* [ANN] U-Boot v2021.01-rc2 released
@ 2020-11-09 22:21 Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2020-11-09 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hey all,

It's regular release day and I'm back on schedule, so here's -rc2.

There's a few small'ish things outstanding in my queue, and a queue of
things building up for -next already.  I'm going to try and make sure
what I pull in, even when a clean-up, is as close as can be to the
obviously correct side of things.  Yes, this should always be the case,
I'm just going to try and hold myself to expectations a bit harder.

In terms of a changelog,
git log --merges v2021.01-rc1..v2021.01-rc2
contains what I've pulled but as always, better PR messages and tags
will provide better results here.

I do have my reminders setup for doing -rc releases every other Monday
from here on out and final release on January 11th, 2021.  Thanks all!

--
Tom
> It's regular release day and I'm back on schedule, so here's -rc2.
>
> There's a few small'ish things outstanding in my queue, and a queue of
> things building up for -next already.  I'm going to try and make sure
> what I pull in, even when a clean-up, is as close as can be to the
> obviously correct side of things.  Yes, this should always be the case,
> I'm just going to try and hold myself to expectations a bit harder.
>
> In terms of a changelog,
> git log --merges v2021.01-rc1..v2021.01-rc2
> contains what I've pulled but as always, better PR messages and tags
> will provide better results here.
>
> I do have my reminders setup for doing -rc releases every other Monday
> from here on out and final release on January 11th, 2021.  Thanks all!

fdt.c is full of

scripts/dtc/libfdt/fdt.c: In function ?fdt_offset_ptr?:
scripts/dtc/libfdt/fdt.c:137:18: warning: comparison of integer
expressions of different signedness: ?unsigned int? and ?int?
[-Wsign-compare]
 137 |   if ((absoffset < offset)
     |                  ^

Is it known? Is fix available?

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

* [ANN] U-Boot v2021.01-rc2 released
@ 2020-11-10 10:41   ` Andy Shevchenko
From: Andy Shevchenko @ 2020-11-10 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 12:40 PM Andy Shevchenko
<andy.shevchenko@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 12:22 AM Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > It's regular release day and I'm back on schedule, so here's -rc2.
> >
> > There's a few small'ish things outstanding in my queue, and a queue of
> > things building up for -next already.  I'm going to try and make sure
> > what I pull in, even when a clean-up, is as close as can be to the
> > obviously correct side of things.  Yes, this should always be the case,
> > I'm just going to try and hold myself to expectations a bit harder.
> >
> > In terms of a changelog,
> > git log --merges v2021.01-rc1..v2021.01-rc2
> > contains what I've pulled but as always, better PR messages and tags
> > will provide better results here.
> >
> > I do have my reminders setup for doing -rc releases every other Monday
> > from here on out and final release on January 11th, 2021.  Thanks all!
>
> fdt.c is full of

Correction: all of fdt*.c are full of this kind of compiler warnings

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

* [ANN] U-Boot v2021.01-rc2 released
@ 2020-11-10 12:00     ` Heinrich Schuchardt
From: Heinrich Schuchardt @ 2020-11-10 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 11/10/20 11:41 AM, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 12:40 PM Andy Shevchenko
> <andy.shevchenko@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 12:22 AM Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> It's regular release day and I'm back on schedule, so here's -rc2.
>>>
>>> There's a few small'ish things outstanding in my queue, and a queue of
>>> things building up for -next already.  I'm going to try and make sure
>>> what I pull in, even when a clean-up, is as close as can be to the
>>> obviously correct side of things.  Yes, this should always be the case,
>>> I'm just going to try and hold myself to expectations a bit harder.
>>>
>>> In terms of a changelog,
>>> git log --merges v2021.01-rc1..v2021.01-rc2
>>> contains what I've pulled but as always, better PR messages and tags
>>> will provide better results here.
>>>
>>> I do have my reminders setup for doing -rc releases every other Monday
>>> from here on out and final release on January 11th, 2021.  Thanks all!
>>
>> fdt.c is full of
>
> Correction: all of fdt*.c are full of this kind of compiler warnings
>
>> scripts/dtc/libfdt/fdt.c: In function ?fdt_offset_ptr?:
>> scripts/dtc/libfdt/fdt.c:137:18: warning: comparison of integer
>> expressions of different signedness: ?unsigned int? and ?int?
>> [-Wsign-compare]
>>   137 |   if ((absoffset < offset)
>>       |                  ^
>>
>> Is it known? Is a fix available?

Yes adjust the integer types. Pease, send patches upstream.

Best regards

Heinrich

* [ANN] U-Boot v2021.01-rc2 released
@ 2020-11-10 12:16       ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2020-11-10 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 01:00:06PM +0100, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
> On 11/10/20 11:41 AM, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 12:40 PM Andy Shevchenko
> > <andy.shevchenko@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > fdt.c is full of
> >
> > Correction: all of fdt*.c are full of this kind of compiler warnings
> >
> > > scripts/dtc/libfdt/fdt.c: In function ?fdt_offset_ptr?:
> > > scripts/dtc/libfdt/fdt.c:137:18: warning: comparison of integer
> > > expressions of different signedness: ?unsigned int? and ?int?
> > > [-Wsign-compare]
> > >   137 |   if ((absoffset < offset)
> > >       |                  ^
> > >
> > > Is it known? Is a fix available?

With what compiler version?

> Yes adjust the integer types. Pease, send patches upstream.

This is probably what Andre posted patches for a few weeks ago, and in
turn got me to try and work with upstream dtc to come up with a way to
deal with the unaligned access safe default load functions that in turn
ruin boot times.

--
Tom
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 01:00:06PM +0100, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
>> On 11/10/20 11:41 AM, Andy Shevchenko wrote:

>>> Correction: all of fdt*.c are full of this kind of compiler warnings

> With what compiler version?

GCC 10.2

@ 2020-11-10 12:35           ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2020-11-10 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 01:18:41PM +0100, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
> On 11/10/20 1:16 PM, Tom Rini wrote:

> > With what compiler version?
>
> GCC 10.2

Fun.  Is that the only problem we see with GCC 10.2?  I'm tempted to say
post v2021.01 is when we move to 10.2 being default, assuming the
kernel.org toolchains get upgraded by then.  For now I guess I need to
grab
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch/20201016144250.29106-1-andre.przywara at arm.com/
rather than do a full re-sync.

--
Tom
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 01:18:41PM +0100, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:

> > > With what compiler version?
> >
> > GCC 10.2
>
> Fun.  Is that the only problem we see with GCC 10.2?  I'm tempted to say
> post v2021.01 is when we move to 10.2 being default, assuming the
> kernel.org toolchains get upgraded by then.  For now I guess I need to
> grab
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch/20201016144250.29106-1-andre.przywara at arm.com/
> rather than do a full re-sync.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Thanks!