* Elantech touchpad not working on mainline kernels
@ 2021-05-30  9:02 Hans Schultz
From: Hans Schultz @ 2021-05-30  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-input

Hello,
I have a problem getting my Elantech touchpad to work with the mainline
kernels, and I need some assistance with the code to resolve the
problem.
The kernels that have tried are 5.9.11 and 5.11.11.

With boot parameters i8042.notimeout i8042.nomux, the touchpad is
detected but does not work. There is absolutely no response from it
with any hid modules loaded.

It is reported and seen working on a Lubuntu distro (bionic kernel)
when inserting the i2c_hid module. The insertion of the i2c_hid module
pulls in the hid_multitouch module when it works, no boot parameters
necessary.
In the case where it does not work, insering the i2c_hid module does
not pull in the hid_multitouch module.

I have the bionic kernel code, but I have not as of yet been able to
detect what makes it work in contrast to the kernel.org kernels.

This I think should lead to a kernel patch.

TIA,
Hans Schultz

* Re: Elantech touchpad not working on mainline kernels
@ 2021-07-21 17:48 ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2021-07-21 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Schultz; +Cc: linux-input

Hi Hans,

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 2:12 AM Hans Schultz <hans.schultz@webspeed.dk> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a problem getting my Elantech touchpad to work with the mainline
> kernels, and I need some assistance with the code to resolve the
> problem.
> The kernels that have tried are 5.9.11 and 5.11.11.
>
> With boot parameters i8042.notimeout i8042.nomux, the touchpad is
> detected but does not work. There is absolutely no response from it
> with any hid modules loaded.
>
> It is reported and seen working on a Lubuntu distro (bionic kernel)
> when inserting the i2c_hid module. The insertion of the i2c_hid module
> pulls in the hid_multitouch module when it works, no boot parameters
> necessary.
> In the case where it does not work, insering the i2c_hid module does
> not pull in the hid_multitouch module.
>
> I have the bionic kernel code, but I have not as of yet been able to
> detect what makes it work in contrast to the kernel.org kernels.
>
> This I think should lead to a kernel patch.

There is not much to go on with. What is the hardware, your kernel
.config, dmesg from unsuccessful boot? If you have logs from the
working kernel that would help too.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry

* Re: Elantech touchpad not working on mainline kernels
@ 2021-07-21 18:07   ` Hans Schultz
From: Hans Schultz @ 2021-07-21 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

On Wed, 2021-07-21 at 10:48 -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 2:12 AM Hans Schultz <
> hans.schultz@webspeed.dk> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I have a problem getting my Elantech touchpad to work with the
> > mainline
> > kernels, and I need some assistance with the code to resolve the
> > problem.
> > The kernels that have tried are 5.9.11 and 5.11.11.
> >
> > With boot parameters i8042.notimeout i8042.nomux, the touchpad is
> > detected but does not work. There is absolutely no response from it
> > with any hid modules loaded.
> >
> > It is reported and seen working on a Lubuntu distro (bionic kernel)
> > when inserting the i2c_hid module. The insertion of the i2c_hid
> > module
> > pulls in the hid_multitouch module when it works, no boot parameters
> > necessary.
> > In the case where it does not work, insering the i2c_hid module does
> > not pull in the hid_multitouch module.
> >
> > I have the bionic kernel code, but I have not as of yet been able to
> > detect what makes it work in contrast to the kernel.org kernels.
> >
> > This I think should lead to a kernel patch.
>
> There is not much to go on with. What is the hardware, your kernel
> .config, dmesg from unsuccessful boot? If you have logs from the
> working kernel that would help too.
>
> Thanks.

The best info I have on the hardware is from Xorg log with the working
Lubuntu kernel:
[ 130.980] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so
[ 130.982] (II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 130.982] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for '0X45 0X4C 0X41 0:00
04F3:308C Touchpad'

I might be able to get the kernel messages when inserting the working
module, but I think it will not tell much more.
To me it is clearly a code issue as the working kernel pulls in
hid_multitouch when inserting i2c_hid, while the non-working does not.

All kernels I have tried up to now from kernel.org do not work. The
latest being 5.13.4.

* Re: Elantech touchpad not working on mainline kernels
@ 2021-07-21 19:14     ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2021-07-21 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Schultz; +Cc: linux-input

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 11:09 AM Hans Schultz <hans.schultz@webspeed.dk> wrote:

> On Wed, 2021-07-21 at 10:48 -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 2:12 AM Hans Schultz <
> > hans.schultz@webspeed.dk> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > > I have a problem getting my Elantech touchpad to work with the
> > > mainline
> > > kernels, and I need some assistance with the code to resolve the
> > > problem.
> > > The kernels that have tried are 5.9.11 and 5.11.11.
> > >
> > > With boot parameters i8042.notimeout i8042.nomux, the touchpad is
> > > detected but does not work. There is absolutely no response from it
> > > with any hid modules loaded.
> > >
> > > It is reported and seen working on a Lubuntu distro (bionic kernel)
> > > when inserting the i2c_hid module. The insertion of the i2c_hid
> > > module
> > > pulls in the hid_multitouch module when it works, no boot parameters
> > > necessary.
> > > In the case where it does not work, insering the i2c_hid module does
> > > not pull in the hid_multitouch module.
> > >
> > > I have the bionic kernel code, but I have not as of yet been able to
> > > detect what makes it work in contrast to the kernel.org kernels.
> > >
> > > This I think should lead to a kernel patch.
> >
> > There is not much to go on with. What is the hardware, your kernel
> > .config, dmesg from unsuccessful boot? If you have logs from the
> > working kernel that would help too.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> The best info I have on the hardware is from Xorg log with the working
> Lubuntu kernel:
> [ 130.980] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so
> [ 130.982] (II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> [ 130.982] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for '0X45 0X4C 0X41 0:00
> 04F3:308C Touchpad'
>
> I might be able to get the kernel messages when inserting the working
> module, but I think it will not tell much more.

OK, if you say so. Then the only suggestion I have is to verify that
your kernel config enables all necessary options for your hardware.
I'd double check if you have Designware I2C controller enabled, ACPI
LPSS, etc.

> To me it is clearly a code issue as the working kernel pulls in
> hid_multitouch when inserting i2c_hid, while the non-working does not.
>
> All kernels I have tried up to now from kernel.org do not work. The
> latest being 5.13.4.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry

* Re: Elantech touchpad not working on mainline kernels
@ 2021-07-21 19:31       ` Hans Schultz
From: Hans Schultz @ 2021-07-21 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

Hi Dmitry,

On Wed, 2021-07-21 at 12:14 -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 11:09 AM Hans Schultz <
> hans.schultz@webspeed.dk> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2021-07-21 at 10:48 -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > > Hi Hans,

> > > There is not much to go on with. What is the hardware, your kernel
> > > .config, dmesg from unsuccessful boot? If you have logs from the
> > > working kernel that would help too.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > The best info I have on the hardware is from Xorg log with the
> > working
> > Lubuntu kernel:
> > [ 130.980] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so
> > [ 130.982] (II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> > [ 130.982] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for '0X45 0X4C 0X41
> > 0:00
> > 04F3:308C Touchpad'
> >
> > I might be able to get the kernel messages when inserting the working
> > module, but I think it will not tell much more.
>
> OK, if you say so. Then the only suggestion I have is to verify that
> your kernel config enables all necessary options for your hardware.
> I'd double check if you have Designware I2C controller enabled, ACPI
> LPSS, etc.
>
> > To me it is clearly a code issue as the working kernel pulls in
> > hid_multitouch when inserting i2c_hid, while the non-working does
> > not.
> >
> > All kernels I have tried up to now from kernel.org do not work. The
> > latest being 5.13.4.
>
> Thanks.

I have a thread with all the dmesg info for both the working and non-
working cases here :
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/issues/544

Benjamin has also asked for the acpidump info, which is there. (funny
as the responses to my problem come at the same time after a long time.
:-) )

I will check my .config...

Thanks,
Hans

* Re: Elantech touchpad not working on mainline kernels
@ 2021-07-21 19:51         ` Hans Schultz
From: Hans Schultz @ 2021-07-21 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

On Wed, 2021-07-21 at 21:31 +0200, Hans Schultz wrote:
> Hi Dmitry,
>
> On Wed, 2021-07-21 at 12:14 -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 11:09 AM Hans Schultz <
> > hans.schultz@webspeed.dk> wrote:

> > > The best info I have on the hardware is from Xorg log with the
> > > working
> > > Lubuntu kernel:
> > > [ 130.980] (II) Loading
> > > /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so
> > > [ 130.982] (II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> > > [ 130.982] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for '0X45 0X4C
> > > 0X41
> > > 0:00
> > > 04F3:308C Touchpad'
> > >
> > > I might be able to get the kernel messages when inserting the
> > > working
> > > module, but I think it will not tell much more.
> >
> > OK, if you say so. Then the only suggestion I have is to verify
> > that
> > your kernel config enables all necessary options for your hardware.
> > I'd double check if you have Designware I2C controller enabled,
> > ACPI
> > LPSS, etc.
> >
> > > To me it is clearly a code issue as the working kernel pulls in
> > > hid_multitouch when inserting i2c_hid, while the non-working does
> > > not.
> > >
> > > All kernels I have tried up to now from kernel.org do not work.
> > > The
> > > latest being 5.13.4.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> I have a thread with all the dmesg info for both the working and non-
> working cases here :
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/issues/544
>
> Benjamin has also asked for the acpidump info, which is there. (funny
> as the responses to my problem come at the same time after a long
> time.
> :-) )
>
> I will check my .config...
>
> Thanks,
> Hans

Here are my I2C kernel settings. I only added what I could see as with
Intel hw, so no Designware!

#
# I2C support
#
CONFIG_I2C=y
CONFIG_ACPI_I2C_OPREGION=y
CONFIG_I2C_BOARDINFO=y
CONFIG_I2C_COMPAT=y
CONFIG_I2C_CHARDEV=y
CONFIG_I2C_MUX=m

#
# Multiplexer I2C Chip support
#
CONFIG_I2C_MUX_GPIO=m
CONFIG_I2C_MUX_LTC4306=m
CONFIG_I2C_MUX_PCA9541=m
CONFIG_I2C_MUX_PCA954x=m
CONFIG_I2C_MUX_REG=m
CONFIG_I2C_MUX_MLXCPLD=m
# end of Multiplexer I2C Chip support

CONFIG_I2C_HELPER_AUTO=y
CONFIG_I2C_SMBUS=m
CONFIG_I2C_ALGOBIT=y

#
# I2C Hardware Bus support
#

#
# PC SMBus host controller drivers
#
# CONFIG_I2C_ALI1535 is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_ALI1563 is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_ALI15X3 is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_AMD756 is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_AMD8111 is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_AMD_MP2 is not set
CONFIG_I2C_I801=m
CONFIG_I2C_ISCH=m
CONFIG_I2C_ISMT=m
CONFIG_I2C_PIIX4=m
# CONFIG_I2C_NFORCE2 is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_NVIDIA_GPU is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_SIS5595 is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_SIS630 is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_SIS96X is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_VIA is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_VIAPRO is not set

#
# ACPI drivers
#
# CONFIG_I2C_SCMI is not set

#
# I2C system bus drivers (mostly embedded / system-on-chip)
#
# CONFIG_I2C_CBUS_GPIO is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_DESIGNWARE_PLATFORM is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_DESIGNWARE_PCI is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_EMEV2 is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_GPIO is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_OCORES is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_PCA_PLATFORM is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_SIMTEC is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_XILINX is not set

#
# External I2C/SMBus adapter drivers
#
# CONFIG_I2C_DIOLAN_U2C is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_CP2615 is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_ROBOTFUZZ_OSIF is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_TAOS_EVM is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_TINY_USB is not set

#
# Other I2C/SMBus bus drivers
#
# CONFIG_I2C_MLXCPLD is not set
# end of I2C Hardware Bus support

# CONFIG_I2C_STUB is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_SLAVE is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_DEBUG_CORE is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_DEBUG_ALGO is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_DEBUG_BUS is not set
# end of I2C support

* Re: Elantech touchpad not working on mainline kernels
@ 2021-07-21 20:16           ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2021-07-21 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Schultz; +Cc: linux-input, Benjamin Tissoires

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 12:53 PM Hans Schultz <hans.schultz@webspeed.dk> wrote:

> On Wed, 2021-07-21 at 21:31 +0200, Hans Schultz wrote:
> > Hi Dmitry,
> >
> > On Wed, 2021-07-21 at 12:14 -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> > > OK, if you say so. Then the only suggestion I have is to verify
> > > that
> > > your kernel config enables all necessary options for your hardware.
> > > I'd double check if you have Designware I2C controller enabled,
> > > ACPI
> > > LPSS, etc.

> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > I have a thread with all the dmesg info for both the working and non-
> > working cases here :
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/issues/544
> >
> > Benjamin has also asked for the acpidump info, which is there. (funny
> > as the responses to my problem come at the same time after a long
> > time.
> > :-) )
> >
> > I will check my .config...
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Hans
>
> Here are my I2C kernel settings. I only added what I could see as with
> Intel hw, so no Designware!

However if you consult the dmesg from the working kernel you will observe:

[   79.964148] input: 0X45 0X4C 0X41 0:00 04F3:308C Mouse as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.3/i2c_designware.1/i2c-8/i2c-0X45 0X4C
0X41 0:00/0018:04F3:308C.0002/input/input24
[   79.964222] input: 0X45 0X4C 0X41 0:00 04F3:308C Touchpad as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.3/i2c_designware.1/i2c-8/i2c-0X45 0X4C
0X41 0:00/0018:04F3:308C.0002/input/input26

so it clearly uses designware-compatible IP block even though it is an
Intel system.

Can you try grabbing config from the working kernel and use it if you
want to compile your own? There are a lot of hardware dependencies in
modern systems that may not be immediately obvious.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry

* Re: Elantech touchpad not working on mainline kernels
@ 2021-07-22  7:55             ` Benjamin Tissoires
From: Benjamin Tissoires @ 2021-07-22  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: Hans Schultz, linux-input, Benjamin Tissoires

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 10:42 PM Dmitry Torokhov
<dmitry.torokhov@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 12:53 PM Hans Schultz <hans.schultz@webspeed.dk> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2021-07-21 at 21:31 +0200, Hans Schultz wrote:
> > > Hi Dmitry,

> > > I have a thread with all the dmesg info for both the working and non-
> > > working cases here :
> > > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/issues/544
> > >
> > > Benjamin has also asked for the acpidump info, which is there. (funny
> > > as the responses to my problem come at the same time after a long
> > > time.
> > > :-) )
> > >
> > > I will check my .config...
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Hans
> >
> > Here are my I2C kernel settings. I only added what I could see as with
> > Intel hw, so no Designware!
>
> However if you consult the dmesg from the working kernel you will observe:
>
> [   79.964148] input: 0X45 0X4C 0X41 0:00 04F3:308C Mouse as
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.3/i2c_designware.1/i2c-8/i2c-0X45 0X4C
> 0X41 0:00/0018:04F3:308C.0002/input/input24
> [   79.964222] input: 0X45 0X4C 0X41 0:00 04F3:308C Touchpad as
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.3/i2c_designware.1/i2c-8/i2c-0X45 0X4C
> 0X41 0:00/0018:04F3:308C.0002/input/input26
>
> so it clearly uses designware-compatible IP block even though it is an
> Intel system.

FWIW, I think Intel platform *always* rely on designware for the I2C
adapter implementation. So if you haven't enabled that driver there is
no chance for you to have a working touchpad.

Cheers,
Benjamin

@ 2021-07-22  8:45               ` Hans Schultz
From: Hans Schultz @ 2021-07-22  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Tissoires, Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input, Benjamin Tissoires

On Thu, 2021-07-22 at 09:55 +0200, Benjamin Tissoires wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 10:42 PM Dmitry Torokhov
> <dmitry.torokhov@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 12:53 PM Hans Schultz <
> > hans.schultz@webspeed.dk> wrote:

> > > Here are my I2C kernel settings. I only added what I could see as
> > > with
> > > Intel hw, so no Designware!
> >
> > However if you consult the dmesg from the working kernel you will
> > observe:
> >
> > [   79.964148] input: 0X45 0X4C 0X41 0:00 04F3:308C Mouse as
> > /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.3/i2c_designware.1/i2c-8/i2c-0X45
> > 0X4C
> > 0X41 0:00/0018:04F3:308C.0002/input/input24
> > [   79.964222] input: 0X45 0X4C 0X41 0:00 04F3:308C Touchpad as
> > /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.3/i2c_designware.1/i2c-8/i2c-0X45
> > 0X4C
> > 0X41 0:00/0018:04F3:308C.0002/input/input26
> >
> > so it clearly uses designware-compatible IP block even though it is
> > an
> > Intel system.
>
> FWIW, I think Intel platform *always* rely on designware for the I2C
> adapter implementation. So if you haven't enabled that driver there
> is
> no chance for you to have a working touchpad.
>
> Cheers,
> Benjamin
>

> > Can you try grabbing config from the working kernel and use it if
> > you
> > want to compile your own? There are a lot of hardware dependencies
> > in
> > modern systems that may not be immediately obvious.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Dmitry

I have now tried taking the kernel config from the working example and
building a 5.13.4 kernel based on that, but it still does not work.

My original approach was assuming that the Lubuntu kernel was module
based, which they normally are to be flexible, and checking module for
module what I had of modules in my kernel build and the module list
from the Lubuntu kernel.

The designware part in the Lubuntu kernel it shows was not included as
a module but was in the kernel bin. Adding the designware parts to my
kernel did not resolve the issue either.

Still inserting i2c_hid does not pull in hid_multitouch.

Is there code differences that Ubuntu have made to their kernel that
can explain this? I have been looking through the code and there is
definitely differences, f.ex. in the quirks department.

* Re: Elantech touchpad not working on mainline kernels
@ 2021-07-23  7:45             ` Hans Schultz
From: Hans Schultz @ 2021-07-23  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input, Benjamin Tissoires

On Wed, 2021-07-21 at 13:16 -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 12:53 PM Hans Schultz <
> hans.schultz@webspeed.dk> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2021-07-21 at 21:31 +0200, Hans Schultz wrote:
> > > Hi Dmitry,

> > > I have a thread with all the dmesg info for both the working and
> > > non-
> > > working cases here :
> > > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/issues/544
> > >
> > > Benjamin has also asked for the acpidump info, which is there.
> > > (funny
> > > as the responses to my problem come at the same time after a long
> > > time.
> > > :-) )
> > >
> > > I will check my .config...
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Hans
> >
> > Here are my I2C kernel settings. I only added what I could see as
> > with
> > Intel hw, so no Designware!
>
> However if you consult the dmesg from the working kernel you will
> observe:
>
> [   79.964148] input: 0X45 0X4C 0X41 0:00 04F3:308C Mouse as
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.3/i2c_designware.1/i2c-8/i2c-0X45 0X4C
> 0X41 0:00/0018:04F3:308C.0002/input/input24
> [   79.964222] input: 0X45 0X4C 0X41 0:00 04F3:308C Touchpad as
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.3/i2c_designware.1/i2c-8/i2c-0X45 0X4C
> 0X41 0:00/0018:04F3:308C.0002/input/input26
>
> so it clearly uses designware-compatible IP block even though it is
> an
> Intel system.
>
> Can you try grabbing config from the working kernel and use it if you
> want to compile your own? There are a lot of hardware dependencies in
> modern systems that may not be immediately obvious.
>
> Thanks.

I found some more designware under PWM (pulse width modulation), when
checking for LPSS. I also see some hotplug ACPI that I have not
enabled, is there other configurations that must be considered?