* Cant get internet access on my router (sent again)
@ 2004-10-21 18:59 Ole Martin Handeland
From: Ole Martin Handeland @ 2004-10-21 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

sending this again, since im still having problems...

  well... here comes my "iptables -nvL":

Chain INPUT (policy DROP 980 packets, 127K bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
  2061  408K ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:10000
15955 1602K ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:22
   853  111K ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:80
   991  150K ACCEPT     udp  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0           udp dpts:137:138
  271K   37M ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:139
     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:445
     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:8080
     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:443
     0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0           udp dpt:443
67131 3090K ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpts:5900:5902
     0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0
  2416  167K LOG_DROP   all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0

and for my forward and output chains, there is no rules...

thank you so much for your answers!

Ray Olszewski wrote:

 > At 12:29 PM 10/17/2004 +0200, Ole Martin Handeland wrote:
 >
 >> Hi,
 >>
 >> I cant seem to get internet access on my gateway machine, using fc2 and
 >> iptables firewall. I have a eth0 connection (and a ppp0 connection using
 >> eth0 to connect to my adsl provider) and a eth1 connection which i use
 >> to connect to my local network (with a dhcp server on this gateway).
 >>
 >> i have gotten this gateway to connect to the net, and the network from
 >> eth1 gets internet access. my problem is that my gateway dont get net
 >> access itself. when i set default action to allow in my iptable,
 >> everything works.
 >> anyone knows which rule(s) i should apply to get internet access working
 >> on this gateway?
 >

 > The core problem you face is that different chains, not just
different rules, are involved.

 > When other hosts on your LAN use this gateway to connect to the
Internet, the packets are processed by the FORWARD chain in the default
table (and by the  PREROUTING and POSTROUTING chains in the nat table).

 > When the host itself tries to connect to the Internet, the packets
are processed by the INPUT and OUTPUT chains in the default table.

 > So ... if "everything works" when you set the default action to
ACCEPT (there is no action "allow", so I assume you mean ACCEPT), then
it probably means you do not have specific ACCEPT rules in suitable
places in the INPUT and OUTPUT chains. That's not odd for a router ...
mine is set up that way, allowing direct access for only a few things
the router absolutely needs, like DNS resolution. But it is inconvenient
for a general-purpose host that is also acting as a router.

 > The exact rules you need to add, and where you need to add them,
depends on what you do have in the INPUT and OUTPUT chains (which you
can check best with "iptables -nvL"). If you want finer control than a
genrealized ACCEPT policy, the actual rules need to be tailored to what
you want to allow, what to disallow, and you haven't told us your
situation in that regard.

 > Describe more what you want to accomplish, and tell us the rules you
currently have in the INPUT and OUTPUT chains, and I -- or someone here
-- may be able to give you more specific advice that fits your needs. As
it is, anything anybody suggests will be guesswork.

 > Oh, one final thing. Since you are using PPPoE for your Internet
connection, iptables does need to know to update its ruleset after PPPoE
negotiation is complete. It also needs to know that ppp0, not eth0, is
your external interface. It probably does all of this, since NATing the
LAN works, but it is always *possible* that you have a problem there.
Once again, only examination of the rulesets in the relevant
tables/chains will tell.

-

* Re: Cant get internet access on my router (sent again)
@ 2004-10-21 21:16 ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2004-10-21 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 08:59 PM 10/21/2004 +0200, Ole Martin Handeland wrote:

>sending this again, since im still having problems...

I'm sorry, but to get real help, you need to answer ALL of the questions,
not just some of them.

The list below of INPUT chain rules has entries ONLY for an eth1 interface,
which you have not previously mentioned (but which I will guess is your LAN
interface). For that reason, it wil DROP all packets intended for a ppp0
interface. (Notice that its final rule, a DROP rule, has matched a lot of
packets.)

Since you have no entries in the OUTPUT chain and (you previously said) its
default policy is DROP, no traffic will go out on ANY interface.

And if you have no entries in the FORWARD chain and its policy too is DROP
... well, you get the idea.

OK, this time around we need to know --

         1. How do you update your firewall ruleset when the PPPoE (ppp0)
interface is set up (or when it gets a new address)? The PPPoE daemon
probably calls a script for this, but you need to tell us the details, so
we can figure out why it (apparently) isn't working.

         2. Am I correct in assuming that you are NATing the LAN? If so,
the nat table (probably its POSTROUTING chain) is doing the SNAT or MASQ
needed. What does
         iptables -nvL -t nat
report about this? (This is probably OK, if your prior report that setting
the default-table policies to ACCEPT makes "everything" work.)

         3. More generally, what script is setting these rules up in the
firat place? Are you using some routing capability that comes as part of
FC2? Or are you using a drop-in firewall/router package of some sort (like
Shorewall -- though it is plain from the ruleset that you are not using
Shorewall, so I mention it only as an example)? Or did you craft something
yourself?

         4. What actual failures are you encountering? "im still having
problems" is on the vague end of descriptions.

         5. How do you *want* this router to operate? Just using default
ACCEPT policies isn't really very good firewalling ... but in practice, it
isn't usually all that vulnerable, since most breakins target Windows, not
Linux, and the NATing makes the Windows machines invisible to connections
that initiate from outside.

> [...]
> genrealized ACCEPT policy, the actual rules need to be tailored to what
> you want to allow, what to disallow, and you haven't told us your
> situation in that regard.
> >
> > Describe more what you want to accomplish, and tell us the rules you
> currently have in the INPUT and OUTPUT chains, and I -- or someone here
> -- may be able to give you more specific advice that fits your needs. As
> it is, anything anybody suggests will be guesswork.
> >
> > Oh, one final thing. Since you are using PPPoE for your Internet
> connection, iptables does need to know to update its ruleset after PPPoE
> negotiation is complete. It also needs to know that ppp0, not eth0, is
> your external interface. It probably does all of this, since NATing the
> LAN works, but it is always *possible* that you have a problem there.
> Once again, only examination of the rulesets in the relevant

-

* Re: Cant get internet access on my router (sent again)
@ 2004-10-22 22:34   ` Ole Martin Handeland
From: Ole Martin Handeland @ 2004-10-22 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

well... i figured it out myself.... did a accept all from ppp0....

pretty embarrased...:P

thanx anyway!

-