* trouble locating code that increments jiffies (arm)
@ 2011-05-11 13:22 chris at basementcode.com
From: chris at basementcode.com @ 2011-05-11 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

 Hi list,

 I've been looking for the code that increments the jiffies variable as
 well as the code that connects a timer interrupt to the function that
 increments the variable. I'm working with the ARM architecture in case
 that makes a difference. I was also wondering, how many jiffies are
 there? Right now I'm finding that if I disable the local timer for the
 boot CPU (during boot) the jiffies variable stop incrementing. I always
 assumed the global timer was supposed to increment a single jiffies
 variable. I'm working with an old, modified, version of QEMU so I'm
 leaning towards a QEMU bug for this problem.

 Thanks,
 -C

* trouble locating code that increments jiffies (arm)
@ 2011-05-11 19:13 ` Dave Hylands
From: Dave Hylands @ 2011-05-11 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Chris,

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 6:22 AM,  <chris@basementcode.com> wrote:
> ?Hi list,
>
> ?I've been looking for the code that increments the jiffies variable as
> ?well as the code that connects a timer interrupt to the function that
> ?increments the variable. I'm working with the ARM architecture in case
> ?that makes a difference. I was also wondering, how many jiffies are
> ?there? Right now I'm finding that if I disable the local timer for the
> ?boot CPU (during boot) the jiffies variable stop incrementing. I always
> ?assumed the global timer was supposed to increment a single jiffies
> ?variable. I'm working with an old, modified, version of QEMU so I'm
> ?leaning towards a QEMU bug for this problem.

It's updated here:
<http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.38/kernel/timer.c#L1304>

The machine description has a .timer entry, which points to a timer
initialization function. We use clock events, so it gets tied in
through there.

Sorry for being vague - I'm only mildly familiar with that particular code.

There is some documentation and background over here:
<http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.38/Documentation/timers/highres.txt>

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada