* [alsa-devel] Playback issue while recording simultaneously
@ 2019-12-06  5:22 Mohan Prasath Ramamoorthy
From: Mohan Prasath Ramamoorthy @ 2019-12-06  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Dear All,

We are working on external modules of microphone and speaker and we
are using the kernel version 3.10.96

We are recording with commands like arecord and aplay for recording
and playback respectively.

While doing the below experiments we could able to observe an issue as below,

1. With only recording and not playback we haven't faced any issues.
2. With only playback and not recording we haven't faced any issues.

3. By starting an infinite recording in the background and by doing a
playback of the audio file(30seconds, the sampling rate of 22050, the
channel is stereo), after some iterations, we are facing a below error
and we could not able to listen to the audio.

Error: aplay: pcm_write:1940: write error: Input/output error

Below are the respective commands for recording and playback,

1. arecord -D hw:0,0 -c 2 -f s16_le -r 8000 /home/ubuntu/mic_testing.wav &
2. aplay -D hw:0,3 audio_22k_c2.wav

But when the issues come, we just stopped recording and restarted the
recording in the background. After this, the playback is working fine.

Also, during the issue came, we have checked for the below properties,

1. I2S has been enabled. Checked under the file:
/sys/kernel/debug/clock/clock_tree
2. Driver callbacks have been called. (Checked with the kernel logs[dmesg])

We would like to know the reason behind this error.?

--

With Best Regards,

Mohan Prasath

VVDN Technologies Pvt Ltd

Cell: +91 9629768919

Web: www.vvdntech.com

--

_Disclaimer: _© 2019 VVDN Technologies Pvt. Ltd. This e-mail contains
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the

* Re: [alsa-devel] Playback issue while recording simultaneously
@ 2019-12-06 15:27 ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2019-12-06 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohan Prasath Ramamoorthy, alsa-devel

On 12/5/19 11:22 PM, Mohan Prasath Ramamoorthy wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We are working on external modules of microphone and speaker and we
> are using the kernel version 3.10.96

wow, that is one ancient kernel EOL'ed in 2017...

> We are recording with commands like arecord and aplay for recording
> and playback respectively.
>
> While doing the below experiments we could able to observe an issue as below,
>
> 1. With only recording and not playback we haven't faced any issues.
> 2. With only playback and not recording we haven't faced any issues.
>
> 3. By starting an infinite recording in the background and by doing a
> playback of the audio file(30seconds, the sampling rate of 22050, the
> channel is stereo), after some iterations, we are facing a below error
> and we could not able to listen to the audio.
>
> Error: aplay: pcm_write:1940: write error: Input/output error
>
> Below are the respective commands for recording and playback,
>
> 1. arecord -D hw:0,0 -c 2 -f s16_le -r 8000 /home/ubuntu/mic_testing.wav &
> 2. aplay -D hw:0,3 audio_22k_c2.wav
>
> But when the issues come, we just stopped recording and restarted the
> recording in the background. After this, the playback is working fine.
>
> Also, during the issue came, we have checked for the below properties,
>
> 1. I2S has been enabled. Checked under the file:
> /sys/kernel/debug/clock/clock_tree
> 2. Driver callbacks have been called. (Checked with the kernel logs[dmesg])
>
> We would like to know the reason behind this error.?

Sounds typical of an interference between the playback and record
programming flows, e.g. when changing a shared register. Not all I2S
tolerate dynamic changes from RX or TX only to full-duplex.

* Re: [alsa-devel] Playback issue while recording simultaneously
@ 2019-12-09  6:50   ` Mohan Prasath Ramamoorthy
From: Mohan Prasath Ramamoorthy @ 2019-12-09  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hi Pierre-Louis,

Thank you for your quick response.

Shall I know what does the below error mean?

aplay: pcm_write:1940: write error: Input/output error

@ 2019-12-18  4:36     ` Mohan Prasath Ramamoorthy
From: Mohan Prasath Ramamoorthy @ 2019-12-18  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hi Pierre-Louis,

Shall we get an update on this issue?

--

*With Best Regards,*

*Mohan Prasath*

VVDN Technologies Pvt Ltd

*Cell:* +91 9629768919

Web: www.vvdntech.com

--

@ 2019-12-18 14:45       ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2019-12-18 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohan Prasath Ramamoorthy; +Cc: alsa-devel

On 12/17/19 10:36 PM, Mohan Prasath Ramamoorthy wrote:
> Hi Pierre-Louis,
>
> Shall we get an update on this issue?

I was trying to be nice but emails with no details, no logs, no
information on kernel sequences are generally ignored by developers...
And unless you can show your issue happens on a recent kernel it's going
to be difficult to comment on code that's no longer supported by the
community.