* Spurious/undocumented EINTR from io_uring_enter
@ 2020-04-07 20:36 Joseph Christopher Sible
From: Joseph Christopher Sible @ 2020-04-07 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'io-uring@vger.kernel.org'

When a process is blocking in io_uring_enter, and a signal stops it for
any reason, it returns -EINTR to userspace. Two comments about this:

1. https://github.com/axboe/liburing/blob/master/man/io_uring_enter.2
   doesn't mention EINTR as a possible error that it can return.
2. When there's no signal handler, and a signal stopped the syscall for
   some other reason (e.g., SIGSTOP, SIGTSTP, or any signal when the
   process is being traced), other syscalls (e.g., read) will be
   restarted transparently, but this one will return to userspace
   with -EINTR just as if there were a signal handler.

Point 1 seems like a no-brainer. I'm not sure if point 2 is possible
to fix, though, especially since some other syscalls (e.g., epoll_wait)
have the same problem as this one.

Joseph C. Sible

* Re: Spurious/undocumented EINTR from io_uring_enter
@ 2020-04-07 21:41 ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2020-04-07 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Christopher Sible, 'io-uring@vger.kernel.org'

On 4/7/20 1:36 PM, Joseph Christopher Sible wrote:
> When a process is blocking in io_uring_enter, and a signal stops it for
> any reason, it returns -EINTR to userspace. Two comments about this:
>
> 1. https://github.com/axboe/liburing/blob/master/man/io_uring_enter.2
>    doesn't mention EINTR as a possible error that it can return.

I'll add it to the man page.

> 2. When there's no signal handler, and a signal stopped the syscall for
>    some other reason (e.g., SIGSTOP, SIGTSTP, or any signal when the
>    process is being traced), other syscalls (e.g., read) will be
>    restarted transparently, but this one will return to userspace
>    with -EINTR just as if there were a signal handler.
>
> Point 1 seems like a no-brainer. I'm not sure if point 2 is possible
> to fix, though, especially since some other syscalls (e.g., epoll_wait)
> have the same problem as this one.

Lots of system calls return -EINTR if interrupted by a signal, don't
think there's anything worth fixing there. For the wait part, the
application may want to handle the signal before we can wait again.
We can't go to sleep with a pending signal.

--
Jens Axboe

* RE: Spurious/undocumented EINTR from io_uring_enter
@ 2020-04-08 16:41   ` Joseph Christopher Sible
From: Joseph Christopher Sible @ 2020-04-08 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jens Axboe', 'io-uring@vger.kernel.org'

On 4/7/20 5:42 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> Lots of system calls return -EINTR if interrupted by a signal, don't
> think there's anything worth fixing there. For the wait part, the
> application may want to handle the signal before we can wait again.
> We can't go to sleep with a pending signal.

This seems to be an unambiguous bug, at least according to the BUGS
section of the ptrace man page. The behavior of epoll_wait is explicitly
called out as being buggy/wrong, and we're emulating its behavior. As
for the application wanting to handle the signal, in those cases, it
would choose to install a signal handler, in which case I absolutely
agree that returning -EINTR is the right thing to do. I'm only talking
about the case where the application didn't choose to install a signal
handler (and the signal would have been completely invisible to the
process had it not been being traced).

@ 2020-04-08 17:49     ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2020-04-08 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Christopher Sible, 'io-uring@vger.kernel.org'

On 4/8/20 9:41 AM, Joseph Christopher Sible wrote:
> On 4/7/20 5:42 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
>> Lots of system calls return -EINTR if interrupted by a signal, don't
>> think there's anything worth fixing there. For the wait part, the
>> application may want to handle the signal before we can wait again.
>> We can't go to sleep with a pending signal.
>
> This seems to be an unambiguous bug, at least according to the BUGS
> section of the ptrace man page. The behavior of epoll_wait is explicitly
> called out as being buggy/wrong, and we're emulating its behavior. As
> for the application wanting to handle the signal, in those cases, it
> would choose to install a signal handler, in which case I absolutely
> agree that returning -EINTR is the right thing to do. I'm only talking
> about the case where the application didn't choose to install a signal
> handler (and the signal would have been completely invisible to the
> process had it not been being traced).

So what do you suggest? The only recurse the kernel has is to flush
signals, which would just delete the signal completely. It's a wait
operation, and you cannot wait with signals pending. The only
wait to retry is to return the number of events we already got, or
-EINTR if we got none, and return to userspace. That'll ensure the
signal gets handled, and the app must then call wait again if it
wants to wait for more.

There's no "emulating behavior" here, you make it sound like we're
trying to be bug compatible with some random other system call.
That's not the case at all.

--
Jens Axboe

* RE: Spurious/undocumented EINTR from io_uring_enter
@ 2020-04-08 18:57       ` Joseph Christopher Sible
From: Joseph Christopher Sible @ 2020-04-08 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jens Axboe', 'io-uring@vger.kernel.org'

On 4/8/20 1:49 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 4/8/20 9:41 AM, Joseph Christopher Sible wrote:
> > On 4/7/20 5:42 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> >> Lots of system calls return -EINTR if interrupted by a signal, don't
> >> think there's anything worth fixing there. For the wait part, the
> >> application may want to handle the signal before we can wait again.
> >> We can't go to sleep with a pending signal.
> >
> > This seems to be an unambiguous bug, at least according to the BUGS
> > section of the ptrace man page. The behavior of epoll_wait is
> > explicitly called out as being buggy/wrong, and we're emulating its
> > behavior. As for the application wanting to handle the signal, in
> > those cases, it would choose to install a signal handler, in which
> > case I absolutely agree that returning -EINTR is the right thing to
> > do. I'm only talking about the case where the application didn't
> > choose to install a signal handler (and the signal would have been
> > completely invisible to the process had it not been being traced).
>
> So what do you suggest? The only recurse the kernel has is to flush signals,
> which would just delete the signal completely. It's a wait operation, and you
> cannot wait with signals pending. The only wait to retry is to return the
> number of events we already got, or -EINTR if we got none, and return to
> userspace. That'll ensure the signal gets handled, and the app must then call
> wait again if it wants to wait for more.
>
> There's no "emulating behavior" here, you make it sound like we're trying to
> be bug compatible with some random other system call.
> That's not the case at all.

Sorry, I used "emulating" in the informal sense. I just meant that we
happen to have the same bug that epoll_wait does, that most other
syscalls don't. Anyway, I'd like it to work like the select syscall
works. Consider this program:

#include <signal.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/select.h>
#include <unistd.h>

void handle(int s) {
  write(1, "In signal handler\n", 18);
}

int main(void) {
  struct sigaction act = { .sa_handler = handle };
  struct timeval t = { .tv_sec = 10 };
  fd_set set;
  FD_ZERO(&set);
  sigaction(SIGUSR1, &act, NULL);
  select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, &t);
  perror("select");
  return 0;
}

You can do any of the following to that program and it will still finish
its full 10 seconds and output "Success":

* Stop it with Ctrl+Z then resume it with fg
* Attach to it with strace or gdb while it's already running
* Start it under strace or gdb, then resize the terminal window while
  it's running

The only thing that it will make it output "Interrupted system call" is
if you "kill -USR1" it, resulting in its signal handler being called. It
looks like what's happening is that the syscall really is getting
stopped by the other signals, but once the kernel determines that the
process isn't going to see that particular signal, it restarts the
syscall from where it left off automatically. I think this is how almost
all of the syscalls in the kernel work.

However, if you run a similar program to that one, but that uses
io_uring_enter instead of select, then doing any of the 3 things on that
list will make it output "Interrupted system call", even though no
signal handler ran. This is the behavior that I'm saying is buggy and
similar to epoll_wait, and that I'd like to see changed.

Joseph C. Sible