* [U-Boot]  Problems porting new u-boot
@ 2009-08-06 12:00 Alemao
From: Alemao @ 2009-08-06 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi all,

Im having problems porting u-boot-2009.03 to a MPC8541 board.

In u-boot-1.2.0, if I use TEXT_BASE = 0xfff00000, u-boot.bin is
created with 1MB size.

But in u-boot-2009.03 it's created with only 516kB.

In cpu/mpc85xx/start.S says:

"The processor starts at 0xfffffffc and the code is first executed in
the last 4K page(0xfffff000-0xffffffff) in flash/rom."

So I think there's nothing in 0xfffffffc, using u-boot.bin from
u-boot-2009.03, cause it only has 516kB.

Do I have to set TEXT_BASE with the exact u-boot.bin size?

Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

--
Alemao

* [U-Boot] Problems porting new u-boot
@ 2009-08-06 12:47 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-08-06 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Alemao,

In message <d970ff420908060500j77fb4ea3kcd93f611269208b2@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Im having problems porting u-boot-2009.03 to a MPC8541 board.
>
> In u-boot-1.2.0, if I use TEXT_BASE = 0xfff00000, u-boot.bin is
> created with 1MB size.

Sounds like a waste of flash memoory ?

> But in u-boot-2009.03 it's created with only 516kB.

Looks incorrect.

> Do I have to set TEXT_BASE with the exact u-boot.bin size?

No.

> Or am I missing something?

Obviously yes.

But as you share no relevant information, it's impossible even to
guess what might be wrong in your configuration.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The moral of the story is: "Don't stop to  tighten  your  shoe  laces
during the Olympics 100m finals".
                             - Kevin Jones in <DEJo68.K1t@bri.hp.com>

* [U-Boot] Problems porting new u-boot
@ 2009-08-06 13:29 ` Jerry Van Baren
From: Jerry Van Baren @ 2009-08-06 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Alemao,

Alemao wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Im having problems porting u-boot-2009.03 to a MPC8541 board.
>
> In u-boot-1.2.0, if I use TEXT_BASE = 0xfff00000, u-boot.bin is
> created with 1MB size.

The .bin file is a binary image from the first location 0xfff00000
*contiguously filled* to the last location (the start vector at
0xfffffffc).  U-Boot isn't that big, most of it is empty space, but your
creation of a 0xFF-filled .bin file fills in the empty spaces.

> But in u-boot-2009.03 it's created with only 516kB.

Your text base was probably 0xfff80000.

> In cpu/mpc85xx/start.S says:
>
> "The processor starts at 0xfffffffc and the code is first executed in
> the last 4K page(0xfffff000-0xffffffff) in flash/rom."
>
> So I think there's nothing in 0xfffffffc, using u-boot.bin from
> u-boot-2009.03, cause it only has 516kB.
>
> Do I have to set TEXT_BASE with the exact u-boot.bin size?
>
> Or am I missing something?

* Don't use a .bin file (use the linker elf output directly)?
* Does it matter?

Do you need to set your text base to 0xfff00000?  You are better off
setting your text base so that your u-boot and reset vector are close
together.  You did not say what processor you are using, but it sounds
like a MPC74xx or MPC86xx or MPC85xx?  I played with a MPC8548 and
reconfigured it so that my u-boot was the last two sectors of flash and
the env variables were saved in the sector *preceding* the u-boot image.
  That worked very nicely.

The typical u-boot places the env sector after the u-boot image, which
works in most cases but doesn't work well where the top page/bytes of
the memory are the reset vector.  In those cases, it is better to have
U-Boot and the reset vector/page at the top of memory and the env sector
below U-Boot, otherwise you end up with the env taking a whole sector
out of the middle plus waste another whole sector just to hold your
reset vector/page.

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Alemao

Best regards,
gvb

* [U-Boot] Problems porting new u-boot
@ 2009-08-06 13:38   ` Jerry Van Baren
From: Jerry Van Baren @ 2009-08-06 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Jerry Van Baren wrote:
> Hi Alemao,
>
> Alemao wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Im having problems porting u-boot-2009.03 to a MPC8541 board.
                                                   ^^^^^^^
[snip]

> You did not say what processor you are using, but it sounds
> like a MPC74xx or MPC86xx or MPC85xx?

Argh, some days I read.  Other days... <rolls eyes>

gvb

* [U-Boot] Problems porting new u-boot
@ 2009-08-06 14:24     ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-08-06 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Jerry Van Baren,

In message <4A7ADCC8.9040308@ge.com> you wrote:

> Argh, some days I read.  Other days... <rolls eyes>

With a little training you probably can learn to read _while_ rolling
your eyes :-)

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"If God had wanted us to use the metric system, Jesus would have  had
10 apostles."

* [U-Boot] Problems porting new u-boot
@ 2009-08-06 16:36   ` Alemao
From: Alemao @ 2009-08-06 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Thanks for the quick responses.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Actually it doesn't need to be so big, to justify use TEXT_BASE
0xfff00000. Im really wasting flash memory.

The problem is that in U-Boot-1.2.0, u-boot.bin gets filled, and in
U-Boot-2009.03 seems that objcopy doesn't fill the right size.

I tried just change TEXT_BASE for MPC8541CDS board, setting it to
0xfff00000. In U-Boot-1.2.0 was ok, but in U-Boot-2009.03 u-boot.bin
was only 512kB, and it should be 1MB

Then I tried TEXT_BASE = 0xffb00000:

U-Boot-1.2.0 -> u-boot.bin 5MB
U-Boot-2009.03 -> u-boot.bin 512kB

It seems that another variable is limiting the size to 512kB.

Cheers,

--
Alemao