* Migrating to the gitlab issue tracker
@ 2020-10-29 16:01 John Snow
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Snow @ 2020-10-29 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers
  Cc: Corey Minyard, Stefan Hajnoczi, Jeff Cody, Yuval Shaia,
	Markus Armbruster, KONRAD Frederic, Klaus Jensen, Alberto Garcia,
	zhanghailiang, Ben Warren, Alex Bennée, Halil Pasic,
	Kamil Rytarowski, Hervé Poussineau, Anthony Perard,
	Samuel Thibault, Laszlo Ersek, Jason Wang, Brad Smith,
	Laurent Vivier, Jiri Pirko, Eduardo Habkost, Xie Changlong,
	Riku Voipio, Peter Lieven, Dr. David Alan Gilbert,
	Beniamino Galvani, Alexander Bulekov, Alex Williamson,
	Ronnie Sahlberg, John Snow, Aarushi Mehta, Richard Henderson,
	Kevin Wolf, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy, Ed Maste, Chris Wulff,
	Laurent Vivier, Coiby Xu, Subbaraya Sundeep, Stefan Berger,
	Bastian Koppelmann, Igor Mammedov, Gerd Hoffmann, Fam Zheng,
	Peter Maydell, Anup Patel, Matthew Rosato, David Hildenbrand,
	Michael Tokarev, Thomas Huth, Max Filippov, Su Hang,
	Alistair Francis, Denis V. Lunev, Raphael Norwitz,
	Hannes Reinecke, Stefano Stabellini, Yoshinori Sato, Zhang Chen,
	Gonglei, Radoslaw Biernacki, Liu Yuan, Artyom Tarasenko,
	Eric Farman, Corey Minyard, Stefan Weil, Julia Suvorova,
	Greg Kurz, Cameron Esfahani, Niek Linnenbank, Jan Kiszka,
	Cédric Le Goater, Stafford Horne, Paul Burton,
	Igor Mitsyanko, Cornelia Huck, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,
	Tyrone Ting, Wenchao Wang, Michael Rolnik, Aurelien Jarno,
	Sagar Karandikar, Paul Durrant, Anthony Green, Bin Meng,
	Peter Xu, Colin Xu, Edgar E. Iglesias, Guan Xuetao, Ari Sundholm,
	Rob Herring, Juan Quintela, Michael Roth, Christian Borntraeger,
	Antony Pavlov, Jason Dillaman, Joel Stanley, Sergio Lopez,
	Mark Cave-Ayland, Fabien Chouteau, Roman Bolshakov, Cleber Rosa,
	Keith Busch, Sunil Muthuswamy, Eduardo Otubo, Viktor Prutyanov,
	Richard W.M. Jones, Max Reitz, Pavel Pisa, Dmitry Fleytman,
	Li Zhijian, Michael S. Tsirkin, Christian Schoenebeck,
	Vincenzo Maffione, Huacai Chen, Jiri Slaby, Peter Chubb,
	Marek Vasut, Jia Liu, Sven Schnelle, Havard Skinnemoen,
	Marc-André Lureau, Alistair Francis, Richard Henderson,
	Vikram Garhwal, Pavel Dovgalyuk, Giuseppe Lettieri, Luigi Rizzo,
	Li-Wen Hsu, David Gibson, Tony Krowiak, Daniel P. Berrange,
	Xiao Guangrong, Pierre Morel, Eric Auger, Thomas Huth,
	Wen Congyang, Marcelo Tosatti, Shannon Zhao, Palmer Dabbelt,
	Paolo Bonzini, Bin Meng, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé

If you're in the CC list, it's because you are listed in MAINTAINERS.

Paolo's QEMU keynote this morning mentioned the possible use of the
Gitlab issue tracker instead of using Launchpad.

I'm quite fond of the gitlab issue tracker, I think it works quite well
and it has pretty good and uncomplicated API access to it in order to
customize your workflow if you'd really like to.

In experimenting with my mirror on gitlab though, I was unable to find a
way to configure it to send issue tracker notifications to the email
list. A move to gitlab would likely mean, then:

1. The cessation of (automatic) issue tracker mails to the list
2. The loss of the ability to update the issue tracker by replying to
said emails
3. Anyone listed in MAINTAINERS would be expected to have a gitlab
account in order to interact with the issue tracker.

However, once you have a gitlab account, you DO gain the ability to
receive emails for issues; possibly only those tagged with labels that
you cared about -- giving a nice filtering mechanism to receive only
bugs you care about.

Gitlab also does support individual accounts updating issues using a
generated personalized email address, so if the email workflow is
crucial to you, it is still available.

I'm for it, or at least for beginning a pilot program where we
experiment with the idea for interested parties. I wanted to send up a
trial balloon to see how we were feeling about this.

--js