* [Buildroot] package/bcc in buildroot ?
@ 2022-07-05  8:41 Federico Pellegrin
From: Federico Pellegrin @ 2022-07-05  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot, jugurtha.belkalem, romain.naour

Hello,
Lately I was looking at the necessity to integrate bcc in buildroot for one
of our projects.
I've seen that in the not too far past there was a few attempts to
integrate this, namely this should be the latest patch:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/patch/20201220151203.2206747-2-romain.naour@gmail.com/

I've for the time being tested that patch against buildroot master and it
works. I also bumped the bcc version to the latests available (0.24.0) and
besides very little changes (to one of the two patches) it also built
successfully.

I was wondering if there was still interest to add this as a standard
package as it would then be more useful to everyone and easier to maintain.
I could give a hand of course to try to do this if possible.

Reviewing the open points for the patch:
-) The two patches are still not upstreamed (not sure if there was an
attempt to upstream or not)
-) I guess some work would be needed around the dependencies as suggested
in the review, but hopefully there is no big showstopper.

Many thanks,
Federico

* Re: [Buildroot] package/bcc in buildroot ?
@ 2022-07-08 12:17 ` Romain Naour
From: Romain Naour @ 2022-07-08 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Pellegrin, buildroot, jugurtha.belkalem, romain.naour

Hello Federico,

Le 05/07/2022 à 10:41, Federico Pellegrin a écrit :

> Hello,
> Lately I was looking at the necessity to integrate bcc in buildroot for one of
> our projects.
> I've seen that in the not too far past there was a few attempts to integrate
> this, namely this should be the latest patch:
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/patch/20201220151203.2206747-2-romain.naour@gmail.com/
> <https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/patch/20201220151203.2206747-2-romain.naour@gmail.com/>
>
> I've for the time being tested that patch against buildroot master and it works.
> I also bumped the bcc version to the latests available (0.24.0) and besides very
> little changes (to one of the two patches) it also built successfully.
>
> I was wondering if there was still interest to add this as a standard package as
> it would then be more useful to everyone and easier to maintain. I could give a
> hand of course to try to do this if possible.
>
> Reviewing the open points for the patch:
> -) The two patches are still not upstreamed (not sure if there was an attempt to
> upstream or not)
> -) I guess some work would be needed around the dependencies as suggested in the
> review, but hopefully there is no big showstopper.

Feel free to send an updated version of this patch series.

We had some help and review from Qais Yousef, I suggest to add him in Cc.

Also you may be interested by ply instead (already in Buildroot):

https://fosdem.org/2022/schedule/event/ply_ebpf/

Best regards,
Romain