* [Buildroot] version `GLIBC_2.27' not found
@ 2018-11-15 14:21 tochansky at tochlab.net
From: tochansky at tochlab.net @ 2018-11-15 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi!

I have a strange behavior of toolchain built by buildroot.

I made a toolchain on pc with gentoo linux and took it to kubuntu 16.04 LTS and ld reports:

/opt/moonshine/bin/x86_64-moonshine-linux-gnu-ld: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /opt/moonshine/bin/x86_64-moonshine-linux-gnu-ld)

same time /opt/moonshine/bin/x86_64-moonshine-linux-gnu-gcc works fine.

As I can see, there is glibc 2.27 on gentoo and 2.23 on kubuntu. Thing I can't understand is why other tools(gcc for example) works normal.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] version `GLIBC_2.27' not found
@ 2018-11-15 15:20 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2018-11-15 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 14:21:36 +0000, tochansky at tochlab.net wrote:

> I have a strange behavior of toolchain built by buildroot.
>
> I made a toolchain on pc with gentoo linux and took it to kubuntu 16.04 LTS and ld reports:
>
> /opt/moonshine/bin/x86_64-moonshine-linux-gnu-ld: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /opt/moonshine/bin/x86_64-moonshine-linux-gnu-ld)
>
> same time /opt/moonshine/bin/x86_64-moonshine-linux-gnu-gcc works fine.
>
> As I can see, there is glibc 2.27 on gentoo and 2.23 on kubuntu. Thing I can't understand is why other tools(gcc for example) works normal.

It depends on the glibc symbols they use. You need to build your
toolchain on a system that has a glibc <= 2.23.

You can also have a look@the pre-built toolchains available at
https://toolchains.bootlin.com/, we build them in chroots with old
system, specifically to make them as compatible as possible. The
"stable" toolchains are currently built inside a Debian Squeeze chroot,
while the "bleeding-edge" toolchains are built inside a Debian Jessie
chroot, because gdb 8.0 requires a C++11 capable compiler.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] version `GLIBC_2.27' not found
@ 2018-11-15 19:07 ` tochansky at tochlab.net
From: tochansky at tochlab.net @ 2018-11-15 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

15 ?????? 2018 ?., 18:20, "Thomas Petazzoni" <thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> ???????:

> It depends on the glibc symbols they use. You need to build your
> toolchain on a system that has a glibc <= 2.23.
I found that glibc was updated on gentoo to 2.27 few days ago, that's why I haven't see this problem before. Thanks for clarification, I was afraid that something goes wrong.

> You can also have a look at the pre-built toolchains available at
> https://toolchains.bootlin.com, we build them in chroots with old
> system, specifically to make them as compatible as possible. The
> "stable" toolchains are currently built inside a Debian Squeeze chroot,
> while the "bleeding-edge" toolchains are built inside a Debian Jessie
> chroot, because gdb 8.0 requires a C++11 capable compiler.
Thanks for useful link, Thomas.