* Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-01 13:37 Pavel Roskin
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2009-06-01 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Hello!

It looks like savannah.gnu.org has suffered a data loss.  The last valid
backup is for April.  Please see http://savannah.gnu.org/ for details.

My git mirror git://repo.or.cz/grub2.git should be up-to-date, as it was
mirrored by a cron job twice an hour.

Since now having a repository affects out effectiveness, we may opt to
switch to a git repository.  The git service is down now, but the status
report says it will be restarted soon:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-users/2009-05/msg00023.html

Alternatively, we could convert the git repository at repo.or.cz to
Subversion.

Pavel Roskin

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-01 14:00 ` James Jarvis
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: James Jarvis @ 2009-06-01 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Hi Pavel,

If needed (unlikely) I have a checkout of Rev 2238 (2009-05-27).

Cheers,

James

Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> It looks like savannah.gnu.org has suffered a data loss.  The last valid
> backup is for April.  Please see http://savannah.gnu.org/ for details.
>
> My git mirror git://repo.or.cz/grub2.git should be up-to-date, as it was
> mirrored by a cron job twice an hour.
>
> Since now having a repository affects out effectiveness, we may opt to
> switch to a git repository.  The git service is down now, but the status
> report says it will be restarted soon:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-users/2009-05/msg00023.html
>
> Alternatively, we could convert the git repository at repo.or.cz to
> Subversion.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-01 14:11 ` Michael Gorven
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Gorven @ 2009-06-01 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Monday 01 June 2009 15:37:23 Pavel Roskin wrote:
> My git mirror git://repo.or.cz/grub2.git should be up-to-date, as it was
> mirrored by a cron job twice an hour.

I have a Bazaar repo up to r2240 (2009-05-28 22:08:33) and a Mercurial repo up
to r2238 (Tue May 26 23:19:42) if it helps.

Michael

--
http://michael.gorven.za.net
PGP Key ID 6612FE85

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-01 14:22 ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2009-06-01 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> It looks like savannah.gnu.org has suffered a data loss.  The last valid
> backup is for April.  Please see http://savannah.gnu.org/ for details.
>
> My git mirror git://repo.or.cz/grub2.git should be up-to-date, as it was
> mirrored by a cron job twice an hour.
>
> Since now having a repository affects out effectiveness, we may opt to
> switch to a git repository.  The git service is down now, but the status
> report says it will be restarted soon:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-users/2009-05/msg00023.html
I say we should go for git. It would safeguard us from possible future
problems with savannah as we can easily switch between different git
mirrors. Additionally the main argument not to switch to git was that
it doesn't give much benefit considering the effort. Now when it's
more effort to have a complete svn rather than git I think git is
better solution

> Alternatively, we could convert the git repository at repo.or.cz to
> Subversion.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Pavel Roskin

Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-01 14:31   ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2009-06-01 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Quoting James Jarvis <James.Jarvis@ed.ac.uk>:

> Hi Pavel,
>
> If needed (unlikely) I have a checkout of Rev 2238 (2009-05-27).

The git repository ends at the revision 2240, which is newer.

Pavel Roskin

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-01 14:50   ` Michael Gorven
From: Michael Gorven @ 2009-06-01 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Monday 01 June 2009 16:22:12 Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> I say we should go for git. It would safeguard us from possible future
> problems with savannah as we can easily switch between different git
> mirrors. Additionally the main argument not to switch to git was that
> it doesn't give much benefit considering the effort. Now when it's
> more effort to have a complete svn rather than git I think git is
> better solution

I've found Bazaar the nicest to work with out of the major DVCSs. I also think
that it has the lowest learning curve from Subversion (e.g. bound branches
basically behave like SVN checkouts).

Michael

--
http://michael.gorven.za.net
PGP Key ID 6612FE85

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-01 14:53   ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2009-06-01 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

"Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko" <phcoder@gmail.com> writes:

> I say we should go for git. It would safeguard us from possible future
> problems with savannah as we can easily switch between different git
> mirrors. Additionally the main argument not to switch to git was that
> it doesn't give much benefit considering the effort. Now when it's
> more effort to have a complete svn rather than git I think git is
> better solution

+1 :-)

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-01 14:59     ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2009-06-01 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Michael Gorven <michael@gorven.za.net> wrote:
> On Monday 01 June 2009 16:22:12 Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>> I say we should go for git. It would safeguard us from possible future
>> problems with savannah as we can easily switch between different git
>> mirrors. Additionally the main argument not to switch to git was that
>> it doesn't give much benefit considering the effort. Now when it's
>> more effort to have a complete svn rather than git I think git is
>> better solution
>
> I've found Bazaar the nicest to work with out of the major DVCSs. I also think
> that it has the lowest learning curve from Subversion (e.g. bound branches
> basically behave like SVN checkouts).
git has advantage of being supported on savannah

> Michael
>
> --
> http://michael.gorven.za.net
> PGP Key ID 6612FE85
> S/MIME Key ID AAF09E0E

Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-01 16:45       ` Bruce O. Benson
From: Bruce O. Benson @ 2009-06-01 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko <
phcoder@gmail.com> wrote:

> git has advantage of being supported on savannah

Git is nice.
Also, any SCCS that has a secondary http method of access helps when
checkouts come from behind corporate firewalls.

--
Bruce O. Benson, mailto:bbenson@gmail.com | http://www.tux.org
Donating spare CPU to science: Folding@home Team Debian (#2019)

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-06-01 20:09 ` Felix Zielcke
From: Felix Zielcke @ 2009-06-01 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Am Montag, den 01.06.2009, 09:37 -0400 schrieb Pavel Roskin:

> My git mirror git://repo.or.cz/grub2.git should be up-to-date, as it was
> mirrored by a cron job twice an hour.

It is. The last commit made was by you with rev 2240
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/commit-grub/2009-05/index.html

By the way I linked now the git mirror in the wiki.
--
Felix Zielcke

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-01 20:48       ` Colin Watson
From: Colin Watson @ 2009-06-01 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 04:59:05PM +0200, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Michael Gorven <michael@gorven.za.net> wrote:
> > I've found Bazaar the nicest to work with out of the major DVCSs. I also think
> > that it has the lowest learning curve from Subversion (e.g. bound branches
> > basically behave like SVN checkouts).
>
> git has advantage of being supported on savannah

Not that it's really any of my business, but just as a point of
information since you raised this as a point in git's favour over
Bazaar: Bazaar works fine on Savannah too. From another project:

  $ bzr push
  Using saved push location: bzr+ssh://bzr.sv.gnu.org/man-db/trunk

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-06-01 21:12 ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2009-06-01 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel, proski

From: Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 09:37:23 -0400

> Since now having a repository affects out effectiveness, we may opt to
> switch to a git repository.

Yes, please, let's do this :-)

* RE: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-01 21:23   ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2009-06-01 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The development of GRUB 2'

Hello!
A suggestion. If we do indeed switch from subversion to git for a repository
then we'll need to post easy to use and understand instructions.

These instructions should include all of the steps necessary to create a
local one for the user, and how to manage it.

For myself I prefer subversion, but I am willing to work with this incoming
git one. Just anything except bitkeeper I had a heck of a lot of problems
with it.
--
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net

* RE: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-02  6:46     ` Felix Zielcke
From: Felix Zielcke @ 2009-06-02  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

We could just link to http://git-scm.com/course/svn.html
There some other tutorials/guides too http://git-scm.com/documentation
--
Felix Zielcke

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-06-02 10:13 ` Felix Zielcke
From: Felix Zielcke @ 2009-06-02 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Am Montag, den 01.06.2009, 09:37 -0400 schrieb Pavel Roskin:
> It looks like savannah.gnu.org has suffered a data loss.  The last
> valid
> backup is for April.  Please see http://savannah.gnu.org/ for details.
>
> Since now having a repository affects out effectiveness, we may opt to
> switch to a git repository.  The git service is down now, but the
> status
> report says it will be restarted soon:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-users/2009-05/msg00023.html

Savannah has recovered now:
https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=5828

I checked out both their SVN backups with rsync.
The April one seems to be really working but the incomplete May not:
$ svnadmin verify grub-new
svnadmin: No such revision 0
The April one is up to rev 2148.

So now we have to decide what to do.

Unfortunately Okuji already objected against git [0]
Though I don't understand why the 3-way merge could be a problem. With
SVN you even can't do local commits and with git you don't need to use
them if you have fear. Or even merging from other people like the Kernel
team does. We could still use it more like SVN.

[0] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2007-12/msg00094.html
--
Felix Zielcke

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-02 10:48   ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2009-06-02 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel, fzielcke

From: Felix Zielcke <fzielcke@z-51.de>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 12:13:02 +0200

> Unfortunately Okuji already objected against git [0]

That was a year and a half ago, and how much has Okuji even made
postings to this mailing list lately?

Remind me what the definition of "maintainer" is?

I think the people actually doing the work of implementing things and
fixing bugs should make this decision, rather than someone who hasn't
the time to contribute in any way at all.

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-02 15:17     ` Marco Gerards
From: Marco Gerards @ 2009-06-02 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2; +Cc: fzielcke

David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> writes:

> From: Felix Zielcke <fzielcke@z-51.de>
> Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 12:13:02 +0200
>
>> Unfortunately Okuji already objected against git [0]
>
> That was a year and a half ago, and how much has Okuji even made
> postings to this mailing list lately?
>
> Remind me what the definition of "maintainer" is?
>
> I think the people actually doing the work of implementing things and
> fixing bugs should make this decision, rather than someone who hasn't
> the time to contribute in any way at all.

No offense, but didn't Okuji implement more than most of us did?  He
actually wrote all the intial code of GRUB 2 from scratch.

Besides that, a maintainer has to take care that the project remains a
true GNU project.

--
Marco

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-02 20:54       ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2009-06-02 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel, mgerards; +Cc: fzielcke

From: Marco Gerards <mgerards@xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 17:17:46 +0200

> No offense, but didn't Okuji implement more than most of us did?  He
> actually wrote all the intial code of GRUB 2 from scratch.

RMS did the same for GCC, but now he concentrates his efforts
on other activities and doesn't pretend to be the GCC maintainer.

> Besides that, a maintainer has to take care that the project remains a
> true GNU project.

I think I know this, as I'm on the GCC steering committee since it's
inception.

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-02 21:12         ` Felix Zielcke
From: Felix Zielcke @ 2009-06-02 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Am Dienstag, den 02.06.2009, 13:54 -0700 schrieb David Miller:
> From: Marco Gerards <mgerards@xs4all.nl>
> Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 17:17:46 +0200
>
> > No offense, but didn't Okuji implement more than most of us did?  He
> > actually wrote all the intial code of GRUB 2 from scratch.
>
> RMS did the same for GCC, but now he concentrates his efforts
> on other activities and doesn't pretend to be the GCC maintainer.

Okuji already said once [0] that he could add a new co-maintainer.
The only reply was from Robert [1] that he doestn't have time.
I wonder why I didn't reply. Well anyway I would have time but I don't
think I would be a good GNU maintainer, especially for reviewing other
patches. Ugh.

[0] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2008-10/msg00114.html
[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2008-11/msg00006.html
--
Felix Zielcke

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-03  5:28           ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2009-06-03  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel, fzielcke

From: Felix Zielcke <fzielcke@z-51.de>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 23:12:15 +0200

> Okuji already said once [0] that he could add a new co-maintainer.
> The only reply was from Robert [1] that he doestn't have time.
> I wonder why I didn't reply. Well anyway I would have time but I don't
> think I would be a good GNU maintainer, especially for reviewing other
> patches. Ugh.

Personally, I would be more than happy to see you in this role.

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-03  9:18           ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2009-06-03  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Felix Zielcke <fzielcke@z-51.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 02.06.2009, 13:54 -0700 schrieb David Miller:
>> From: Marco Gerards <mgerards@xs4all.nl>
>> Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 17:17:46 +0200
>>
>> > No offense, but didn't Okuji implement more than most of us did?  He
>> > actually wrote all the intial code of GRUB 2 from scratch.
>>
>> RMS did the same for GCC, but now he concentrates his efforts
>> on other activities and doesn't pretend to be the GCC maintainer.
>

> Okuji already said once [0] that he could add a new co-maintainer.
> The only reply was from Robert [1] that he doestn't have time.
> I wonder why I didn't reply. Well anyway I would have time but I don't
> think I would be a good GNU maintainer, especially for reviewing other
> patches. Ugh.
If I choose not to accelerate my studies I would have time to be a
co-maintainer. I like gnu and grub2 and hate to see the current state
of things. However I don't think I would be a good candidate: I have
only some knowledge of licensing and have only recently signed the
copyright assignment. If the community disagrees with the last
statement I would be happy to assume this role

> [0] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2008-10/msg00114.html
> [1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2008-11/msg00006.html
> --
> Felix Zielcke

Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-03 13:28   ` Felix Zielcke
From: Felix Zielcke @ 2009-06-03 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Am Dienstag, den 02.06.2009, 12:13 +0200 schrieb Felix Zielcke:
> Savannah has recovered now:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=5828
>
> I checked out both their SVN backups with rsync.
> The April one seems to be really working but the incomplete May not:
> $ svnadmin verify grub-new
> svnadmin: No such revision 0
> The April one is up to rev 2148.
>
> So now we have to decide what to do.

Luckly they now found a working backup from May 27 [0]

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-users/2009-06/msg00027.html
I checked it out with rsync and verified it with `svnadmin verify'
It's up to rev 2238 so we only have to do 2 commits again.

--
Felix Zielcke

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-03 13:51     ` Felix Zielcke
From: Felix Zielcke @ 2009-06-03 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Am Mittwoch, den 03.06.2009, 15:28 +0200 schrieb Felix Zielcke:

> Luckly they now found a working backup from May 27 [0]
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-users/2009-06/msg00027.html
> I checked it out with rsync and verified it with `svnadmin verify'
> It's up to rev 2238 so we only have to do 2 commits again.

Just noticed that they actually even restored it to that backup.
I commited the 2 missing revs now, so we're back in business again.
--
Felix Zielcke

* Re: Data loss at savannah.gnu.org
@ 2009-06-03 17:14       ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2009-06-03 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 15:51 +0200, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 03.06.2009, 15:28 +0200 schrieb Felix Zielcke:
> >
> > Luckly they now found a working backup from May 27 [0]
> >
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-users/2009-06/msg00027.html
> > I checked it out with rsync and verified it with `svnadmin verify'
> > It's up to rev 2238 so we only have to do 2 commits again.
>
> Just noticed that they actually even restored it to that backup.
> I commited the 2 missing revs now, so we're back in business again.

Thank you!  The git mirroring is continuing.  Now back to coding.

Pavel Roskin