* [dm-crypt] Two questions
@ 2019-11-13 15:15 mgreger
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: mgreger @ 2019-11-13 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'dm-crypt@saout.de'

	1) Should it be possible to use a detached header and --integrity
options to cryptsetup at the same time? When I try, I get a message
'No integrity superblock detected on header.'

	2) Are there security implications of using a single detached header
with multiple encrypted volumes?
Thanks

* Re: [dm-crypt] Two questions
@ 2019-11-13 18:42 mgreger
From: mgreger @ 2019-11-13 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'dm-crypt@saout.de'

	From Michael Kjörling:

	> Yes; it implies that the two volumes are encrypted using the same
master key (as well as being accessible using the same set of
passphrases), _and_ it makes it obvious that this is the case.

	(Assume any detached header is absent)

	 Obvious by inspecting the raw encrypted drives? My concern is
salt/iv reuse for same sector #'s on multiple drives leading to
information leakage.

	For example let's say two encrypted drives were mirrored. Using the
same master key would make it obvious they are mirrored, but no
additional information is leaked (other than that they are in fact
copies of each other). But more complex scenarios exist: RAID, LVM2
headers, etc. Those other scenarios are the ones I am curious about.

* Re: [dm-crypt] Two questions
@ 2019-11-14  2:43 mgreger
From: mgreger @ 2019-11-14  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'dm-crypt@saout.de'

From Arno Wagner, Dr.:

	 > You may also have sectors in filesystems that are generally the
same  and that would be obvious.

	Thanks, that's what I was curious about.

	> The simple answer is: If you care, then do not do this.

That seems like good advice.

* Re: [dm-crypt] Two questions
@ 2019-11-14  2:45 mgreger
From: mgreger @ 2019-11-14  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)