* Need help with compiling kernel
@ 2021-02-27  9:41 Ankita Pareek
From: Ankita Pareek @ 2021-02-27  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Hello everyone!
I'm Ankita Pareek from India. I'm applying for Outreachy this year and I
would love to contribute to Linux Kernel.
I'm a newbie and thus started off with compiling my own kernel following
this tutorial -->
https://kernelnewbies.org/OutreachyfirstpatchSetup?action=show&redirect=OPWfirstpatchSetup
I'm able to successfully build and install the kernel on my native Ubuntu
20.04 and it also gets updated in the grub boot menu. But when I try to
boot into that newly compiled kernel it gets stuck at "*Loading initial
ramdisk ...*" and I'm not able to boot into it. Here are some things that I
tried to fix this problems -

   - I waited for almost 2-3 hours after that to boot into the new kernel
   but it still showed the same message.
   - Then I tried changing the 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX' parameter to 'debug'
   for checking the log messages but couldn't find any logs.
   -  Some answers on Google about this said that it was possibly because
   Secure boot was enabled so I tried compiling and booting by disabling
   Secure boot but still same problem exists.
   - Then I tried compiling the kernel on a VM and it was successful and I
   could boot into it. But the VM makes the system very slow and thus I wish
   to compile and run the kernel on my native Linux machine.

What could be the possible reason and fix for this problem? Can someone
please help me with this? I've been stuck on this for almost a week now so
any help would be really great!

Thanks

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Need help with compiling kernel
@ 2021-02-27 10:03 ` Vaishali Thakkar
From: Vaishali Thakkar @ 2021-02-27 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ankita Pareek; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 10:41 AM Ankita Pareek
<ankitapareek2000@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
> I'm Ankita Pareek from India. I'm applying for Outreachy this year and I would love to contribute to Linux Kernel.
> I'm a newbie and thus started off with compiling my own kernel following this tutorial --> https://kernelnewbies.org/OutreachyfirstpatchSetup?action=show&redirect=OPWfirstpatchSetup
> I'm able to successfully build and install the kernel on my native Ubuntu 20.04 and it also gets updated in the grub boot menu. But when I try to boot into that newly compiled kernel it gets stuck at "Loading initial ramdisk ..." and I'm not able to boot into it. Here are some things that I tried to fix this problems -
>
> I waited for almost 2-3 hours after that to boot into the new kernel but it still showed the same message.
> Then I tried changing the 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX' parameter to 'debug' for checking the log messages but couldn't find any logs.
>  Some answers on Google about this said that it was possibly because Secure boot was enabled so I tried compiling and booting by disabling Secure boot but still same problem exists.
> Then I tried compiling the kernel on a VM and it was successful and I could boot into it. But the VM makes the system very slow and thus I wish to compile and run the kernel on my native Linux machine.
>
> What could be the possible reason and fix for this problem? Can someone please help me with this? I've been stuck on this for almost a week now so any help would be really great!

Hi Ankita,

It's strange that you have been able to boot itto same kernel[I assume] in VM
but not on your machine. Probably something went wrong while installing
the modules on your machine. Which rc version did you try to install?

I'm free for few hours right now. If you can come on IRC, we can try to
debug the problem. I'm 'vaishali' on both freenode and OFTC. Just ping
me there.

> Thanks

Vaishali

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Need help with compiling kernel
@ 2021-04-05 14:41   ` Mo Jauhar
From: Mo Jauhar @ 2021-04-05 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel