* man5/core.5 Piping core dumps to a program: ulimit -c restrictions does not apply when using pipe
@ 2017-10-09 15:22 Per Böhlin
       [not found] ` <d0d944e3f79246c28100f1d7fe042d7e-MFMeSrSslgZWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
From: Per Böhlin @ 2017-10-09 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w; +Cc: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

The man page for coredumps:
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/core.5.html

In section: Piping core dumps to a program
should probably have a bullet explaining that the size limit imposed by ulimit -c does not apply when using the pipe-mechanism.

Thanks,

Per Böhlin
Chief Architect QA Frameworks & Tools
Engineering Services

Zenterio AB
Diskettgatan 11B
583 35 Linköping

M: +46 (0) 707895827
E: per.bohlin-MFMeSrSslgZWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org

www.zenterio.com

* Re: man5/core.5 Piping core dumps to a program: ulimit -c restrictions does not apply when using pipe
       [not found] ` <d0d944e3f79246c28100f1d7fe042d7e-MFMeSrSslgZWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-09 20:29   ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2017-10-09 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Böhlin
  Cc: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hello Per,

On 10/09/2017 05:22 PM, Per Böhlin wrote:
> The man page for coredumps:
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/core.5.html
>
> In section: Piping core dumps to a program
> should probably have a bullet explaining that the size limit > imposed by ulimit -c does not apply when using the> pipe-mechanism.

Thanks. From my reading of the kernel source, I agree.
I added the following text to the page:

       *  The RLIMIT_CORE limit is not enforced for core dumps  that  are
          piped to a program via this mechanism.

Cheers,

Michael

--