* [Printing-architecture] Mopria has published the eSCL protocol specification
@ 2021-04-19 17:17 Alexander Pevzner
From: Alexander Pevzner @ 2021-04-19 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

Hi,

Mopria has published the eSCL protocol specification:

     https://mopria.org/spec-download

Basically, it's the same as scanning part of Apple AirPrint (Bonjour
scanning).

Also I think, it's effectively kills any need of IPP-scan.

We just should go ahead with eSCL. This protocol is simple,
well-defined, widely supported. As a bonus, well-written eSCL server can
export scanner to any Linux machine, any smartphone and any Apple device.

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz@apevzner.com)

* Re: [Printing-architecture] Mopria has published the eSCL protocol specification
@ 2021-04-19 18:38 ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2021-04-19 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Pevzner; +Cc: printing-architecture

Alexander,

Thanks for letting us know!

> On Apr 19, 2021, at 1:17 PM, Alexander Pevzner <pzz@apevzner.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Mopria has published the eSCL protocol specification:
>
>    https://mopria.org/spec-download
>
> Basically, it's the same as scanning part of Apple AirPrint (Bonjour scanning).
>
> Also I think, it's effectively kills any need of IPP-scan.
>
> We just should go ahead with eSCL. This protocol is simple, well-defined, widely supported. As a bonus, well-written eSCL server can export scanner to any Linux machine, any smartphone and any Apple device.
>
> --
>
> 	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz@apevzner.com)

________________________
Michael Sweet

* Re: [Printing-architecture] Mopria has published the eSCL protocol specification
@ 2021-04-20 16:13   ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2021-04-20 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sweet, Alexander Pevzner; +Cc: printing-architecture

Question is now whether we should implement the new architecture of
Scanner Applications/sandboxable scanner drivers with eSCL or whether we
should use IPP Scan.

eSCL is probably easier to implement, as we have sane-airscan containing
all client code and AirSane containing the server code, both needing to
get updated to fully comply with the public eSCL standard and their code
being moved into (a) library/ies, so that one can easily integrate it
with PAPPL. No need to implement a new protocol completely from scratch.

On the other side with IPP Scan we have more consistency as all the rest
(printing, IPP System Service) is also IPP.

WDYT?

    Till

@ 2021-04-20 16:42     ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2021-04-20 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: printing-architecture

Till,

I think I've made my position clear.  Until the industry adopts IPP Scan, there is little point in pushing for it, and eSCL is what new MFPs implement.

Andrew Mitchell (HP) tried to do an IPP Scan before AirPrint adopted eSCL, and then a couple years later Pete Zehler finished the current IPP Scan to convince Mopria to use IPP for scanning instead of eSCL, but since Apple had already adopted eSCL for AirPrint it was a losing battle.

There are new discussions between Microsoft and the PWG concerning cloud scanning, and since they adopted IPP for their Universal Print Service (part of the cloud-based Azure ActiveDirectory work) they may decide they want to use IPP Scan for that, but things are so early in discussions I wouldn't keep your hopes up!

IMHO our efforts are best focused on supporting eSCL.  If, in the future, IPP Scan gets a place at the table then we can support that protocol as well.