* The address displayed by ldd
@ 2005-03-12 15:12 gan_xiao_jun
From: gan_xiao_jun @ 2005-03-12 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I have a small question,
I am not sure if it belongs to kernel.
I often use ldd to find librarys needed.
In some systems,the address display by ldd not
changes,
But in other systems, it changes.

What is the reason of the difference?
Is it cause by some setting in kernel?

Thanks in advance.
gan

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

* Re: The address displayed by ldd
@ 2005-03-13  0:19 ` Kevin Puetz
From: Kevin Puetz @ 2005-03-13  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

It's the load address of the library, and it's basically not meant to be a
stable value. It will at least depend on the load order and size of the
libraries, and it may in fact be intentionally randomized each run as a
security measure against ret2libc type attacks (PaX, execshield, etc all do
this, as does prelink everytime it re-prelinks libraries). It's entirely
plausible for it to change from run to run, much less machine to machine.