continue the abuse, as long as it's just within ALSA SoC
> part.
>
> Anyway, in next time, please inform this kind of proposals in
> advance. Then, I can use my time to prepare for sharing fundamental
> information, for good discussion.

It was part of topics Mark sent out, since we didn't discuss in main day, I
wanted to discuss with rest over hallway tracks

--
~Vinod

* Re: Audio miniconference at LPC/KS - draft schedule
@ 2016-11-14  2:01       ` Takashi Sakamoto
From: Takashi Sakamoto @ 2016-11-14  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul; +Cc: liam.r.girdwood, tiwai, alsa-devel, broonie, ckeepax

On Nov 13 2016 15:09, Vinod Koul wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 12:33:05PM +0900, Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Nov 2 2016 17:30, Koul, Vinod wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Mark, Takashi,
>>>
>>> We need to find some time to discuss these..
>>>
>>> - ASoC HDA..
>>> - Byte controls TLV issue raised by Sakomoto-san (need charles here as
>>> well)
>>
>> I find this message now.
>> (Hobbyists don't have so much time for their hobbies, against your
>> expectation.)
>>
>> If you really hope to discuss this issue, please prepare for it with
>> enough time. At least, you, Charles and Mark don't realize
>> disadvantages of the abuse and its negative effects to user space, and
>> it takes a long time for me to change your minds.
>
> Well we did plan for it. Unfortunately some topics took more time than
> expected and we got evicted from the room earlier than we thought!

?

At least, the 'abuse of control interface in bytes_tlv in ALSA SoC part'
was not nominated to issue list in this wiki.
http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016:audio

I think it better for you to re-consider procedures to propose items for
discussion...

>> On the other hand, I have little motivation to this issue. I have a
>> batch of tasks for my commitment to this subsystem. So I don't mind
>> that you continue the abuse, as long as it's just within ALSA SoC
>> part.
>>
>> Anyway, in next time, please inform this kind of proposals in
>> advance. Then, I can use my time to prepare for sharing fundamental
>> information, for good discussion.
>
> It was part of topics Mark sent out, since we didn't discuss in main day, I
> wanted to discuss with rest over hallway tracks

I never address to the time. I just mention about the procedure.

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto