* chassis power status seems to not be changed when type command to shutdown OS
@ 2019-08-22 10:00 Andrew MS1 Peng
From: Andrew MS1 Peng @ 2019-08-22 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hi Team,

When I executed command "poweroff" or "shutdown -h" in Host OS, the chassis power status seems to not be changed. Is there any package could support update power status for this situation?

Thanks,
Andrew

* Re: chassis power status seems to not be changed when type command to shutdown OS
@ 2019-08-22 15:46 ` Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2019-08-22 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew MS1 Peng; +Cc: openbmc

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 5:01 AM Andrew MS1 Peng <pengms1@lenovo.com> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> When I executed command "poweroff" or "shutdown -h" in Host OS, the chassis power status seems to not be changed. Is there any package could support update power status for this situation?

Sounds like your host is not sending the inband IPMI message to
the BMC to turn off the chassis once it completes the shutdown?

@ 2019-08-28 21:29   ` Oskar Senft
From: Oskar Senft @ 2019-08-28 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Geissler; +Cc: Andrew MS1 Peng, openbmc

There's also quite a bit of infrastructure on the OpenBMC side that needs
to be running to be able for the BMC to actually power on / off the host.

Can you power-on / off the host using "ipmitool power on" / "off" from the
BMC? If that works, then the host should be able to do the same.

Oskar.

@ 2019-10-07 14:53     ` Zheng Bao
From: Zheng Bao @ 2019-10-07 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oskar Senft, Andrew Geissler; +Cc: Andrew MS1 Peng, openbmc

How does the "ipmitool power on/off"  do to power on/off the host? I assume it need to trigger the power
button connected to BMC gpio, right? But I am not quite sure about the path which the message goes from ipmitool
to gpio.

What I have got:
1. The gpio defined in machine layer, gpio_defs.json, which is handled by obmc-libobmc-intf.
2. obmc-libobmc-intf is part of "skeleton“.
    The decription of skeleton on github says "Area for initial design & reference code. Will be replaced with proper implementation and design docs. " What does it mean?

Am I on track? Is power on/off gpio handled by skeleton? Thanks.

Can any big boy give some hint? Thanks.

Zheng

________________________________

@ 2019-10-07 15:18       ` Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2019-10-07 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zheng Bao; +Cc: Oskar Senft, Andrew MS1 Peng, openbmc

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 9:53 AM Zheng Bao <fishbaoz@hotmail.com> wrote:

> How does the "ipmitool power on/off"  do to power on/off the host? I assume it need to trigger the power
> button connected to BMC gpio, right? But I am not quite sure about the path which the message goes from ipmitool
> to gpio.
>
> What I have got:
> 1. The gpio defined in machine layer, gpio_defs.json, which is handled by obmc-libobmc-intf.
> 2. obmc-libobmc-intf is part of "skeleton“.
>     The decription of skeleton on github says "Area for initial design & reference code. Will be replaced with proper implementation and design docs. " What does it mean?
>
> Am I on track? Is power on/off gpio handled by skeleton? Thanks.

The out of band and inband path goes through this code:
https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-host-ipmid/blob/master/chassishandler.cpp#L1120

You can follow it to see how the power off occurs. But basically the code uses
phosphor-state-manager interfaces to request the power off which then
runs the appropriate systemd targets.

I think the power button code goes through a similar path of using
phosphor-state-manager systemd targets but is not required for
IPMI interfaces to work.