* [Qemu-devel] DragonFly BSD support
@ 2017-06-14 10:55 Antonio Huete Jiménez
From: Antonio Huete Jiménez @ 2017-06-14 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: peter.maydell

Hi all,

According to 2.9 changelog page, DragonFly BSD will be listed as
unsupported with the possibility of dropping support completely in the
future:

http://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/2.9

I'd like to volunteer so that qemu can keep DragonFly BSD as a
supported platform.
Could you please let me know the requirements needed to do so?

Best regards,
Antonio Huete

* Re: [Qemu-devel] DragonFly BSD support
@ 2017-06-14 17:50 ` Kamil Rytarowski
From: Kamil Rytarowski @ 2017-06-14 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Huete Jiménez, qemu-devel; +Cc: peter.maydell

On 14.06.2017 12:55, Antonio Huete Jiménez wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> According to 2.9 changelog page, DragonFly BSD will be listed as
> unsupported with the possibility of dropping support completely in the
> future:
>
> http://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/2.9
>
> I'd like to volunteer so that qemu can keep DragonFly BSD as a supported
> platform.
> Could you please let me know the requirements needed to do so?
>
> Best regards,
> Antonio Huete

Are there any local patches for qemu in your ports tree?

Please add yourself to MAINTAINERS and set DragonFly as maintained in
"configure".

There is an option to establish a BSD pull-request queue (as a public
group on GitHub?) and share it for BSD-specific patches. I work on
NetBSD and we still need someone at least for FreeBSD/OpenBSD.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] DragonFly BSD support
@ 2017-06-15 10:15 ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2017-06-15 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Huete Jiménez; +Cc: QEMU Developers

On 14 June 2017 at 11:55, Antonio Huete Jiménez
<tuxillo@quantumachine.net> wrote:
> According to 2.9 changelog page, DragonFly BSD will be listed as unsupported
> with the possibility of dropping support completely in the future:
>
> http://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/2.9
>
> I'd like to volunteer so that qemu can keep DragonFly BSD as a supported
> platform.
> Could you please let me know the requirements needed to do so?

Thanks for volunteering!

So, what we need comes in two parts:
 (1) a machine we can use for our build tests (ie which I can have
an ssh account on; we may set up more formal continuous-integration
later). Since I don't know the BSDs somebody else needs to be
handling sysadmin work for it.
At a pinch, detailed instructions on how to set up a VM on
Linux running DragonFly BSD would do; we have those for some
of the BSDs here: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts/BSD

 (2) somebody who's prepared to list themselves as the maintainer
for the host OS, and respond to problems/patches relating to it.
In particular the first thing will be to ensure that QEMU actually
builds and passes 'make check' on this OS and submit any patches
needed to fix problems. If there are any non-upstream patches
lurking around in a ports system, then you'll also want to start
cleaning those up and getting them upstream.

When we get to the point where we have a machine in our
standard build-and-test setup which passes 'make && make check'
then we can drop the "this is unsupported" note from configure.

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] DragonFly BSD support
@ 2017-06-15 18:09   ` John Snow
From: John Snow @ 2017-06-15 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell, Antonio Huete Jiménez; +Cc: QEMU Developers

On 06/15/2017 06:15 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 14 June 2017 at 11:55, Antonio Huete Jiménez
> <tuxillo@quantumachine.net> wrote:
>> According to 2.9 changelog page, DragonFly BSD will be listed as unsupported
>> with the possibility of dropping support completely in the future:
>>
>> http://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/2.9
>>
>> I'd like to volunteer so that qemu can keep DragonFly BSD as a supported
>> platform.
>> Could you please let me know the requirements needed to do so?
>
> Thanks for volunteering!
>
> So, what we need comes in two parts:
>  (1) a machine we can use for our build tests (ie which I can have
> an ssh account on; we may set up more formal continuous-integration
> later). Since I don't know the BSDs somebody else needs to be
> handling sysadmin work for it.
> At a pinch, detailed instructions on how to set up a VM on
> Linux running DragonFly BSD would do; we have those for some
> of the BSDs here: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts/BSD
>
>  (2) somebody who's prepared to list themselves as the maintainer
> for the host OS, and respond to problems/patches relating to it.
> In particular the first thing will be to ensure that QEMU actually
> builds and passes 'make check' on this OS and submit any patches
> needed to fix problems. If there are any non-upstream patches
> lurking around in a ports system, then you'll also want to start
> cleaning those up and getting them upstream.
>
> When we get to the point where we have a machine in our
> standard build-and-test setup which passes 'make && make check'
> then we can drop the "this is unsupported" note from configure.
>
> thanks
> -- PMM

Peter, do we have a wiki page detailing what it takes to get an
operating system considered "supported" with hints and tips for
prospective maintainers?

Perhaps we could and include a link to the deprecation warnings.

(Then again, how many times will this be useful again in the future? How
many operating systems could there be that care about QEMU? ...)

--js

* Re: [Qemu-devel] DragonFly BSD support
@ 2017-06-15 18:18     ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2017-06-15 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Snow; +Cc: Antonio Huete Jiménez, QEMU Developers

On 15 June 2017 at 19:09, John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> wrote:
> Peter, do we have a wiki page detailing what it takes to get an
> operating system considered "supported" with hints and tips for
> prospective maintainers?

We don't, but as you say there aren't that many cases where
it will come up in future, and one of the primary requirements
is "care enough to come and talk to us", so personally I'm
happy just dealing with this on the mailing list.

thanks
-- PMM